PDA

View Full Version : PPRuNe and OS X/Safari

WeatherJinx
2nd Mar 2003, 09:59
Have just taken delivery of a shiny new iMac and after 10 yrs of being a Mac user, I am having to relearn everything! That said, it's one amazing OS - powerful, capable and stunning to look at.

I just wondered whether there were any other Pruners using OS X? It would be good to share experiences and tips etc. Get in touch!

One tiny bug I've noticed, is that when Pruning using the public beta of Safari (which must surely be the fastest browser ever), the main PPRuNe category pages appear fine, but the page widths of the threads themselves appear to be a litttle wonky.

Anyone else noticed this? I have reported it to Apple via the 'bug-buster' button built into the browser, but would be grateful if anyone else has a workaround. Thanks!

Jx

PPRuNe Towers
2nd Mar 2003, 20:49
Reported it as well WJ - most of us at the Towers use OSX.

Safari is indeed a belting good browser but it appears that it was written by purists. Like the old Netscape 4.7 series browsers it treats wrap commands in the originally laid down way for HTML. It is now some years since certain dark forces in the rainy part of the US twisted the coding to its own end and the vast majority followed suit.

I'm sure it will get sorted out - I would use it as my prime browser in an instant. Meantime have a look at Omniweb as an browser designed from the very beginning for OSX.

WeatherJinx
3rd Mar 2003, 09:34
Thanks for the reply Towers

I'll give Omniweb a try, but I'd like to think that Apple will eventually iron out the (few) early bugs in Safari (it is in public beta at present after all), because I've never used a better browser, in terms of either speed or ergonomics.

Apart from the PPRuNe page wrap issue, the only other things I've encountered are an bug-ette on the BBC News site (the ticker at the top doesn't remain in place but 'follows' you as you scroll down), and slightly dodgy selection of the various streaming media players (WMP in particular, but maybe that's Jobs getting his own back on Mr Gates for QuickTime 4!).

There's a blog thread about Safari with contributions from some of the actual Mozilla/Gecko team here (http://www.deftone.com/blogzilla/archives/apples_safari_why_not_gecko.html) which you may find interesting...

Jx:cool:

Now here's a speculative proposition for a gambler - Safari for Windows soon?

PPRuNe Towers
3rd Mar 2003, 13:20
Many thanks for that pointer WJ - must say I love the idea of a de-weaseler for dealing with airline company statements;) ;) :yuk: Now that's something I'll be having a chat to Danny about........

'Translated through a de-weaselizer, this says:
"Even though some of us used to work on Mozilla, we have to admit that the Mozilla code is a gigantic, bloated mess, not to mention slow, and with an internal API so flamboyantly baroque that frankly we can't even comprehend where to begin. Also did we mention big and slow and incomprehensible?"'

Regards
Rob

OllyBeak
9th Mar 2003, 01:55
Chimera (Navigator?) seems to work with many more pages than Safari (including PPRUNE).

There's something not quite as pleasing about the way it renders typefaces. I've no idea why this could be - Arial on a Mac should be Arial on a Mac, shouldn't it?

I'm looking forward to Safari being mended, but Chimera does very, very nicely in the meantime.

Ol.

WeatherJinx
9th Mar 2003, 09:04
Olly

Have you tried changing the display font in Preferences? I use the specially-designed-for-OS X 'Lucida Grande' as my display font (14 pt. on 17" iMac flat panel at 1140 x 900) - the display looks superb, fitting in beautifully with the rest of the OS environment.

Arial was only ever a crude Microsoft-commissioned implementaton of Helvetica anyway...and remember Safari is a still very much in beta - hence the bug button! Hope you get the problem sorted.

WxJx