PDA

View Full Version : Hello! And a Few Comments

kimono
3rd Mar 2003, 22:46
Hiya, Im by no means a frequent flyer but enjoy it.

Fave Airline - BA! 2 out of 3 upgrades just by chit chatting (And respecting) with the check in staff

Also like Air Canada.

Favourite Airport- Heathrow (I could live there, Im so sad)

Least Favourite Airport- Paris CDG! I got there 6 hours early for a flight on a Sunday last November, I had a personal problem, was visibly upset and just wanted to get on my flight to Bristol. Ok, they wouldnt let me take the earlier flight which I could accept, but they could have least have let me check in and go through to departures, instead of me having to spend hours hanging around the FREEEEEEEZING COLD 'outer terminal' :(

Am flying BA to Washington DC on Wednesday 26 March. :) I am happy to hear about all the extra security at LHR and promise to be a model passenger and only carry on whats necessary YAY! (Small bag with book, lippie, moisturiser and sweeties!)

Love all the lovely Pilots and Cabin Crew.

Question, once I was flying to Canada (on BA) and someone got caught smoking in the loo. I heard them get threatened with arrest (Was glad, cos Im a smoker and the smell of smoke was winding me up!) what would have happened to them? Arrested and deported or a hefty fine? EEK! Cant believe how some people are.

Anyway....... Just rabbiting.

bealine
4th Mar 2003, 05:38
Welcome to the Forum, kimono!

Smokers would probably have been arrested and given a hefty fine for "Endangering the safety of an aircraft!"

For the benefit of the smokers - methane gas does build up in the toilet tanks and could be ignited by a carelessly discarded cigarette or match. (The toilet compartment is probably the most dangerous part of the aircraft to choose for an illicit smoke!)

If anyone interferes with the smoke detectors, it's treated extremely seriously by the justice systems of most countries and could result in a custodial sentence.

As an ex-smoker myself, I know I trembled at the prospect of a 10 hour flight to Miami - that was my first test! As it happened, I missed the cigarettes only twice during the entire flight - both times when the coffee was served after meals! The withdrawal symptoms lasted all of five minutes!

However, the point at which bealine made up his mind to stop smoking for good was on entry to Seattle. I absolutely love flying and we circled the Seattle area three times before landing. (Anyone who has been to Seattle will know that the surrounding mountain scenery is spectacular.) All I could focus my mind on was "Hurry Up and Get Down! I Need a Fag!"

I suddenly thought "This is crazy! Just look at the scenery you're being fortunate enough to view, and all you can think of is a paper tube!" It was only a few weeks later that I quit and that was now five years ago.

Good luck with your flying and thanks for the kind words about BA (don't forget Ground Staff and dear old Gatwick though!). :D

kimono
4th Mar 2003, 22:42
Hiya!

Yeah, Gatwick's fab too! Like a holiday before your holiday :) Why else would anyone spend £16 on a cocktail in Planet Hollywood? LOL!

Thanks for the smoking info! Grrrrr! Will be on 'fag alert' on the way to DC, but will keep that info secret from Americans haha!

Hmmm, interesting your giving up smoking story, maybe I'll give it a go after the DC trip My husband got a DVT (not from flying I may add!) 6 months ago and we've been making half hearted attempts at giving up ever since.

I havent been to Seattle, but have been to Vancouver where the scenery was also gorgeous on the approach in.(But yes, I was dying for a fag too and the everlasting queue for us diseased Europeans to have our shoes disinfected and to be asked 'Do you live on a farm?' didnt help (Was height of Foot and Mouth Crisis 2 years ago) - Still all these irritations add to your 'holiday stories' - I laugh things off mainly. Like the time coming back from Toronto where me and a friend had got upgraded to Business Class (yay!) and when we arrived at Heathrow at 6am we had to wait over an hour for the luggage. Everyone was moaning but we were just killing ourselves laughing by saying 'I need my case! I am business class! I am a very important business person!' Eeek! LOLOL! ;)

Although, I think I was more enamoured with the view of London on the way home - "Oh look! It's the Eastenders Credits!" and my mind was pulled back from memories of a great holiday to "Who shot Phil Mitchell?" (It was around that time ROFL!)

I flew Air Canada that time, they were very nice and I was shocked at the unlimited booze they were offering us economy passengers! (Didnt drink much as made me want a fag even more!).