View Full Version : Fit for discharge

swinging monkey
27th Feb 2003, 12:00
Gentlemen,

I am shortly to leave the service after more years service than I care to remember.
However, I've just been diagnosed with a large stomach hernia, which needs fairly urgent surgery. My question is thus......
I obviously cannot take up my new employment whilst I am recovering/convalesing. Are the service obliged to pay me until I am fully fit again, or can they 'wash their hands' of me at my exit date, irrespective of my medical condition?? Help please Chaps!
Kind regards
The Swinging Monkey
'No more swinging for me, for a while Caruthers, better break open the scotch!'

Bradders
27th Feb 2003, 12:04
When I left the marines, you could not be discharged unless you were fully fit. I'm not sure about the RAF though.

Lukeafb1
27th Feb 2003, 12:55
I believe Bradders observations apply to all Armed Services. They certainly used to.

Good luck Swinging Monkey, on the medical side and civvy street.

rivetjoint
27th Feb 2003, 16:56
On the recent dentist thread someone said they have to return you to civvy street in the condition they found you in, didn't they?

Grob Driver
27th Feb 2003, 20:09
Monkey Man
sorry to hear about your medic problem.
I should have thought it was good practise to 'keep you in' until you are fit and recovered ok, but I fear that the 'bean-counters' may have a different view.
Good luck and i hope you get what you want.
Grob driver

jobsworth
28th Feb 2003, 10:05
When I left the RAF about 7 months ago I was half way through some orthodontic treatment. This didnt stop me leaving also the RAF have continued with the work they started. So I wouldn't say I was dentally fit when I left.

Blacksheep
2nd Mar 2003, 00:10
Its many years since my demob, but a colleague due out at the same time, was "unfit for discharge'. All he had to do was sign a document and he would have been discharged immediately but with no claim on the service for his medical condition. He refused to sign, and for all I know he's still reporting to Northolt's medical centre every day for his pills.

The service is supposed to return you to civilian life fully serviceable. If they discharge you with a U/S label attached, you may have a claim against the service, so they are likely to apply pressure for you to sign yourself out. Resist the pressure.

Through difficulties to the cinema

swinging monkey
2nd Mar 2003, 09:22
Gentlemen,
Many thanks for the replies. I too have heard that we are supposed to be discharged 'fit' although I'm unsure of what the current 'official' line is on this matter.
I put the problem to the blunties and was greeted by a sharp intake in breath! and comments such as 'Oh I don't think thats right anymore Sir!' (of course they don't know)
Anyway, I'll pursue the matter, and keep you all info'd of the outcome.
I have been told that the service has a 'duty of care' clause to treat me after I leave, and they are happy to carry out the surgery, however, I will clearly be unable to take up the employment I've secured for at least a couple of months, and I wondered if the service will continue to pay me, or do I immediately go 'on the sick' for benefits etc. when I leave?
Many thanks for your interest chaps.
best wishes as always
The Swinging Monkey
'Caruthers, best you hang up the strop for a while, old bean!'

swinging monkey
4th Mar 2003, 07:09
Chaps,

Sorry to drag this to the top, especially as there are far more important issues to talk about.
I just wanted to ket you all know what the 'official' line is on being fit (or unfit) for discharge is................

The service have a duty of care to help you medically when you are discharged, providing the injury/problem was apparent BEFORE your exit date. The myth that they MUST return you to civvie street in the condition you joined, is just that...a myth. And although I hate to admit it, I do see there point (there isn't much chance to return lots of us in the same condition we were in 30+ years ago.

So the moral is clear:
1. If you are bust, get it fixed while you're in
2. Don't get bust! (not easy if you are a swinging monkey!
3. Don't expect much help once you leave, you're on you're own, with the NHS!

Kind regards

The Swinging Monkey

ps. They do provide you with the names/tel no's/ addresses etc of ex-servicemans charities to help you with this kind of thing - thats nice of them, isn't it??

'Caruthers, where is that BUPA plan I had??

ZK-NSJ
5th Mar 2003, 02:56
so if u joined 30 years ago, when ya leave they have to give u hair transplants, a new hip, new ears and eyes and a s**tload of anti wrinkle cream

swinging monkey
5th Mar 2003, 06:59
ZK-NSJ

Guess you got in one!!:O
Mind you, whilst I could do with some new eyes, ears and right knee, I'm not in need (just yet) of lots of anti-wrinkle cream:*

You take care down under
Regards

The Swinging Monkey
'Caruthers, some Kiwi bloke is suggesting I'm wrinkled, don't you know!!

John (Gary) Cooper
5th Mar 2003, 08:10
SM

I went into the RAF as a 100% fit 16 year old and came out (1969) as 40% disabled through no fault of my own.

I was not aware until Y2K of a compensation package available in the form of a War Disablement Pension (misleading as you did not have to take part in any conflict!).

Under the Data Protection Act 1998 you are entitled to a 'Subject Access Request' where the RAF/RN must give you a copy of ALL of your medical documents. I was initially denied this request, but fought on and won the day!

First I was given a lump sum payment, then I appealed and again won the day, the lump sum was 'taken into account' (ie clawed back) and I was awarded a pension, two months ago I appealed against this paltry amount at a court in London who found in my favour. (Only 16% of appeal cases are successful)

If anyone requires further info please either PM or e.mail me.

Best of luck

Alex Whittingham
6th Mar 2003, 16:11
That's interesting. I was medically discharged but they wouldn't give me a bean as they said my injury wasn't their fault.

John (Gary) Cooper
6th Mar 2003, 18:07
Alex W

If you think you have a case, fight on.

The RBL, SSAFA or RAFA are all willing to help at no charge to you. I fought my own corner but in hindsight I should have chosen the above experts.:ok: