PDA

View Full Version : BCal Commuter

Chillwinston
6th Mar 2003, 11:06
Am trying to research the histories of the airlines that operated for the Bcal commuter program, these A/L's were Genair, Metropolitan, Brymon, Guernsey A/L. Know a fair bit about Genair (Eastern Aw / Cassair / Genair merger) and Brmon but anyone out there with further info would be appreciative, especially photo's / history of Cassair.

surely not
6th Mar 2003, 17:01
Jersey European operated a DH6 Twin Otter in BCal Commuter colours for a short while. Reg was G-OJEA and when it first appeared on stand 97 at LGW we had a bit of a giggle because on one side of the fin the JEA stylised script was in mirror image and back to front!

Brymon never operated with BCal flight numbers and kept to their BC prefix, BC20- for the BHX route and BC72- for the PLH route.

British Air Ferries also operated a Viscount in BCal Commuter colours whilst it covered the mid day BRU service. The first scheme was applied without approval from BCal and had to be changed.

Great concept and a shame it went the way of most things when BA got their hands on BCal.:(

In trim
7th Mar 2003, 12:34
Also Connectair was a BCal commuter operator until taken over by Air Europe and re-branded as Air Europe Express. Bandeirantes and Shorts 330s.

Chillwinston
14th Mar 2003, 09:08
Genair operated out of Liverpool - Bandys (Brown Livery, photo's??), Eastern operated out of Humberside - DC-3, SD330 (Ex-Time Air??) and SD360, believe Cassair operated out of Teeside??, SD330 (Photo's?)

Also anyone have information of other airlines that operated out of HUY, Skyrover (Bandy), Citibus (To LCA with Do228) would be appreciated

Many Thanks for the submissions so far

CandyBender
14th Mar 2003, 11:10
Genair (the original LPL based incarnation) operated 4xdaily LPL-LGW, 2xdaily LPL-AMS & a weekend LPL-NQY service......not sure of dates 1980-82ish.

surely not
16th Mar 2003, 19:13
The BCal Commuter Section started in 1982 and lasted until about 6 months after the takeover by BA.

Genair operated a variety of routes after they had taken over Casair and Eastern (mark 1) but into LGW started with a LPL-LGW service on a Bandit adding LBA-LGW quite quickly. An Air Ecosse Shorts 330 was used to start the LBA route off.

The Genair livery was a collection of orangey red stripes which changed to the BCal Commuter livery.

Thunderball
17th Mar 2003, 18:13
...and don't forget the "Amsterdam Freighter" operated for BCAL by Air Atlantique as a (sort of) precursor to the passenger feeder network. It ran for a year or two in the late 70s.

MerchantVenturer
17th Mar 2003, 19:06
Can anyone expound on Metropolitan, mentioned in Chillwinston's post that started this thread?

I vaguely remember seeing a daily Metropolitan flight at BRS in the early 80s. Don't know where it came from/went to and can't remember the type of aircraft.

surely not
17th Mar 2003, 19:31
Metropolitan flew LGW-BOH then on to Cherbourg with a BN-2 Islander. Some real characters for pilots, and a couple of female regular passengers who could only just fit through the door!!
I think I remember that they grew up to a Shorts 330 (but not out of LGW) before running out of money.

Chillwinston
18th Mar 2003, 09:54
Did metropolitan also operate the DHC-6?

What was their route network, apart from what was has been mentioned?

Did BCal pay the commuter airlines a set fee for every passenger / aircraft or was it just the small commuter airlines being marketed by BCal, anyone shed any light on this??

Genair also operated a golden eagle for the parent company, General Relays (Crewe) Ltd but was damadged in a landing accident at Norwich, I believe, anyone confirm??

No longer ATC
3rd Apr 2003, 03:18
Genair indeed did have a C421 Golden Eagle..reg escapes me now....don't recall it ever in BCAL colours though....I was in ATC at LPL 1982-85 and all Genair/Eastern/Casair stuff appeared there..they also operated a LHR-NWI-HUY service which was frequently overbooked...Genair bandits were GRLAY-GBHYT-GRVIP and GBGCS. Believe CS was rumoured to be "bent"..didnt fly in straight line! Metropolitan did operate Twotters, can only remember GBELS in Danair colours, but there was at least one other..hope this helps..

madscotsman
3rd Apr 2003, 23:35
For info in the early 80s, Genair operated an SD330 from Loganair, these rotated between G-BGNA + G-BIRN.

From memory, Metroplitan had 2 x Twin Otters (Dan Air colours?) both of which were ex Loganair.

regs escape me.

I think the SH330 which flew with Metropolitan (for a while at least!) was also G-BGNA.

Those were the days...the old vomit comet (at least that's what they called her in Loganair).

Chillwinston
4th Apr 2003, 17:56
Thanks all for your help, any mamories most appreciated

Still keen for info on Cassair and Eastern (pre Genair merger)

Regarding the Golden Eagle, believe the u/c collasped on landing at Norwich, was leased from Air & General Finance but was not repaired prior to the collaspe of the airline in April 84.

Also would appreciate any informatio on the parent company General Relays (Crewe), believe they made electrical componeents for the GPO, office at Crewe but factory based at Liverpool.

Once again, many thanks for your help

mamories! ........where was my mind at when typing that!

should of read memories!

surely not
4th Apr 2003, 22:42
The C421 was reg G-NAIR, and it was never painted in BCAL Commuter colours.