PDA

View Full Version : CARICOM and pilot employement

mkeelan
26th Feb 2003, 16:58
does anyone know if having a passport from a CARICOM nation would entitle you to work as a pilot in other CARICOM nations? would having a Belize passport (CARICOM nation) entitle me to work for say LIAT or C-Star, or BWIA, or would you have to be from the West Indies to qualify for those positions?

pilotcoxy
27th Feb 2003, 18:24
Hi

Don't know about LIAT or Caribbean Star, but I don't think you stand a chance with BWIA, I hear you have to be a Trinnie born and bred, you can't even marry one (I have already considered that option!)

pc :cool:

cochise
28th Feb 2003, 18:34
Anyone can work for C'star, as long as you have the Dash-8 rating and some hours on type you'll be considered under contract conditions.
LIAT is a bit pickier but has hired nationals from all over the islands.
Bwee is currently laying off pilots with the latest figure @55 so fugedabadit!

tropical wave
28th Feb 2003, 23:18
Cochise.....BWIA is no different in'not hiring 'of non nationals as any of the other Caribbean carriers.Air Jamaica,Dutch Caribbean Airways,Surinam Airways,Bahamasair,Cayman Airways all have the same hiring policy as Bwee.Why did you ONLY mention BWIA in your post ??

My post was in reply to 'pilotcoxy', sorry 'cochise'

cochise
1st Mar 2003, 01:03
I think what T.Wave is trying to say is that most "National Carriers" try to protect their own by only hiring nationals. Yes it is true that Bwee has not taken on non-nationals for a while but there were times back in the 60's when they hired pilots from Grenada, Antigua, Jamaica, Cayman Is & Guyana to name a few. This is a fact, it just depends on where you're sitting on the pilot demand curve at the moment we're all Rock Bottom.

pilotcoxy
10th Mar 2003, 21:33
Hi tropical wave, what's your problem?

RTFQ, I was responding to mkeelan's original question which specifically mentioned BWIA. I have no knowledge of the recruitment policies of any of the other carriers you list so it would be ludicrous to comment on them. My tongue-in-cheek reply does not criticise or condone a nationalistic recruitment policy so no need to get all:mad: at me, chill out man

Of course you can always start you own thread debating the pros and cons of nationalistic recruitment policies and I will add my two cents to that

pc :cool: