PDA

View Full Version : Can Anyone Help with this Hongikair Query?

OVERTALK
27th Feb 2003, 04:43
Dear Sir

We operate two 214B Bell helicopters for aerial work only , external cargo sling-work in Korea.
We don't use this helicopter for internal loading purposes with 13800 pounds grossweight capability
I would like to know whether we need to install CVR or FDR as ICAO recommends for Air Transport helicopter of grossweight over 5700kg .

Your advice will be very appreciated.

Best Regards
S S KIM
Manager HI AIR
Seoul Korea

A Citation of a regulation (or other reference or an anecdotal "for instance") might be more helpful than an opinion (but any input welcomed)

Shawn Coyle
27th Feb 2003, 23:08
Not sure if this will answer the question, but the requirement for CVR and FDR will be covered in two places. One is the certification basis - for the Bell 214B, it will be Part 29, but you need to find out the appropriate amendment - the amendment in force when the helicopter was first certified.
This amendment basis will determine whether a CVR / FDR is required for certification (it will say something like - if required by operating rules, when installed a CVR, etc.)
Then you need to look at the appropriate operating rules to see if you need a CVR based on the number of seats you actually have on the aircraft. If the configuration is for no seats, you should be quite safe. You may be operating using a Flight Manual Supplement for this configuration, in which case you should be OK without the CVR / FDR.
From what little knowledge I have of the operating rules, the intention of the CVR / FDR is for passenger carrying operations, but again, I could be wrong.