PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Airline at Last.

Ramboflyer 1
27th Feb 2003, 21:36
At last we have a new operator on the way we should call it the first airline and QF can slip to second and Virgin to a major 3rd or should we say last.
Flying sometime in 2003 and will more than likely be A320 series and bigger.:eek:

fartsock
27th Feb 2003, 21:41
Yawn......

I'll bookmark this thread so that at the end of '03, when no new carrier has commenced ops, I can resurect it and make you look like a goose....

Ramboflyer 1
27th Feb 2003, 21:50
Very fast response i hope i dont get plucked for Xmas.

apacau
27th Feb 2003, 21:55
You'll have to give a little more info for anyone to remotely believe what you're saying :-)

It's a bit like the boy who cried wolf on this subject.

Buster Hyman
27th Feb 2003, 23:01
If you are talking about the proposed resurrection (again) of Ansett that's circulating, then forget it! They have managed to get finance, but it's woefully low at this stage! :(

pizza
27th Feb 2003, 23:15
Have heard from reliable sources major carrier to start ops within 12-18 months. with or without and alliance, money no problem.:O

Cynical MoFo
27th Feb 2003, 23:36
I heard that after it emerges from Chapter 11, United Airlines is going to take on Qantas and Virgin on their own turf.

No. Really!

:8 :E :E

Ball Bay
27th Feb 2003, 23:49
But it is operating already.
We currently know it as "Alliance".
Their slick GM/Accountant has it all sorted out & will be making his big expansion plans known in the next few days.
They have the funds, expertise, alliances and ability to take on both QF and DJ.

T53C
28th Feb 2003, 03:04
Another thread states that Alliance are doing a deal with DJ, and this one says 'taking them on' along with QF. Has anyone actually got the scoop on whats REALLY happening?

king bonza
28th Feb 2003, 11:09
interesting. though I wonder what would be a good name for a new player if it were to start. let us start a competition hey!!!
to all those neysayers, how on earth could we discount the possibility of a new entrant. look at the market. there is still room for one more. virgin is not an absolute and if anyone thinks that they are, need only look to the past to appreciate the folly of such thinking!

frank Borman
2nd Mar 2003, 22:46
OK, as I'm currently in Singapore, I can confirm it aint them. There will be no 3rd airline in their own right. Watch for foreign investment in another incumbent. And this is NOT SQ investment in QF.

So, yes, in 18 months time, we will have another player, but an expansion on what we have and using REX and Alliance. Thats all I'm giving away.

Oh, and yes, it will be using A320 A321 series. Possibly even A330.

Capt Claret
2nd Mar 2003, 23:36
It seems to me that the public and pilots alike crave a third airline for the perceived benefits of more competition, chaeper airfares and more jobs.

So from time to time we get a third, or fourth, airline. Fares becaome unsustainably cheap, and one or more operators go out of business, most recently costing some 16000 jobs.

I'm not arguing against competition, or the airlines which remain. It does seem obvious though, that despite the market between Melboure, Sydney & Brisbane, that Australia, with its vast distances and geographic isolation from the rest of the world, doesn't have the population to support more than two viable airlines.

One wonders (without malice) what the Australian airline scene would reflect now, had Ansett survived the competiton between AN/QF/VB? Would the three have been able to find sufficient market share to remain viable?

Buster Hyman
3rd Mar 2003, 01:46
I think, Capt Claret, that for the 3 carrier scene to work, it would've meant a tie up with AN/DJ. Now, I'm sure the DJ staff are quite happy the way it's turned out & I believe they would be right in assuming it was a no win scenario for them, however, An & DJ competing against each other would have made the rat even stronger, IMHO!:)

Besides, no matter how well AN could've been saved, the incumbent & inept management would have found a way to survive the cull & wreak their havoc to her again.:mad: :( :yuk:

Mud Skipper
3rd Mar 2003, 02:53
How do you make a small fortune in aviation?

............................................................ .... :-)

I don't know what drugs your all on but I want some.

:= :D :yuk:

Al E. Vator
4th Mar 2003, 00:36
...how do you make a big fortune.
Virgin Blue started as a third carrier (or was it fourth?) capitalised to the tune of only $50m (even that is an optimistic assessment). Now there are only two and the airline is worth somewhere between 1/2 Billion and 1 Billion Dollars.

Willie Nelson
4th Mar 2003, 02:16
Despite the fact that there is again only two major incumbents, we now have a unique situation:

Both the carriers are two of a small handfull of Successful airlines around the globe at the present, QF in particular being very unique as it is not operating as a low cost operator.

By all accounts DJ is opening up new domestic travel markets in such a way that only a LCO could.

And QF is, very astutely I believe, doing much to reduce expenses and therefore bring its cost base closer to that of DJ while still providing a full service airline.

I believe that despite there being only two majors at the present, we do have some genuine competition and in addition, management that has a degree of foresight not seen in our market by the majors for some time. One only has to look at America, the last bastion of capitalism and competition to see that there is an extreme end of the scale far from the status quo in Australia. Airlines such as American losing $US529 million in the third quarter does not represent a buoyant market with the ability to seek out new markets.

As consumers we all apreciate the benefits of competition but given a choice, and I am not, I would also like to see particularly DJ given the chance to stabilise and place some equity in those flash new jets. Lets not be too hasty to bring in the new guns just yet.

Willie Nelson.