PDA

View Full Version : Airline Application

Lancer3d
28th Feb 2003, 01:02
Hi, I just recieved the package an airline, and there was two question that I would like to ask everybody.

1. Why do you want to become a pilot?

2. What skills have you attained that will help you in becomeing a pilot?

How would I go about answering the above two question on the application to catch people's eye?

thanks

Whispering Giant
28th Feb 2003, 03:30
Hi Lancer - in answer to your question's.

1. - just be honest with them,tell them it's something you've allway's wanted to do and you enjoy travelling etc....

2. - Airline manager's allway's like people who are "TEAM" player's so give them some example's of when you have worked as part of a team. They also like people who are customer focused as at the end of the day it's the passenger that pay's your wage's so it's in your's and the airline's interest to keep the self loading freight happy. Airline manager's also like people who one day could be capable of being a manager as at the end of the day that is what you will become a manager of people be it on the flt deck as the captain or as a general manager - so give them some example's of leadership or when you have taken control of a situation.

I hope this is of some help to you..

Best Regards and Best of Luck....

W.G

Lancer3d
28th Feb 2003, 03:50
Thanks alot for the reply, is it a really stupid question that I asked?

scroggs
28th Feb 2003, 12:15
No, these are not stupid questions at all, but the answers must be unique to you; it's not good enough to quote someone else's ideas. You will almost certainly be asked to expand on your answers if (when!) you reach interview.

Assuming you are applying to an English-language company, take great care with your writing. W.G. above gives us some excellent examples of things to avoid (sorry, W.G., but I couldn't resist this!). Apostrophes are used for two major reasons: to denote ownership (this is John's car), or to indicate abbreviation (can't, won't, it's [which is short for it is, not belonging to it]). Apostrophes are not used in plurals ( meaning more than one - managers, questions) or adverbs (always). Try and avoid cliches (at the end of the day). Inverted commas ("TEAM") should be used for reported speech, or (rarely) when using a euphemism for another word. Capitalisation (TEAM) should be restricted to the first letter of a sentence (Just be honest...), or acronyms (FAA); avoid using them for emphasis.

I'm sorry to take the mick out of W.G. a bit, as his advice is absolutely sound - but he provided such an excellent example of some of the things to avoid in the formal written English you should use in an application. Once again, W.G. - sorry!

Scroggs
Virgin/Wannabes Moderator
[email protected]

slugman
28th Feb 2003, 12:25
Slroggs

U is well good at dat english fing !?

Slug := :p

dmdrewitt
28th Feb 2003, 12:42
Someone who thinks he is Ali G.....???

slugman
28th Feb 2003, 13:20
Ah Drewitt - hows the paper bag holding ?

Wasn’t thinking of Ali G, but now u mention it - does sound like a bad impression ! Have a pint of mild and relax, theres a good boy !

Slug
;)

Whispering Giant
28th Feb 2003, 15:00
SCROGGS - apologies for the gramattical error's in my reply - but the brain dont function too well at 4am in the morning doing a night shift ;)

GS-Alpha
1st Mar 2003, 11:45
If we are talking about formal English for application forms; one should really avoid using words such as, "won't". It is far better to use, "will not".