PDA

View Full Version : FAA to JAA schools for conversion

MEI
27th Feb 2003, 08:47
I am nearing the end of the written exams and an looking around for a school to do the commercial multi- IR conversions. I already have the FAA licenses so I believe that I only need the min. of 15 hours multi- instrument training. Is there a seperate check ride for the commercial or will the multi-IR part cover that. Could anyone have a recommendation on anyplace as far as money, aircraft, instruction quality. They seem to run from £3000 to £5000 or there abouts. Just been looking in the back of the magizines and hitting some websites but want to steer clear of any problems, hence the recommendations!!:p

Buzzy
27th Feb 2003, 09:51
You will have to do a CPL skills test as well as the IR. CPL is training as required. Best place for the IR and CPL conversion would be AFT at Exeter. Good price and excellent instruction.

Sky Goose
27th Feb 2003, 11:27
Hi MEI,

Im in the same boat as yourself, except I dont have a multi, but finished my exams last December.

I went to the flight training show at Heathrow a few month back and have managed to visit some schools that seemed pretty jacked.

I went to Airways Flight Training in Exeter, Profesional Air Training and Examiner Training in Bournemouth.

They all seemed up to the job, very informed and helpful, but have decided to go with AFT in Exeter.

I will be starting my CPL conversion on Monday, costs around £3000, depending on how many hours you need (the £3K covers 15 as I understand). You also only have to pay once youre done, which is good to know as my ATPL distance school went bust on me half way through the course.

The instrument and multi conversion I still have to do aswell, but will have to save some more mulas for that !
With the test and all I'm budgeting around another £6-7K for that.

Hope that helps a little, feel free to contact me via the e-mail address, [email protected], as the one on the site is my work e-mail and I wont be at work from Friday the 28th of Feb onwards.

cheers

Tinstaafl
27th Feb 2003, 14:04
Tayflight in Perth have had a number of excellent reports, including mine.

A few of us have converted from OS licences to UK ones there.

Steep Pressure Gradient
27th Feb 2003, 17:07
Definately agree - Tayflite.

Reasonably priced a/c. Cheap accommodation and a bar on the field. Resident examiner. FNPT2. Uncrowded airspace.

Try a search - all the info is there.

kido
28th Feb 2003, 13:17
AFT - Exeter for sure.........HIGHLY recommend them.
small outfit, which makes things even more personal. You don't have to worry about trying to book an A/C or getting an instructor. -which just makes the whole process a lot quicker and smoother......and you can't beat the price or service!