PDA

View Full Version : Survival course before to apply!

superpilot68
1st Mar 2003, 23:24
The CAA/JAA is implementing a new mandatoried course.Not only the MCC is required, but the course about safety procedures. And guess who is going to pay? :mad: :mad: :mad:
and I am not talking about the Azmat course which will be required soon.

High Wing Drifter
2nd Mar 2003, 01:36
After reading this and a letter in Flight International a week or two ago about the possible removal of the modular route (mandatory Integrated style training) that is being proposed I have come to this conclusion:

The JAA want to reduce the number of trainees, whilst at the same time ensuring that each trainee pays considerably more - read the major flight schools are accommodated and placated.

There are too many people, chasing too few Jobs with the money spent on training too widely dispersed. Airlines are having a nightmare sorting the wheat from the chaff. Too many influential corporations see an opportunity to simplify and reduce the costs at their end of the deal. The JAA is only too willing to help out as they absolutely need the support of those same corporations.

I fear the day of the self improver is coming to and end in the near future.

TubularBells
2nd Mar 2003, 12:01
S68,

What's an Azmat course? Any more info on this new course your talking of?

Sad news indeed. I seem to be spending more and more time trying to cost in the ever increasing requirements for my change in career. :(

HWD,

I have read the letters posted in FI that are generally discussing the old integration\modular gripe, including a letter from CTC at an opportune moment to publicise the ATP course. I can't seem to find any info in regards to the removal of the modular route though. Have you any more info on this? I find it hard to believe that the JAA would consider stopping this type of training, refining it yes, but stopping it?...:hmm:

Cheers,

TB.

Freak On A Leash
2nd Mar 2003, 18:30
What`s this course going to be covering? How to turn on your mobile after landing? Or how to manually activate your ELT?

This is why people go to the States - not so much BS and at lot quicker and cheaper.

Here`s a question: What does and MCC stamp in your license actually give you the right to do (besides apply for a job)? My instruments rating lets me fly in conditions less than VFR, and my multiengine lets me fly airplanes with more than one engine. And having my CPL means that I`ve been found proficient to fly passengers or cargo commercially (=for money).

superpilot68
2nd Mar 2003, 20:43
AZMAT stand for Azardourdous material,in fact it s a mini course given by the airlines(under FAA rules) to transport azardous materials in a separate cargo bin. Some products are limited by numbers or weight and pilots must know how much they can carry. Dont worry, it usually the cargo operator who is responsibe but as a pilot in command, the pilot is responsible to know what he has on board.
I would not be surprised that one day, this course become mandatored before applying for a job.

Do you work for the CAA or JAA? forget what I have said (I do not want give you bad ideas!)

High Wing Drifter
2nd Mar 2003, 22:11
I can't seem to find any info in regards to the removal of the modular route though. Have you any more info on this?
I don't have the copy any more. It was only two or three weeks ago. I think, don't hold me to it, I think it was the one with Saddam on the cover?? Basically the gist of the letter was:

'New proposals from JAA for an amendment to JAR-OPS, integrated only, modular unsafe, if so I am unsafe as a Captain' or something like that.

I don't know enough about the subject in detail yet to know if I was mis-interpreting it. The letter was position mid-centre of the page. I seem to remember the one underneath was a very interesting letter too, can't for the life of me remeber why :confused:

Mister Geezer
2nd Mar 2003, 22:24
Freak On A Leash

A MCC is a prerequisite that is required in order to have a multi pilot type rating added to your licence. ;)

Freak On A Leash
3rd Mar 2003, 19:11
Mister Geezer,

WHY?:confused:

Superpilot86,

Do you mean a HAZMAT (Hazardous Material) course?

TubularBells
3rd Mar 2003, 19:25
Cheers S68. I guess the pilot of the future will also need to purchase a special aviation crystal ball. This will enable him\her to know exactly what job they will be moving into and as such purchase all the necessary training required so that they can begin work for their employer in a timely fashion...and all for a perfectly affordable sum! :rolleyes: :D

HWD,

I've got the article you mentioned in front of me now, and I'm not surprised you weren't sure if you interpreted it correctly, as I've had to read it about 5 times to understand what the writer is trying to get at! I believe that he is having a stab at why anyone starting an integrated course, has to go to a JAR integrated approved school rather than to a pre-JAR school that isn't approved. In addition to this, why previous experience (i.e PPL) doesn't really give you any head start in it when you start a course.

The only thing I can't get is, talking pre-JAR he says:

"The practice of obtaining all the necessary licenses and ratings by an evolutionary process, which was common in Europe and still common in the USA, is therefore dead in the JAR-OPS states".

I think he's a bit peed off with the demise of various training schools in the Netherlands as he says they are finding it difficult to make a business against the JAR approved flight schools.

The other interesting article on the page is that the UK JAA is set to approve Single-engined Commercial IFR aircraft. Should be interesting, hopefully it'll create more opportunities for us all.

Anyway, I'm off now before everyone starts going to sleep on me....:zzz:

Mister Geezer
3rd Mar 2003, 22:27
It is supposed to have given you a grounding in multi crew ops! Airlines don't take much notice of where or what you did your MCC on, in their eyes you have either done it or you have not. Last week I overheard someone who had just recently done a MCC course on the EMB-145 sim with Flight Safety in Paris Le-Bourget. The chap went to some length to stress that it was a FAA Level D sim with all the bells and whistles etc etc and how he has some Embraer sim time in his logbook. Embraer sim or cardboard cockpit mock up, it does not make much difference to the employer however you might be able to learn a bit more if you have the chance of flying a full flight sim.

High Wing Drifter
4th Mar 2003, 08:02
TubularBells,

Thanks for the clarification. The IFR singles could be a decent break for employment prospects. Related to that is the regular appearance in FI of an advert proclaiming "The Caravans are comming!". With type ratings of a mere (mere!?!) £6000 there maybe hope yet :confused: :D

Mister Geezer
4th Mar 2003, 11:29
Sadly the JAA won't make life that easy for us... don't forget the 700 hour requirement for single pilot IFR ops!

TubularBells
5th Mar 2003, 19:10
Hi MG,

Are you saying that, when one goes for a job after training, they wouldn't be able to fly single pilot IFR (i.e twin engine with only one pilot) until they've got 700 Hrs flight time (Pic?) or that they wouldn't be able to fly in command of a single engine in IFR operations?

Sorry if the question sounds a little ridiculous, I just wanted to clarify it.

Thanks,

TB.:D

superpilot68
5th Mar 2003, 22:00
tubularbay,
in the USA, it s 1200h to fly a single pilot plane in IFR for Commercial operation under Far 135!!.if the company want only one pilot, they tell you:"come back when you will have 1200h".
these 1200hours have been set by the FAA and Insurance companies.
Guess what? nobody will let a 200h pilot flies a multimillion dollars plane! Why?...Experience my dear!!!
the JAA will certainly increase these minimum of hours to 1200h or 1500h when single engine will be authorised in the JARland.
700h or 800 h , never!!!

High Wing Drifter
5th Mar 2003, 22:15
superpilot68,

The question was that 700hrs is needed for a single pilot, but there is no reason why an FO position on an SEIFR rated aircraft should be out of bounds for low-hour Frozens. Or is there?

[Edited to tone down my own huffy-stuffy response. Working too late!!]