PDA

View Full Version : Hour Building Abroad

Just another student
5th Mar 2003, 19:05
This is a question aimed towards any Airline Pilots, or Pilots 'in the know' who are able to offer me some advice.

I am looking to complete around 50 hrs of structured flying, 10 hrs in the UK and 40hrs possibly abroad. What I would like to know is, will an airline look down upon the fact that I have completed 40hrs or so in foreign climbs (Argentina/USA), even if I have made use of the hours? For example

a) Flying in various conditions (High altitude take offs and landings)

b) Flown specific routes between various destinations

c) Shown great effort in trying to improve my flying skills, instrument work etc.

I can see not only financial benefits to going abroad (26 GBP per hour in Argentina) but also the fact that it would present me, as a Pilot, some interesting challenges. However I am not willing to gamble away any chances of my getting a job in the future.

I completed my PPL in the USA and I am just a little concerned that it will not be looked upon favourably if 85hrs of my training have been in non-european airspace. I will more than willingly pay the UK rate and complete my hour building over here, however I am trying to keep my options open.

Any advice please?

Thanks

--------Safe Flying----------

Airbus Girl
6th Mar 2003, 07:28
I did most of my training and hours building abroad (mainly USA but some in Europe). I got a job flying a jet before I had even had my CPL issued!
CVs are checked for: fATPL, current IR, current medical, total hours. They don't care where you did it all, but what is relevant to flying airliners.
I think if you have 1st time exam/ flt test passes mention it.
If you have airline type experience mention it. That is, flying into big airports (ideal experience in USA), high altitudes, night, cross country and instrument flying, that sort of thing. I think it shows that you can cope with new things.
You could put on your CV something like
TT 500 hours including xx cross country, xx night, xx instrument
Flown in South America, North America, Europe
Experience of major airports, high altitude airports, etc.

I think it would draw someones attention. After all, most of the flying that UK airline pilots do is outside of the UK and usually at least half the landings are going to be at foreign airports.

sudden Winds
6th Mar 2003, 18:57
JAS,

Check this out www.patagonianskies.com.ar

Hope this helps,

SW.

Just another student
6th Mar 2003, 20:57
Thanks for your advice.

------safe flying-------