PDA

View Full Version : Windoze Media Player - delay starting

Lost_luggage34
1st Mar 2003, 22:33
A very odd problem here ; start up PC running Windows 98 SE.

Go to start Windows Media Player - v 7.1, select an MP3 file stored on HD, takes 1-2 mins before it starts playing.

After the first track is played all subsequent tracks play instantaneously.

Can't fathom this one out. PC has plenty of memory - rebuilt about 6 months ago. Problem only started about 2 months ago and no new software or changes have been made. All my diagnostic utilities - not MS ones - find no problem.

Any suggestions ?

amanoffewwords
2nd Mar 2003, 09:45
Have you tried upgrading to Media Player version 9.0? (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/player.aspx) Not sure if it will cure your problem but if you have narrowband it will keep your PC busy for a while (13Mb download!)

Bre901
2nd Mar 2003, 10:21
WMP 7 tries to connect to Redmond each time it is activated (for video clips at least).
Does you problem happen the same way when you are online and offline ?
Do you have a firewall (Zone Alarm or similar) that could monitor or block such activty ?

Lost_luggage34
3rd Mar 2003, 14:34
Thank you - pointed me in the right direction.

I do run a firewall but WM is set to only use HTTP and MMS ports which are allowed. Problem occurs whether on or offline and when online connection to the WM media guide is OK.

Seems to have been the Network settings looking for a now non-existent proxy server I used to run. Unticked and solved.

Thanks again.