PDA

View Full Version : Aviation Engineering / Aviation studies w / management Degrees

MMEMatty
28th Feb 2003, 15:39
Hi All,

After checking, i think this question should be in this forum, however if not, my sincere apologies.

Which of the above degrees would look best on a prospective Airline sponsorship applicant? Basically im trying to decide which course to do at Uni, and its come down to:

Aeronautical Engineering at Farnbrough Colloege of Technology
Same as above at Coventry
or
Aviation Studies with Management at Leeds University.

So i was wondering which would look best on my CV if i was to apply to the airlines? I think i would enjoy both courses, and the areas both seem nice, so my only concern is which would look better.

Many thanks for help.

Matty

FlyingForFun
28th Feb 2003, 16:03
Matty,

The one which would look best is the one which you'll get the best results in. And that would probably be the one which sounds most interesting to you.

Personally, I don't like Leeds Uni. But I'm probably biased, since I crashed my mum's car and wrote it off when I went to their open day, so don't read too much into that! :D

FFF
-------------

Lucifer
28th Feb 2003, 16:50
You appear to have narrowed your choices down to courses which, without any firther knowledge of the content, appear to be connected only by aviation rather than by area. What I would suggest to you is that you come at it the other way and decide whether you are going to get the best result from a management-style degree or one which is more science based.

Forgive me for assuming here that engineering has no relationship to management (as most I know are actually very centred around management skills as well), but do you want to learn business skills or become an aeronautical engineer?

For a first degree, your best bet would possibly be to choose an academic area you are best at, and pursue a broader degree not necessarily focussed on aviation, and perhaps if you really want a specific aviation skill pursue a Masters, as a higher result in a non-aviation specific field will undoubtably make a better impression.

Don't let this put you off - what I have said is with no specific knowledge of the colleges/unis involved, but you would be wise to bear in mind the route you are taking fits your best skills.

Don't go for what sounds most interesting, but what actually is based on your research - simply having avation in the title may not be as interesting as it sounds on paper when you get there!

MMEMatty
28th Feb 2003, 21:16
Lucifer,

I want to be a pilot, although second choice would probably be something to do with engineering. Plus I would like to do something aviation related as a first degree, as it is what i am interested in, and think i would succeed at.

Lucifer
1st Mar 2003, 09:28
Sorry if I appeared to sound offputting as that was not the intent - you seem to have good motivations, but I was just trying to get you thinking to go for what you will do best in.

If that is the case, then perhaps you should go for engineering courses, however it sounds like you should go and have a look at the ones you have selected so far.

Good Luck!

scroggs
1st Mar 2003, 09:48
Airlines are not particularly interested in what degree you have. A degree is not required to fly, or to qualify for any sponsorship, though it may make you more attractive. You will impress far more by getting a first in Underwater Basketweaving than a pass in Esoteric Aviation-Related Stuff!

I would choose the degree you take primarily on what interests you most, as you are more likely to do well if your interest is sustained throughout the three or four years of the course. Secondly, I would bear in mind the usefulness of your degree should you fail to find gainful employment as a pilot.

As many could tell you, once you're in a cockpit you will use almost nothing you have learned on whatever course you take!

Scroggs