PDA

View Full Version : First impressions of Virgin as a PAX

Victor Mike Charlie
3rd Mar 2003, 16:31
After lots of positive feedback from friends and family I booked a week in Orlando and decided to fly with Virgin.

Typically I have been flying to Florida at least once a year to push a PA28 down to Key West and over to Marsh Harbour. Therefore, I have flown a variety of airlines to get there - my favourite to date was Air Canada - even though it involves a short stopover in Toronto.

This trip, however, was only for a week and I decided to book a direct flight and chose Virgin because of the recommendations.

But I've got to say I'm less than impressed - and it's mainly with the cabin crew.

I accept that the half-term week Saturday flights to Orlando are going to be family oriented and a full 744 is a lot of over-excited children. However, as a passenger I was unceromoniously "processed". I thought the attitude of the crew was that the passengers were a hinderance with lots of sighing and I even witnessed sharp comments to a couple of frequent fliers who were sulking because they hadn't got an upgrade - understandable; but not forgiveable.

Furthermore, I found the maturity level in the cabin crew lacking and (this will really make me sound like an old fart - which I'm not) I thought they were scruffy.

It's back to AC for me or probably BA if I need a direct flight.

pilotwolf
3rd Mar 2003, 16:51
I not sure where you flew from - LGW or LHR.

I have flown LHR to LAX so many times I ve lost count and have always found the entire crew - from booking through check in to cabin and flight deck crew nothing but helpful, polite, professional and fun - making the whole flight experience a pleasure.

Strangely the other 2 airlines I have flown with to LAX, (not counting Continental who code share with VS), were BA and Air Cananda. Both trips were a nightmare - everything from rude and unhelpful to sheer pettyness - not all of the staff but enough to make it very noticable. Mrs PW and I vowed to stick with Virgin!

Last trip was November 2002 so wouldn't think things have changed that much.... maybe an unlucky experience?

And I have no connection with Virgin, except working with a couple of guys who wife work in the admin. side of things.

Sharjah Night Shift
3rd Mar 2003, 18:36
I have only flown with them twice,LHR-HKG before they got friendly with SIA and LAX-LHR after. Some friends have been on the Gatwick-Florida flights and said it seemed like a different airline.

In my opinion the service is good but was better before SIA took an interest, if only they gave the economy passengers a bit more room.

As for the maturity of the cabin crew I know what you mean having spent a few evenings in an English pub near Tokyo Narita. If you want mature cabin crew try Aeroflot!

Xenia
4th Mar 2003, 07:54
What's wrong with mature cabin crew? :ouch:

cargosales
4th Mar 2003, 12:54
Cabin crew are like cheddar cheese. The more mature, the tastier they can be ;)

Provided they haven't gone mouldy :}

CS

Victor Mike Charlie
4th Mar 2003, 13:02
Mind you it works the other way too - once I flew long-haul Club Class with AA and we had a very mature hostess.

My wife had a bad cold and had just had some sleepless nights so she sat there with bad bags under her eyes and sniffing for the whole flight. In an attempt to counter some of the visual effect she wore shades. Unfortunately you could just see the dark areas around the eyes and to the mature hostess this black-eyed sniffer was obviously a badly-beaten wife.

I'm not sure if she had some history in this department; but boy did I suffer - My wife was in fits of laughter when we exited the aircraft at Boston and I said that I thought she was a bit off with me. My wife had realised what had happened and was enjoying my discomfort. :cool:

Fosters Expat
5th Mar 2003, 02:06
Flew with Virgin several years ago between Gatwick and Barbados, and I have to agree with VMC. I thought the crew were imature, with the exception of the two that were friends of mine, and I knew that I would not them to help me out of the aircraft should I have needed it. I would be out of that door way ahead of them.

I'll stick to BA. Far superior in their approach to safety, and thats what the crew are there for at the end of the day. Not for handing out beverages and snacks.

Say it was several years ago now (4yrs), and maybe things have improved, but the general impression I got, was that they employed little girls, who look pretty, but have very little else to offer.

Back To The Bunker!

B767300ER
6th Mar 2003, 02:44
I agree that VS is superior when it comes to onboard service. I flew them twice recently, and give them 5 stars definately. Wish they'd hire Americans---I'd work there in a heartbeat.

Evanelpus
6th Mar 2003, 08:52
It's all very subjective really. I have travelled a number of times with VS, had some brilliant flights, some mediocre and only one that was well below par. Had anyone been on the latter flight it may have persuaded them that this was the standard of all VS flights.

As to the age of the CC, well what the hell does it matter. As long as they do their jobs and treat you like a human being whilst on board I don't care if they are 18 or 80. Having said that one of my most enjoyable BA flights was a return from Zurich in the company of one of their more mature cabin crews.

If your only criteria is young and pretty avoid Aeroflot domestic. Five o clock shadows and hairy legs abound.

Pnooze
6th Mar 2003, 12:52
Victor Mike Charlie
I am sorry that your flt to MCO was not up to your expectations. Without wishing to justify what i am sure are genuine concerns, perhaps i might make a few points. I am a pilot with VS although i rarely operate to MCO. The MCO service is generally thought of as one of the hardest for cabin crew, made harder by the issue of half-term. The 2 flights each day leave LGW at about 9 or 10 in the morning. Therefore the crew sign on at about 7am ie 2 hrs before departure. Because of high property costs near LGW/LHR most crew have a long drive to work, and have often been up since 4am or even earlier.
The flights are almost always full with a large number of kids, which creates problems unique to this destination, in particular the large no. of childrens meals, kiddies throwing up, running up and down the aisles etc. It is safe to say that the crew in the economy cabin are often the most junior in the co., except for the purser who will have at least 5 yrs experience. The promotion system at Virgin is such that the older crew are in the Upper class cabin with an average age of about 25 and an In-flight supervisor in their early to mid 30"s. Without wishing to put people into stereotypes it is safe to say that there are a lot more shell suits on the MCO service than the Tokyo service, which creates it"s own problems.
Your point about cabin crew maturity is an interesting one. The junior crew looking after you take home about 850 pounds per month. It is hard to find good people to work for that, but Virgin somehow manages. Back in 1998 an Airbus landed at LHR with one undercarriage locked up. After the ensuing evacuation the Air accident investigation report praised the "calm and profesional job" that the cabin crew did. Yep our crew can look like blonde bimbos , but it is unwise to judge a book by it"s cover!! A recent straw poll amongst my crew found that 6 out of 15 had university degrees and most were in the job to see the world for a couple of years. I might be a bit biased though cos my wife is crew with us!! but i hope this goes someway to how things can pan out on some flts
Rgds :p

The_Banking_Scot
8th Mar 2003, 18:20
Hi ,

Thanks for posting that Pnooze.

I have just returned from 2 flights with VS to MCO ( 1 March VS 15 and 7 March VS 28)

I travelled in Premium Economy both ways and while at the gate did notice a lot of children but our cabin crew were very good.

Regards

TBS

Hand Solo
8th Mar 2003, 23:35
In defence of Virgin, the two cabin crew I know who have worked for both BA and VS say that VS take their cabin crew safety training much more seriously than BA. As a BA pilot I've had the dubious pleasure of sitting through a couple of our cabin crew training exercises and seen some wholly shambolic performances from old and young crewmembers alike. I still haven't worked out how an outcome with 80% of the crew dead could be considered a success.

Fosters Expat
9th Mar 2003, 06:51
Hand Solo,

I am very interested to read your reply refering to 80%, and a considered success. I know several crew of BA, and from our conversations, they say that SEP is of a very high standard.

I'm can only believe you as you clearly have more knowledge on this subject than I, but I am surprised.

Just to say, I never thought that VS safety was secondary, just that the attitude of the majority of operating crew was one that I knew my way out, and that was that. My personal experience was one that I found to be sub-standard to that of the many BA flights taken during that year in question.

Back To The Bunker!

mr.777
9th Mar 2003, 10:14
Fosters Expat,

Speaking as an ex-VS flight dispatcher,and as someone whose partner works their backside off for very little money as cabin crew for VS,I find your comments at the very least to be incredibly offensive.
Do you have any connection to the aviation industry,or does the fact that 2 of your mates work for BA qualify you to comment on the apparent lack of professionalism of VS crews?Have you ever been in an emergency situation that required crew to demonstrate their capabilities?As Pnooze says,the VS024 emergency landing was handled in a textbook fashion by both flightdeck and cabin crew and I know this for a fact because I was at work that day,not to mention the fact that I read the official AAIB report that resided in our office.
Your comments are unhelpful and unwanted.Your opinion that all VS crew are dumb blondes is complete nonsense.Every time I have flown VS I have seen the crews interaction with pax and thought it was a marvellous advert for the airline.In contrast,when I flew back from Cape Town in Nov on BA,the crew were unbeliveably rude and gave the impression they really couldn't be arsed with the safety demo.And before you accuse me of bias,my sister is crew with BA.
I have shown your comments to both my girlfriend and my sister and both are absolutely disgusted by the pettiness and small-mindedness of your opinions.Maybe the reason that you allege you have received such poor service is due to your attitude.It's idiots like you that make the cabin crews job difficult.

super aviator
9th Mar 2003, 17:04
I have only had the pleasure of flying with Virgin twice.

However I flew BA into MCO last March, and while the flight was pleasent enough, they had no individual entertainment systems or seat back TV's(1-0 Virgin). The crew were ok middle aged but friendly enough.

I then had my second Virgin experience in September flying into MIA and would take Virgin over BA if having a choice! seat back TV's, entertainment and friendly Flight Attendents whom were human. They had a great sense of humour and were everything that VS stands for! (2-0 Virgin)

Virgin win the match easy.

High as a Kite
9th Mar 2003, 18:09
There will always be people who prefer BA to VS and vice versa.

However as a Senior Flight Attendant with Virgin Atlantic I feel I must respond to some of the comments that have been made here.

Firstly, I have never flown with a crew member I would describe as scruffy. We have very high grooming standards and regular checks are made to ensure they are being adhered to.

Secondly, to say "the attitiude of the majority of the operating crew was one that I knew my way out and that was that" is VERY offensive. We undergo an intensive six week initial training course covering all aspects of safety. Every time we report for a flight we have to answer safety questions in order to be allowed to operate. In addition every year we are required to sit exams in order to retain our licence. If you care to ask a crew member a safety related question, you will discover that they know a lot more than just the way out.

Finally, the Orlando flights do tend to be one of our busiest and there are unique challenges which means sometimes the service has to be adapted. Arranging the distribution of 150+ child meals to name but one!

pilotwolf
9th Mar 2003, 18:22
Still not sure what difference the age makes unless taken to extremes - immature teenagers misbehaving or old age ailmentgs preventing duties being carried out - both hopefully would be dealt with before the crew member made it to the aircraft.

Unless of course you want to spend the flight oggling the crew?:rolleyes:

No one really knows how they would react in an emergency until the time comes. Better training probably = better outcome though - can't comments as not experienced either companys'.

Personally I am of the opinion that my safety on board is as much my responsibilty as the crew's, I know that excepting disabling injuries I WILL get out if there is any chance of it, hopefully taking my family/friends with me. Any assistance give will be greatfully received!

In a 12 hr flight I also want to choose my own entertainment - not an option on BA. I also want to be treated politely and as a human - including having a 'chat or 'joke' with someone who is happy and smiling.

On presentation I don't think theres much different althought VS uniform looks smarter in my eyes - not as fussy as BA pattern.

Southern Belle
13th Mar 2003, 13:12
As a purser with Virgin Atlantic I feel compelled to add my comments to your post.

Firstly I operated on an Orlando flight in February on a Saturday, whether or not it was on your flight I can say without a doubt it was one of the hardest flights in six and a half years I have done. It was however extremely enjoyable, the atmosphere on board was great and this was largely due to the positive attitude of the crew.

Yes Orlando flights are full of children but if you fly to Orlando that is to be expected. The large amount of childrens meals does put pressure on our service but we do out utmost to ensure that everyone gets the same level of service and I am sorry if you felt that you had been processed.

I am interested in your comment about the crew looking 'scruffy' perhaps you may prefer a well groomed crew who take time out of the service to reapply lipstick, tie lose ends of hair back etc. From my experience I feel differently, these flights are demanding and would we be doing our jobs properly if we abandoned the cabin in order to look good? Surely ensuring that everyone has the drink or snack that they have requested takes priority over reapplying lipstick.

I have many friends in the aviation industry from BA to Britannia and they tell me that Virgins safety is the most respected in the industry, our training courses are often two weeks longer than in other airlines. Ultimately that is what we are there for but we do endeavour to go that extra mile for our passengers in the cabin as well.

As anyone who works in the aviation industry we are once again faced with difficult times. We have just come out of the woods after the tragic events of September 11th and once again we are facing possible cut backs due to Iraq. It is difficult to always remain positive and motivated but as a purser I do my best to keep the crew up beat and as dynamic as they can given the current climate. I hope that the majority of them have not read your comments as this is just negative feedback with no suggestion as to where we could improve.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of our service and employees of Virgin do appreciate them so that we can learn where we need to improve but I do feel that on this occasion you have spoken slightly out of turn. Needless to say I do hope that you fly with us once again and when you have taken mine and all the previous comments into consideration you may enjoy your flight with us.

Victor Mike Charlie
13th Mar 2003, 13:56
SB - thanks for taking the time and making the effort to reply.

I fully appreciate that a full 744, especially the MCO-LGW Saturday night flight must be a real handful for the crew, especially with such a high % of children.

Let me add a little more background for you - I have travelled many times across the Atlantic on all sorts of tickets, including many non-rev staff. Additionally, I worked at LHR for 2 years with BAA so I am all too familiar with the pressures that ground and aircrew are under, especially in the current climate.

However, my comments still stand as I posted them from the perspective of a passenger and whether I would spend £x again with VS. As a passenger, it matters little to me what the crew take home and even less what the impact of childrens' meals have - only what service I get for my £x.

Again. please put this in perspective, I have not criticised anybody's professional ability to deal with an emergency, in fact I am very well aware of the Airbus incident that Pnooze referred to as I was part of the team debriefing with the BAA ADM some time later.

Regarding my comments on the crew being "scruffy" - SB, I accept your comments on priorities and I would not expect them to look like they were just stepping onto a catwalk after 7 hours on a full 744.

Specifically I was referring to their appearance at the start of the flight. Maybe it was bad luck; but of the 2 closest crew to our seats (row 50) - one male, one female - he had food on his trousers that looked like it was from a previous flight and when she removed her jacket, her blouse was in need of an iron - and please don't tell me it they get creased in the heat under the jackets, you can tell the difference between one that has been creased and one that wasn't ironed in the first place.

Add to this the immature and curt attitudes displayed to the non-upgraded passengers in the row in front of us and the constant sighing, tutting or muttering heard from behind the galley curtains whenever a call light went on then it doesn't create a great impression. I understand the attitude - I just don't want to see it.

Again, let me try to keep some balance - I am aware of the issues that all the airlines currently face; but it is also a competitive industry and my experience as a paying passenger indicates that, for a scheduled airline, I found Virgin wanting in comparison.

SilentHandover
14th Mar 2003, 10:37
Have recently returned from a trip stateside with Virgin, ex Gatwick to and from Miami, the crew on both flights were excellent. The only vague criticism was of the chief on the return leg, his PA's weren't great, very stumbled and mumbled. The sevice and attention throughout both flights was exemplary.
So from my point of view well done Virgin.

p.s. thanks for the drinks at the bar before pushback.

airhead-hostie
4th May 2003, 17:22
Lots of comments both good and bad - well after 10 years of working for Virgin as a Hostie, I do have to agree and disagree with some points mentioned.

Virgin like most airlines, likes their hosties to look good - god forbid you get beyond thirty you are classified as Mature cabin crew. The upper recruiting age for abinitio's is 33! is that really old in this day and age? Obviously people over 33 have had it, cant deal with people - no hope in this aging population then.

Getting past 30 in Virgin made you paranoid - checking in for a flight and the 19 year olds, just out of school saying wow are you really that old didnt do much for your ego. Yes I have been to that bar in Narita that was mentioned in one comment, but lets not forget the flight deck - they do not always act the most 'mature' either - so please its not just the cabin crew.

The pilot from Virgin who mentioned that the crew get paid and take home on £850 pounds per months. Is that really a bad salary? lets not forget the perks - 7 free staff tickets, discounts in any number of places - days off down route and plenty at home - the job of safety is paramount and yes a very important role - but comparing it to jobs on the ground it is actually quite well paid - particularly if you are straight out of college. As a graduate and trying to get a job with my countless experience, the salaries I was being offered were starting at 12,000 after three years training so the salary of a hostie, really isnt that bad - lets face it, it isnt rocket science! Crew do have to travel long distances, but they dont have to do it every day - since working back in an office - I have to say that the life of a hostie is much better than that of the drudgery of 9-5!

I do have a degree, which surprises a lot of people, at one point at Virgin we even had a Doctor working as crew, there are also a lot of nurses and other professionals who want a job where they can see the world - yes there are also the inevitable airheads, but they do have to pass strict exams set by the CAA before they are allowed to fly!

I would like to see older hosties, people who are just starting out, in their 30's and 40's even 50's. Why not? I think a mixed age group on a flight would stop bitching, and allow people with 'life' experience to handle stressful situations such as little brats running around your feet, that a 19 year old wouldnt necessarily wouldnt be able to handle.

I can see the men now writhing in their seats going older hosties - lets not forget that lots of women travel nowadays, and there should be an even balance of ages and sexes - this would warrant a more professional atmosphere and start recognising this as a serious career, rather than portraying the image of that shown on that lovely new series 'Fresh Air'.

PAXboy
4th May 2003, 18:25
The age of the cabin crew is irrelevant! Can they do the job physically - including the stress of emergency procedures, as far as can be assesed during simulation - and can they be polite for as long as humanly possible? If the answer to the two questions is Yes - then step forward!

I am saddened to hear of the age ceiling in VS. I am a long term fan of the carrier and they are my first choice for long haul but they should not be doing this.

Bad experiences on VS? I am a regular but not frequent traveller over 16 years and have been in all cabins and (almost) always paying my own way. No bad experiences to record, one irritation with the schedulers bringing forward departure time and not advising me is all.

Of course that cannot make up for one hideous experience as viewed through the eyes of the pax. I have that feeling about RyanAir!!

rsoman
4th May 2003, 19:28
Air Head Hostie

Going off topic a little
I would like to see older hosties, people who are just starting out, in their 30's and 40's even 50's. Why not? I think a mixed age group on a flight would stop bitching, and allow people with 'life' experience to handle stressful situations such as little brats running around your feet, that a 19 year old wouldnt necessarily wouldnt be able to handle.

Ome of Virgin's code share partners Air India has retirement age at 58 for hosties. That said, I had the privilege of ending up flying with a distiguished gentleman who was a steward in the late 40s/early 50s (age) on two international flights within a week of each other on sister airline Indian Airlines. His service was efficient and professional and he was equally efficient with a flight with quiet a few toddlers on the Chennai (MAA) SIN sector and a delayed flight full of irritated and rowdy passengers on Bangkok Chennai sector. The way he was handling the situations with tact and unfailing charm is something which will always remind me of exceptional service (in an airline which isnt necessarily reknowned for it). Needless to say a few words of appreciation was emailed from my side the very next day through the airlines website.
Off topic a little since you are talking Virgin, but I have to agree with your point on mature cabin crew.

Cheers

Bealzebub
5th May 2003, 00:33
As both a Captain and a regular passenger on flights to the USA I sympathise with VMC on the frustration and annoyance of the feeling of being "processed" at airports. we are all well aware of many of the reasons for this, but it is nontheless a generally unpleasant and stressful experience. Having to report in excess of 3 hours before a flight ( only to find the thing often delayed ). Standing in slow moving miserable lines for check in. Then standing in slow lines for security. Then again to enter a lounge full of 400 people and 150 seats. Then again to board the aircraft. By the time you actually sit down in a cramped little seat with a wannabe sumo wrestler spilling over the seat next to you and somebody elses over excited sprogg kicking the seatback from the row behind, it is no wonder some passengers blood pressure is so high.

On the other hand travelling in Business or first class is an altogether more relaxing experience. Short (if any) lines for check in. Often a fast pass through security. Comfortable lounge and space to relax. Ushered onto the flight with minimum fuss and then a wide comfortable seat with lots of leg room. A crewmember who seems to know your name with a tray of cool drinks to greet your arrival. A world away from the situation behind the curtain, but obviously a world that normally comes at a price.

Last year I travelled on 18 revenue sectors as a passenger. This included 3 sectors on Cordorde, 2 in business class and all the rest in economy. It is interesting how perceptions of a crew change depending on the class of travel. On one sector (JFK-LHR) the pursor was moaning to one of her colleagues about her roster and general lot in life. I have reservations about the wisdom of this being done within ear shot of passengers. I found it quite amusing to listen to whilst settled comfortably quaffing caviar and vintage champagne. The same situation would have irritated me to high heaven whilst squashed into the middle seat down the back of a 747 from SFO !

with the work hat back on, I agree with the reply that Pnooze gave you. In addition I would add that Saturday is a busy day for holiday travel. MCO is the prime holiday route between the UK and US and the day most likely to attract the highest volume of family travellers. As you will know from your background weekends also tend to be the time most staff "sickness" occurs and reults in staff shortages or folk being called in to cover other peoples programmes. Given the realities it is often a busy frustrating day for staff as well as passengers. It is not a time when anybody really has the luxury to indulge " sulky" passengers demanding free upgrades. It is understandable that crew or check in staff may need to be curt in these circumstances. Crews are often under the added pressure of the Captain breathing down their necks to get 400 passengers seated in order to make a slot, when the initial delay was not their fault to begin with. Obviously non of this makes for great customer relations but it is the only way to survive the reality of operating in the current economic and security environment.

You can travel on the same airline on 3 different occaisions and have 3 quite dissimiliar experiences. We could be sat three rows apart and while you are having a great flight, I am having the worst. The same crew member who in my irritated state I find scruffy, you find hard working and charming. She is fed up that having had to get up 4 hours ago to make herself up she then trips over somebodys ill placed bag and has laddered her stockings and scuffed her shoes. it is all a matter of perception.

They say that first impressions are important. You pays your money and takes your choice. Nevertheless I do believe all airlines operate within the same constraints and it is often a matter of luck how your own flight turns out.

airbourne
6th May 2003, 10:39
I too have only flown VS twice, but been impressed on both occasions. However if people want to complain about what cabin crew do or do not do, you have to bear in mind that they are working for under 1000 per month. Why is this when your safety is placed in the hands that works for about 12k a year. You cant live the champagne lifestyle with the lemonade pay packet

slim_slag
7th May 2003, 03:49
I remember sitting in the back row on a VS flight from LAX, and we had lined up on final approach to Heathrow. The boys and girls had strapped in at the back and were loudly chattering away. Plenty of flowery details on who was shagging who, and stories of drunkenness and buffoonery down route. Best part was when somebody said the first-officer had never landed an A340 before in the real, and to get ready for a rough ride.

Didn't bother me, I was happy to hear they were normal people who liked to have fun. But it might have bothered others.

moku
7th May 2003, 05:18
I first flew on Virgin in 1992 to LHR-LAX. Since then I have had the pleasure of flying them many more times, mainly SFO. I have not flown BA to the USA since then and have gone out of my way and paid more to fly VSand will continue to do so. I will not say that the crew have been great all of the time as we all know everybody has their bad days, but what I can say is that 98% of the time the service has been beyond excellent. Wish I could have said the same for the service at Bad Attitude.
:ok:

david viewing
7th May 2003, 22:21
I flew LGW - MCO with Virgin on a Friday in March this year with an unreasonable amount of luggage.

VS could not have been more helpful which was just as well because on the return leg I was subjected to ludicrous behaviour by TSA because I needed to clear my luggage. I was only protected by the diligence, nay courage, of the VS rep who stood up to the bolshie TSA at the risk of his personal liberty (Local police were actually called!).

VS staff on the ground and in the air were universally excellent, especially considering that I must have represented a 'problem' pax, loaded with large cardboard boxes! The MCO flight is a 'holiday' flight and anyone using it should take that into account - it's not Virgins' fault that families go to Disney.

My only sadness is that my letter addressed to Branson asking him to commend the staff member who rescued me from the TSA met with an innapropiate boilerplate reply from someone in the PR department who had not bothered to read my story.

If anyone from VS reads this, I would like to get that little defect rectified. [email protected].

The_Banking_Scot
8th May 2003, 01:58
Hi david viewing,

You could nominate the VS person as well for a Virgin Atlantic " Hero award"

as per this link

http://www.iflyvirginatlantic.com/main47.htm.

Although the closing date for this round has clsoed ,there should be another round shortly.

Whenever I have written in to VS to compliment a member of the cabin crew or ground staff, I have received a reply that mentions that the comment will be passed on to the crew concerned.

Regards

TBS

david viewing
9th May 2003, 20:37
Banking Scot

Thanks for that - form completed. He deserves to win.

There was no mention of passing the comment on in the reply that I got, but then as I said the person replying obviously hadn't read my letter anyway.

David

Victor Mike Charlie
19th May 2003, 19:40
Life's so funny - Virgin Atlantic offered me a job on Friday. Not flying, unfortunately, but one I'd enjoy.

How's that for a poignant completion to my story on this thread? :rolleyes:

VMC

Final 3 Greens
23rd May 2003, 14:36
Interesting thread.

As a frequent flyer, I see a lot of different cc.

BA and LH, IMHO, are more consistent in the way they provide service of the carriers I use, so expectations are set and generally delivered, although any flight can suffer from poor team dynamics for a variety of reasons.

My experience with Virgin is that the crews delivery of service levels tends to be more variable, perhaps for the reasons Pnooze stated. At the top end it can be very warm and friendly and at the bottom appear chaotic, although I am not judging safety here, just my perception of the way the service is delivered.

As a result, other frequent flyers love or hate the experience(s) - I'd tend to take BA when I travel long haul, because I'm usually either getting my head ready for a challenging piece of work or coming back very tired...... so professional, consistent service levels are attractive