PDA

View Full Version : My Nokia mobile is sending me messages?

AerBabe
26th Feb 2003, 19:35
I know this isn't, strictly speaking, a computer question... but it is lots of little magic wires, with a keyboard and screen. ;)
Every so often my mobile comes up with the message "Allow sim action?" and "Yes/No" options.
If you select "Yes" it comes up with the message "How are you?"
Very odd. Freaked me out the first time cos I was having a really bad day and was just telling someone about it...
Not too big a problem, except it's happening more frequently now, and sometimes the phone seems to freeze and I have to turn it off and back on again.
Anyone come across this before?

Biggles Flies Undone
26th Feb 2003, 21:25
It's called bi-polar disorder :p

Squawk7777
27th Feb 2003, 02:03
What Nokia phone do you have? 3000, 5000 or 8000 series? If you are not sure, the model number is on the back side under the battery.

AerBabe
27th Feb 2003, 10:17
D'oh... you know I looked before posting... and then forgot to say. :O

Tinstaafl
27th Feb 2003, 16:54
My Nokia mobile is sending me messages?

Psychotic. Obviously psychotic. Not Bipolar Affective Disorder.

Next it will be the microwave & TV joining the Nokia...

:} :} :}

AerBabe
27th Feb 2003, 17:29
Okay, now it's not even asking me if I want to allow the sim action, it's just going blank then showing 'How are you?'
:uhoh:

BlueEagle
27th Feb 2003, 23:36
Just a very considerate 'phone that is deeply concerned for your welfare - you should treasure it!:}

RadarContact
28th Feb 2003, 10:28
Maybe it just likes you?

Then again, maybe you got one of those rare experimental versions of the 5210 series. Nokia was running trials on signal intensity and how much radiation a mobile could safely emit.
The idea was to have the user give feedback after every increase on signal intensity.
Once the user failed to respond to those messages they'd know the emission was too strong... ;)

(Hey, this should go to the "Let's create our own urban myth" section...)

Nightrider
1st Mar 2003, 10:44
A serious answer, also it may just be funny to continue the "bad" jokes.

You are obviously under attack of someone who has your mobile number. Wit a simple programme, sms mail bomber, this can be acchieved in seconds, even send over the net.

Read here a description of the functionallity:

Text messaging in LogoManager
As well as being able to send normal text messages, LogoManager enables some advanced features not normally available from the handset menus. All of the below features are network dependent and also depend on the capabilities of the receiving handset.
Newsflash - when it arrives, the message will display on the screen immediately instead of arriving in the inbox.

BTW...this LogoManager is a perfectly legal programme and is used by companies to send ads (spam) to mobiles...

Only your provider may be able to help as you need to find the senders number.

Dick Fisher
1st Mar 2003, 14:53
Might it be possible that your provider is Vodafone?

If so, their current ad campaign will provide the answer you seek. Their current catchphrase is "how are you?". Original hey? And what do you know.

Once again those advertising types seem to have come up with a campaign that's truly memorable (not!)

flyingwysiwyg
1st Mar 2003, 15:45
Hi Aerbabe,

I think this is to do with a relatively new function on Sim Cards and Nokia Phones (Maybe others as well). When I last changed my phone I had a new Sim Card as well. The new Sim card has a list of help numbers and information numbers stored on it.

My phone always says how are you? when I switch it on, and I now have access to an extra menu called Vodafone on my Nokia phone. It has sub menus: Help, Information, Leisure, Answerphone etc. allowing direct access to services without having to store the number on the phone yourself.

Does your mobile have this menu? If it does go into PHONE SETTINGS, then scroll down to CONFIRM SIM SERVICE ACTIONS and select NO. This should stop it asking you if you want to confirm sim actions all the time. Your phone should just say How are you, and log onto the network.

Don't know why your phone is freezing tho. Might be time for a new sim. Does this happen when the phone is already switched on, if so, try cleaning the metal bits on the sim card and the phone with a pencil erasor! (gently) Yes...........A pencil erasor.

Hope this helps.

fwyg.

slugman
1st Mar 2003, 16:11
……….Dave, I can see it Dave, there’s a purple haze, its beautiful man….and there’s a naked Indian, sand ….and……and…..its him, dude…cut down on the hallucinates. Although - its been a while since anybody asked me if I wanted sim action !!! :D

Slug
:=

AerBabe
1st Mar 2003, 21:26
Oooh, you're all tho mean and nathty. :sad:

Thanks those who have gave a sensible answer (although what should I expect here? BTW Tinny, you're a mean git).

Dick, yes it is Vodafone. I'm never aware of their current marketing strategies, as all the rubbish I get with my bill goes straight in the bin, or put in one of the pre-paid envelopes I get from other junk mailers and sent off. :O

fwyg, I'll have to get back to you when I've found where I've left my mobile. The problem with having no reception up in t'hills is you can't phone it to find it... :D

DistantRumble
10th Mar 2003, 15:12
Guess who puts together them marketing campaigns ....

AerBabe
13th Mar 2003, 22:28
Now I know why you have a shifty look about you!