PDA

View Full Version : Icao Atpl > Jar Atpl

yoohoo748
2nd Mar 2003, 23:25
I am looking for feedback from anybody that has had first hand experience converting an ICAO ATPL (ie: Canadian) to an equivalent JAR ATPL. Suggestions to training schools that worked for you or any type of direct conversion. I have in excess of 5000 hours, most of that being command, of which approx. 1500 is P1 in a transport category a/c. (just over 20,000kg). I have heard that this might be helpful, although I believe that the cut off was 30,000.

Thanks

[email protected]

redsnail
3rd Mar 2003, 11:18
I'm afraid the cut off is 30 tonnes. Then your "JAR" licence is restricted to G reg aircraft. (ie UK)

If you have 500 hours in multi pilot operations (or more, as you do) then all you need to do is a check ride with a CAA examiner and a TRE (Type rating examiner) on the aircraft you have the time on.
Also, you'll have to do the medical at Gatwick + the 14 ATPL exams.
For further info, check out LASORS (http://www.caa.co.uk/srg/licensing/fcl/document.asp?groupid=292) Pay very close attention to ATPL Section G info G1.5 pages 4&5. (You'll need Acrobat reader).
Go to Standards Doc 31 (http://www.caa.co.uk/srg/licensing/fcl/document.asp?groupid=192) for where to study and fly.
To find out about
JAR/FAR 23 & JAR/FAR 25 types (http://www.jaa.nl/section1/jarsec1.html) have a look here.

It's a bit of a read but well worth taking the time to do so.

yoohoo748
3rd Mar 2003, 14:29
Great help. Thanks.:rolleyes:It is your Attitude, not your Aptitude that determines your Altitude!!

redsnail
3rd Mar 2003, 16:37
I converted an Australian (ICAO) ATPL to a JAR one.
I did the theory full time at ATA Coventry. I think that cost £3600 + 6 months worth of living expenses. Exams are at least £720.
Medical which must be done at Gatwick is £250 or so.
Before spending any serious money I would arrange to have that done first as the JAR (UK) initial medical can catch people out. Even current ATPL holders from ICAO states.

I did the flying with a TRTO/freight company called Streamline (now owned by Emerald Airways – separate AOC’s for the Shorts and the HS-748). I did it on the Shorts 330/360. Cost min £7000. I didn’t have 500 hours on a FAR 25 aircraft so I had to do it that way.
You can do the theory part time to save money, a very close friend did it at Bristol Ground School and said it was the best theory provider he’s ever been to. (737 FO)
There are others around too. Cost is in the region of £2000

There are a few operators of HS-748’s still in the UK. Contact them for the flying aspect. (eg Emerald Airways at Liverpool)

Note, you will have to do your check ride with a CAA examiner on board. Their fee is £578 payable before the check.

yoohoo748
3rd Mar 2003, 21:02
Hmm… to recap… to see if I have this right… (and in order)

1. Medical £250

2. Theory £3600 + expense or £2000 part-time? I understand that there might be a distance learning program with 2 weeks of ground-school being mandatory.

3. Exams £720

4. Check Ride £578 + cost of A/C. (can this be combined with a companies regular check-ride so as to offset the cost of the flight? If so, is that normal practice in the UK?)

This is all with the understanding that I have an ICAO ATPL with the required time on a Far 25 A/C.

Is this about correct? Thanks again.

redsnail
3rd Mar 2003, 21:56
Yeah pretty much.
The Distance learning usually comes with a full time face to face component. If you check with LASORS you'll find that you may not have to do it. However, I would strongly advise that you consider it. Resits and failed subjects add up. Most do it in 2 sessions. It is possible to do all the self study, come over, do the brush up then exams (7 of them). Stick around and then follow up (next brush up and 7 exams) the next month. (My friend did that but he used to fly the 737 - the type used in the technical subjects)

With regard to the check ride. This is more like an IR renewal + handling check so it's in a bit more detail. It depends on the company and how you impress them/if they want you sort of thing. Usually you pay.
Note, this only applies if you are doing the check on the type you have your time on. It pays to do some ground work so you know how to convince the TRE/CAA person that you are worthy of the JAR ATPL.

Please don't take my word as gospel though. Make sure you have read the links thoroughly and you check the details yourself.
I can't stress this strongly enough.