View Full Version : HELP needed big time!!!!!!!!!!!

ILS27R
22nd Aug 2001, 15:12
Hi all,

Like many people on here I am wondering about going either modular or intergrated. The problem is which one do I choose?? I don't mind spending a few years as a FI as this would be quite fun I think. However, what I don't want to do is get stuck in a rut as a FI for the rest of my career or for 10 years because I chose the modular route!

I could start the modular course straight away, however if I wanted to do the intergrated course I would have to wait 2 or 3 years to save all the money as I hate being in debt!

As you can imagine if I had to wait this long to pay for an intergrated course I could have already clocked up 1000 hours as a FI if I did the modular route and be someway towards that first t/p job.

However, saying all this is rather like the debate concerning instant gratification.

The dilemma is if I was to spend another 3 years in a none-aviation job just to earn the money to fund an intergrated course, would I eventually overtake my modular counterparts in the job market? That is the question?

For instance I may spend 3 years earning the money in order to go intergrated and find a t/p job or even a jet job straight after leaving. Whereas if I did the modular route I could still be looking for that first break into the airlines.

If this was true the 3 years earning the money would be well spent! But the other half of me says that a licence is a licence no matter how you obtained it and a lot of things could change in 3 years!

I realise nothing is guaranteed in this industry.

But please help!!!!!!!!

ILS27R

Murray_NN
22nd Aug 2001, 15:31
I'm in the exact position as you are and have decided to go the modular route. My decision is based on how much I love aviation and how soon I want to be a pilot. I dont see why I should spend another 2 to 3 years doing something I dont like. Also, just to end up with a convenient way of getting my licence but not the all the important experience is not worth at all. Where would be the fun? the sweats? the hard work? and a feeling of achievement? What if you do the Integrated and end up with no job and maybe no money to do an FI rating?
I suggest you read Pilot Pete's story on how he got his job, and how proude of himself he is today. Its an eye opener for people in our position.

Good LUCK!!! :)

VFE
22nd Aug 2001, 15:33
It's probably as long as it is short.

I would go modular but that's only because I am very eager to get in the air.

Token Bird
22nd Aug 2001, 17:00
It's not just about being eager to get in the air. Airlines will expect you to have hours commensurate with age, so you should get started as soon as possible.

If you were trying to choose between integrated and modular to start now, I would say integrated, but if you have to wait 3 years for integrated I think modular will probably get the advantage.

Also, instructional time will just make you a better pilot all round, anyway,

TB