PDA

View Full Version : Internet Cafe?

Captain Airclues
27th Feb 2003, 16:28
Could somebody please tell me if there is an Internet cafe in Kowloon? My crew hotel charges $200HK/hour, and as a regular visitor to Hong Kong, my PPRuNe addiction is becoming rather expensive.

Airclues

BigTimeWannabe
27th Feb 2003, 17:21
There are loads of internet cafes on Nathan Road mate! All those places like Cyber Sniper...etc. Set you back no more than $20/hr. Just got to ask kids for places where you can play 'Counterstrike'!!!

Cpt. Underpants
27th Feb 2003, 23:47
BTW is correct. Just look hard...they tend to be in basements and lofts, and will be "gaming parlours" rather than Internet Cafe's...but all have great gear, super-fast graphics and broadband connections. As a rule they are poorly signposted.

If you want a specific address, then head N on Nathan Road, take a right into Humphries Avenue, stay on the Southern Pavement, and after about 30 metres, look for a sign directing you up. It's one of dozens in TST, and the "membership" is nominal (often free) and rates about HKD20/hr.

HotDog
28th Feb 2003, 05:15
If you buy a cup of coffe (HKD20) in area A of the departure level Chek Lap Kok, you can go on the net for free as long as you like. If you can get near it mind you, it's very popular but they have two consoles. Also there is another free one up there somewhere, ask information desk.

Captain Airclues
28th Feb 2003, 10:43
Many thanks. I couldn't find any last week but was obviously looking for the wrong thing. I've got three HKG trips in March, so with your advice my PPRuNing has now become more affordable.

Airclues

FaPoGai
28th Feb 2003, 14:42
There WAS one (last yr) in the area where Ocean Terminal and Harbour City join. I think it was on the 2nd. level near to Dan Ryans Pub and the Arcade of the Hong Kong Hotel. Same deal, buy a cup of coffee and help yourself.
Rgds. FPG.

Dan Winterland
28th Feb 2003, 20:19
Alternatively, if you are there lots, why not sign up to an HK account to plug you laptop in - if you have one of course. Try www.netvigator.com Costs 138HKD a month for unlimited access plus 1.20HKD an hour government tax. Especially cheap if you share the cost with a mate. Good quick connection, in fact I'm on it right now!

joebanana
28th Feb 2003, 20:41
Ah Dan, now that reminds me! I've got a couple of bills for you.

Don't leave the country!!! :p

christep
1st Mar 2003, 15:31
Er. "$1.20 per hour government tax"?

Could you be referring to the PNETS fee? This is the fee that all ISPs (and other value-added service operators) have to pay the the carrier providing the underlying infrastructure (e.g. PCCW or HGC). It isn't a government tax.

Dan Winterland
1st Mar 2003, 18:50
PNETS fee, possibly. Just repeating info given to me.

Joe - the cash is in your mail slot. Honest! :O

jungly
3rd Mar 2003, 10:57
Pacific Coffee has free internet access as do 2 other java houses (across the harbour in the IFC...... the 2 min walk from the Star ferry wont do you any harm)

B'jesus is half of Brize-Vegas here now! Damn crabs

Waste Gate
6th Mar 2003, 09:44
You can surf the net for free at the HK Library, the sand coloured building opposite Victoria Park in Causeway Bay.;) ;)