PDA

View Full Version : FTOs compared - what a minefield

reido
3rd Mar 2003, 16:36
As someone considering doing my training soon, I have found the PRUNE to be amazingly helpful in that I can read all the comments from people who have had real experience (and not just marketing departments). On the other hand, I am now in a quandary over how to go about it!!! I was set on CABAIR, but then I read some bad comments about it (particularly the sim in the portakabin), so I had a good look at Oxford- a previous thread left me in 2 minds about that one, and as for the recent thread on FTOs in the States- I'm in a real mess now!!! Threads on Czech Republic, South Africa......... What is a boy to do?

I would like comments from those who have graduated from any school on the following:

1. quality of instructors and instruction
2. quality of accommodation (important for study)
3. value for money (although most are the same)
4. quality of equipment, materials, etc.
5. Worth of modular vs integral
6. And finally any major probs that you encountered, along with your general views, i.e. if you had your time again........!!!!!!

Thanks for listening!!!!!

:}

FlyingForFun
4th Mar 2003, 08:36
Reido,

You will get lots of replies to this. Anyone who's been to any of the schools will (in general) sing their praises. Partly because they won't admit they made a bad choice unless it was very bad, and party because they don't have anything to compare it to. Anyone who hasn't been to a particular school will slag them off - mainly because it's only the bad bits they've heard about.

I haven't used any of the schools you mention, so I think I'm in a position to give impartial advice. Visit all the schools you're looking at (granted that will be difficult for the foreign schools, but at least phone them and spend 15 minutes or more talking to instructors if you can). Then decide which you like best.

All of them have good points and bad points, and everyone has different needs. If it wasn't that way, if there was one school which really was best, everyone would use that one school and all the others would be forced to close down.

FFF
--------------

Send Clowns
4th Mar 2003, 17:06
Sorry it won't help your choice but remember there are many more than 2 UK-based schools. Look in the back of Pilot, Flyer of Flight International, and on the adverts here on PPRuNe. It is worth taking a little time to investigate, as you will spend £40,000 - £65,000 on this!

I am not abe to comment in quality, as my school went bust and I now work for one of the FTOs. I would agree with everything FFF says.

African Drunk
4th Mar 2003, 17:30
I have recently helped three friends to pick FTO's. All three went to different organisations which suited what they were looking for. The most interesting thing was to phone up on there behalf and when i had explained my experience + qualifications the sales pitch was ditched and you got interesting answers. If you can try to speak to someone current in the training enviroment who can highlight traps for you. Some flying clubs might have people who will help even though it dosen't benefit them(i stress might). Anyway good luck.