PDA

View Full Version : Win DVD Help

wub
3rd Mar 2003, 06:57
I bought a new Dell 8200 last year, Pentium 4, 256mb ram,cd writer, dvd player etc.. everything worked fine. I use my machine to edit digital video, so I installed an extra hard drive of 40mb just for video. It works fine too.

As soon as I had installed the 2nd drive Win DVD no longer recognised the dvd player and gives a 'cd/dvd drive not found' error. I can work round it by going into Win DVD playlist and forcing it to play a selected track, so I know everything is still connected. Not elegant but not vital either. The drive shows up in system/drives and I'm told it is working properly, with no conflicts.

Yesterday I bought Adobe Photoshop Abum, expressley to burn Video CDs of my digital photos for displaying on TV. When I tried to burn a vcd I got a 'there is no writeable cd or dvd drive available'Im starting to smell a rat because Win DVD and Album both use MPEG files and neither programme can detect my drive, any thoughts please?

I'm using Windows ME

spannersatcx
4th Mar 2003, 09:49
Before installing your extra hard drive your dvd rom would of been drive D, after installing the extra hard drive, the hard drive would become D and the dvd rom would become E.

win dvd may still be looking for your DVD rom at position D rather than E.

Suggest reinstalling win dvd which should then see the drive as E rather than D. Also make sure DMA is activated for the DVD Rom.

Also make sure the jumpers for slave/master are set correctly on the new drive. And maybe swop drives around on the ide channels and make sure auto detect is set in the bios.

wub
4th Mar 2003, 10:52
Thanks for your help Spanner but no go. I also have a dual card reader for my digicam so I remapped the drives so that the card reader is E and F, the DVD is X and the CDR is Y. I've set the default drive to X in WinDVD. I've reinstalled WinDVD several times to no avail.

The jumpers are okay because everything is recognised in the control panel/system window. If I use the software 'eject' in Win DVD the drive works, so the software knows the drive is there. There is a funny though that in Windows ME there is no DMA box on the drive properties.