PDA

View Full Version : Hopefully this will not get me banned.

Lu Zuckerman
4th Mar 2003, 00:20
To: Heliport

quote: From Mr. Kenyon
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd have to say, Frank Robinson never shied away from his responsibilty to the industry and ensured the run of R22 accidents was made general knowedge while he set about curing the problem. (I have the NTSB list of 17 by serial and registration number)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is what my response that you edited out was alluding to.

You are obviously spring loaded to the reject anything that is written by Lu position. Mr. Kenyon made a statement about Frank Robinson being up front and curing the problem, which to me means it, won’t happen again. The problem is not cured and the loss of control can happen any time. Ever since the FAA took action on this problem both in the emergency AD and the SFAR for training Robinson pilots there have been at least five loss of control incidents and one happened in the UK and the other happened in Ireland. In essence, the fix for this problem is for the pilots not to enter certain flight regimes for if they do they will kill themselves and if they do, it will be pilot error. I don’t have a wild hair across my A** about the Robinson helicopter I just believe that all of the problems would go away if they adapted the Hughes 300 rotorhead or something similar. The problem is in the design of the rotorhead and that is where the problem lies.

I personally believe your opinion about me is based on the bashing I have taken relative to my opinions about the Robinson design and I ask you to research those posts to see who wrote them. Most of the postees had a vested interest in the Robinson as it was the only helicopter they ever flew. I also believe that your opinions were further adjusted by Frank Robinson’s reply to my posts. If you read between the lines you would understand that it was pure bull. His use of the term "we-wa" confused a lot of people and he further said that many engineers do not understand the problem but truth be told he was addressing inflow roll and transverse flow effect which is common to all single rotor helicopters. Any one that flies helicopters knows about it. He addressed the problem as if his rotor design compensated for this phenomenon which is not true. He also confused the situation by stating “if he had used a 90-degree pitch horn he would have encountered severe control problems. With his rotor head design it would be impossible to have a 90-degree pitch horn.

I would strongly suggest that you familiarize yourself with the problem. Read the NTSB report.

I also take offense to your commenting about the number of experts (2) that participate on this forum. I have been in this industry since 1955 not including six years in the military working on helicopters and as a Techrep for Sikorsky and I have been a consultant since 1968 having worked on the Cheyenne, Apache, A-129, EH-101 and the V-22 as well as the A-310, Canadair –600 ,604, Regional Jet, FD-728 and the Gulfstream G-IV. I was also maintenance manager for Bell Helicopter International over seeing field and second level maintenance for 900+ helicopters. Now with that background I would hope that I have as much expertise in my field that the other two guys have in theirs.

You of all people should be familiar with the term “Rush to judgement”.

Heliport
4th Mar 2003, 08:49
Lu
Your revised version is not as bad as the original.
I'm not going to argue with you. The H300/AAIB/CAA thread is an important one and I will not allow you to hijack it or use it for your own ends.

Your suggestion I am "obviously spring loaded to the reject anything that is written by Lu" is just silly. It was I who thought it was time to lift the ban and give you another chance and, with PedalStop's agreement, did so. I also wrote to you suggesting you might be able to comment upon the specific issues raised on the H300 thread.
I certainly monitor your posts, and I'm 'spring loaded' to take prompt action if necessary, but that's for reasons you know well. I didn't rush to judgement - not my style.

One correction:
You say "I also take offense to your commenting about the number of experts (2) that participate on this forum."
Not true. By coincidence, only 10 days ago I posted this on another thread in a different context:"Not only do we have the obvious stars like Nick Lappos and Shawn Coyle, but we also have lots of other professional pilots from all over the world who may not be as well-known, but have years of experience in every conceivable sphere of helicopter operations. They too are truly experts in their various spheres." Have you noticed that, for example, Nick and Shawn don't promote themselves as 'experts'. It's an accolade they've been given by others - not given themselves. Another example is John Farley, a very distinguished PPRuNe contributor I'm sure you've seen on other forums.

I read every post on Rotorheads, even the the highly technical threads where, frankly, I'm out of my depth. I notice that some contributors (not big 'names') are obviously recognised as experts by other contributors. I never see anyone else but you claiming that distinction for themselves - you don't see other people saying "What about me? I'm an expert too."

You don't seem to realise there are many people on the forum who, like you, have spent their entire careers in aviation. Many have held a whole series of responsible jobs - but they don't even mention it, far less go on about it. And they certainly don't post their CV's as you've done a few times in your quest for 'recognition' by other contributors.

I simply can't see any reason why you should be singled out from all the other contributors in your category just because you repeatedly tell us you think you ought to be recognised as an 'expert'.
Let people decide for themselves whom they regard as 'experts' worthy of that accolade.

We both have better use for our time, and we're obviously not going to going to agree on this. Let's get back to the interesting discussions.

Heliport

Tail Bloater
4th Mar 2003, 10:57
TB

This thread is not about the R22.
If you'd like to repost your comments on one of the existing R22 threads you're welcome to do so. Try a 'Search' - there are lots of Robbo threads already.
I tried to contact you direct, but your user options are currently set to 'No PMs/No emails'.

Heliport