PDA

View Full Version : Aviation Museums in Ireland

Guern
28th Feb 2003, 23:12
Mrs Guern & I are going to spend three weeks in Ireland, pretty much all over, as I want to see more of Mrs Guern's country.

Now I have educated her into the wonders of aviation, thanks to the air display here in Guernsey on her Birthday last year & a visit to RNAS Yeoviliton, Mrs Guern was impressed by the Harriers, Lynx & Merlins we saw. I was wondering if there are any aviation museums we could visit in Ireland?

Any ideas guys? We will be there in Mid august, unfortunatley missing the display in Clifden in July.

Thanks

Nick

Edited cause I can't spell!

Spot 4
1st Mar 2003, 07:54
In Northern Ireland, there is the Ulster Aviation Society at Langford Lodge (It has a website, and is only open one day at weekends) and the Ulster Transport museum which whilst not dedicated to aeroplanes has an aviation section.

Enjoy your visit, pack a raincoat and umbrella, as it is not the Emerald Isle without reason!

Links:

http://dnausers.d-n-a.net/dnetrAzQ/index.htm

http://belfastlough.bravepages.com/id23.htm

Steepclimb
3rd Mar 2003, 10:54
You could visit the Air Corps in Baldonnel. They are a de facto flying museum!!!!

But seriously no apart from those mentioned in Northern Ireland. There are none at the moment. One was attempted at Dublin Airport but that fell through. The Air Corps has a few old aircraft tucked at the back of a hangar with the vague idea of displaying them in a museum. An Anson XIX, Miles Magister and DH Vampire T11, DHC Chipmunk and Percival Provost. There was a rumour that the government bought a restored flyable Avro Cadet from New Zealand in 2002 but have heard nothing more about that aircraft. There is also a civil Avro Cadet, (ex AST I think) quietly rotting at the back of a hangar in Weston airfield near Dublin. Owned by a Ryanair pilot. Could be flyable with a suitable engine. What a waste.

I think the display you mentioned as Clifden is in fact the one at Salthill in Galway on the seafront. It usually features something rather unusual for a small seaside airshow, like a B1 Bomber and a pair of refueling Tornados. This year the Red Arrows feature I believe!

The site below has more details.

As for the rain, well after last year we deserve a long hot summer.

http://www.irishairpics.com

I. M. Esperto
3rd Mar 2003, 16:20
I recall the last time passing thru Shannon, there was a notice about a flying boat museum nearby the airport. I didn't visit it, but it may be worth a look.

The Wrong Way Corrigan archives etc. at Bladonnel are worth the stop there.

Steepclimb
3rd Mar 2003, 16:48
Yes there is the flying boat museum in Foynes which I forgot. It doesn't have a flying boat but it's worth a look. There is a flying boat based at Weston well an amphibian Grumman Goose which in theory is available to fly if your pockets are deep and a Cessna 206 floatplane.

www.nfc.ie

The Goose is often to be found nodding gently on the Lough beside Ashford Castle in County Mayo. Nice work if you can get it.

corsair
24th Apr 2003, 19:47
Guern and anyone else interested. It seems there is to be an aviation museum in Ireland after all according to a news item in Aeroplane Monthly this month. I remembered your post so thought I'd update.

Apparently there is a a Percival Provost T.53, a Chipmunk, T55 Vampire with another on the way. A Mignet HM.14, Slingsby gliders, a Miles M.75 Aries, Percival Proctor. The nose section of a DC7 too. A Hawker Hector, (that's rare) is bing restored but not there yet.

It's based at the Cavan and Leitrim narrow gauge steam railway at Dromod in Country Leitrim of all places. Leitrim is one of those places you hear of but never quite know where it is or need to go there anyway. Now we have a reason to find it.

Should be of interest to the train buffs too.

It's on the main N4 Sligo road, 11 miles north west of Longord.

I. M. Esperto
24th Apr 2003, 20:24
Thanks for the gen.

Guern
25th Apr 2003, 02:49
Thanks for that, I will Pop in not going to Ireland until august, but will be passing that way (I think unless my geography is wrong, better check with Mrs Guern as she is from the Emerald Isle)

Sounds interesting and it's years since I have been near a steam train.

I. M. Esperto
25th Apr 2003, 03:00
http://www.goireland.com/scripts/low/Area.asp?AreaType=C&AreaID=183

Dromod is a nice spot at the South tip of Leitrim.

Tidy Town winner.
Slainte!

SPIT
26th Apr 2003, 01:48
Hi The Aviation/Seaplane Museum at Foynes is well worth a visit. And while your at it go to Shannon its only about 50 miles (on their roads 1 & a half hrs. On your way back to Dublin (if thats the way you are going look in at Balldonnel its well signposted from the N7.
Hope you have a good time over there.:ok: :ok: