View Full Version : The Best way forward for me.. Para Dropping, Instructing or Self Funded Type rating??

Loony_Pilot
24th Aug 2001, 19:30
Hi,

Just looking for some advice on how to progress my career.

I was chopped from the ATP scheme (GRRRR!) a few months ago, now having felt sorry for myself for a while its time to get back into gear again

I am currenty in training for a para dropping job, havent flown yet but I will soon hopefully.

Now the thing is.. should I fork out and get an instructors rating now, or go the whole hog and pay for a type rating (either a brand new SD360 etc, or try and finish my partly completed 737 rating), or shall I just stick with Para dropping for the time being, build a few hundred hours doing that and hope for an airline job that way?

I do want to continue para dropping if at all possible cause its a lot of fun, its effectively free hours and I enjoy the atmosphere of the place...

but I simply want advice on the most effective route forward for myself..

All replies very much appreciated

Loony_Pilot

[ 24 August 2001: Message edited by: Loony_Pilot ]

beamer
24th Aug 2001, 21:03
Your posting does not say how old you are or
what your domestic circumstances are.

On the assumption that you are under 25 and
with no major family or mortgage ties - go
out and enjoy yourself for a while dropping
paras, tugging, instructing etc. Once that
is all out of your system have a good long
think about where you want to finish up.
Airline flying is all very well but thirty
years of it is a long long time. I fly with
a mixture of pilots; the ex-military guys are
all glad they had the variety of flying but
are happy to have escaped from the forces; the GA guys and girls all seem to have enjoyed their varied backgrounds despite the
privations and damned hard work allied to poor pay. The least satisfied seem to be those who have fallen into an airline job
very quickly indeed - they seem to have a
feeling of 'is this all there is '.

I would not recommend paying for your own
type-rating, its a chancy business unless you
are totally sure you have a job at the end of it - then again, if the company wanted you
then they should pay for the rating even if
you have to sign the dreaded bond !

Good luck

Loony_Pilot
24th Aug 2001, 23:44
Hi Beamer,

Thanks for the great advice, I am under 25, no mortgage, no family ties, no one to support, so yes I can enjoy my flying for a while.

I think I will continue with para-dropping, but would like something to do flying-wise, through the winter when the weather is a bit crappy and there's not much flying available

Loony_Pilot