PDA

View Full Version : Electra / Air Scotland...Jobs?

CLOUD999
26th Feb 2003, 15:45
Has anybody replied to the electra advert for B757 / 767 drivers?
If so are they interviewing? What are the terms being offered?
Is it worth looking at?
Im Scottish based B757 rated.
Thanks

B767300ER
26th Feb 2003, 16:23
Air Scotland sounds like a good place to work; I sent them a resume/CV but have'nt heard. They definately won't hire me without JAR license. I'd love to fly out of GLA/Edinburgh, however, and I'm 757/767-rated, with over 1100 hours in type with ETOPS.

I also told them my favorite comic strip was "Oor Wullie" ; think that'll get their attention?

Probably not.

Good luck, chaps.

dontdoit
26th Feb 2003, 16:50
<<I also told them my favorite comic strip was "Oor Wullie" ; think that'll get their attention? >>

I wouldn't admit to any Scottish connection in order to try and influence them - you're more likely to get a look in if you've got a Greek passport, Greek grandparents, etc.

aardvark keeper
26th Feb 2003, 17:34
I was told with Scot Airways, you have more chance with a Scottish address. I tried with a yorkshire address, not a sniffter or reply.

thegypsy
26th Feb 2003, 19:58
I received an E Mail requesting my presence for interview in Glasgow tomorrow but as short notice I was unable to make it. E Mail came yesterday from Moses Mousas Chief Pilot.

B767ER Why are you wasting your time applying to these EU jobs?? You have already asked on other threads about working in EU and you knowthe answer. I would not waste my time applying for jobs in USA as I well know what the score is there for non US citizens.

witchdoctor
27th Feb 2003, 10:28
Perhaps you could try the Broons? Whatever you do, just don't mention the rugby!!!!:eek:

Mister Geezer
1st Mar 2003, 22:49
Good luck to those who go for an interview. I hope it takes off but their sales on their ABZ routes have been desperately low! I hear that the routes from GLA and EDI are selling ok. I hope things will change but apart from the odd advert on ITV, that lasts no more than 10 seconds, there has been very little in press or radio advertising. As a result Air Scotland are saying 'use it or lose it' - valid point but that is not very fair if you have not marketed your product very well. Local press and radio are a must IMHO!

The advert that they recently placed in Flight a few weeks ago was actually aimed at recruiting crew for Electra's Brussels base and not for the Air Scotland operation.

By the sounds of things the more British (esp Scottish) blood we get into the company the better. Scotland's airline operated by Greek staff! Mmmmm :rolleyes:

Gypsy
2nd Mar 2003, 07:25
Oh gawd

If Mr G and this airline pursue such a policy I'll have to lobby my own English airline to take more British but preferrably English blood.

CLOUD999
2nd Mar 2003, 12:23
Thanks for all the replies..... however some of the info seems somewhat contradictory.

Thegypsy had an interview arranged in Glasgow..yet Mister Geezer reckons the advert in Flight was for Brussels based crew!

Mister G, Is your info on ABZ sales figures as well informed?

If this company stands half a chance of succeeding in its venture then I may apply but otherwise Il stay where I am... positive information does seem rather thin on the ground at the moment!

Mister Geezer
2nd Mar 2003, 15:43
Gypsy - Just a bit of lighthearted banter.... as long as you can handle the crew food (irn bru and battered mars bars) then you will fit in fine! :D

Cloud 999 - I emailed Electra when the advert was published in Flight and I was told that they were recruiting for their Brussels base (flying to destinations in Africa) - there was no mention of being based in Scotland or indeed being linked to Air Scotland. Maybe they have enough Air Scotland CV's on file?

The sales figures for the ABZ routes were splashed across the press with Air Scotland claiming that they were very puzzled at the lack of bookings that had been made. The sales figures that they were quoting were so low they were rather embarrassing. Hopefully things will have picked up now.

The article in question is below:

AIRLINE'S NEW FLIGHTS FAIL TO TAKE OFF
MARK DREVER
18 February 2003

Scotland's newest airline is threatening to pull direct flights out of Aberdeen before they start due to a lack of interest from the public. Air-Scotland's operations managers are holding talks this week to discuss action after only getting a handful of bookings for their two new weekly services to Spain.

Aberdeen Airport bosses claim sales are significantly down compared to the introduction of similar flights at other Scottish airports, and urge the public to make the most of the deals on offer.

Local politicians have also voiced concern over the take-up, fearing the worst if things don't improve.

Holidaymakers in the North-east have long complained of the lack of direct flights from Aberdeen to Mediterranean destinations meaning they face long journeys to other airports.

Details of the new flights to Barcelona and Majorca were revealed this month and it was expected they would sell quickly.

But to date, only 35 seats have been sold and the bemused operator is now saying "use it or lose it".

Dhia Al-Ani, Air-Scotland's founder and chairman, said: "There has hardly been any bookings yet. Something's clearly not right, but we've got no idea what it can be."

The last major route to be announced from Aberdeen by a new operator was Ryanair with flights to Dublin. They have been a huge success with 57,000 seats sold so far.

Seats for the flights to Barcelona on Mondays and Palma de Mallorca on Tuesdays went on sale earlier this month after the airline were inundated with requests from the North-east asking for low-cost direct flights from Aberdeen.

The service, operated by Electra Airlines, was due to start running from June 16 with one-way fares starting at £29.

Mr Al-Ani said, while he is bitterly disappointed at the lack of interest, pulling out of the city altogether is a last resort ??? which they may yet be forced into.

"We had 35 on the first day but hardly any since", he said.

"The £29 flights are still available but no one wants to take them.

"A lot of the bookings have been for groups and bigger parties so what we have really had works out at about 10 bookings in 10 days."
Mr Al-Ani said his operations team are working out their options allowing him to make a decision in the next day or two.

"We're still looking at what can be done.

"We may possibly change the days of the flights or the destinations as we got a lot of emails asking for flights to Alicante and other destinations.

"We want to fly from Aberdeen. We don't want to have to pull out as it's not good for our customers, our confidence and our long-term plan."

Mr Al-Ani said the airline, which also flies from Edinburgh and Glasgow, had received thousands of emails earlier this year asking for flights from Aberdeen.

"It's very disappointing. There was a huge amount of interest and it has not been easy to set up.

"We don't want to cancel the service as we don't want to let down those customers who have already booked on the flights."

He ruled out the threat of a war in Iraq as a possible deterrent and added:

"The threat of war or terrorism doesn't seem to be affecting our services in Glasgow and Edinburgh.

"We have had a lot of custom from the North-east in the past and we are working to find a solution, but we really don't know what the problem is."

Aberdeen Airport's managing director Norton Bertram-Smith worked closely with Air-Scotland to set up the routes and said the airline are committed to operating from the North-east.

He said: "Obviously it is disappointing that there has been such a slow take-up of the two services since they were announced, especially considering the really low fares on offer.

"I would have hoped that Barcelona in particular would prove to be attractive. However, it is early days and tickets have only been on sale for little over a week.

"The figures show sales are not as good as they have been in Glasgow and Edinburgh.

"It's down to the public to either use them or there will be changes."
Aberdeen North MSP Elaine Thomson added: "I'm all in favour of tying to expand routes from Aberdeen.

"There has been a long demand for this type of opportunity and it would be very disappointing to lose these flights before they've had time to settle in.

"There must be a special reason for such a slow take-up of the seats and I hope Air-Scotland look at their advertising strategy because they may find something there.

"I thought holidaymakers would have welcomed these new routes and I'm very surprised that they are not proving to be popular."

CLOUD999
2nd Mar 2003, 16:44
Mister Geezer Thanks for your reply, it certainly explains things a little better, I had n't seen anything in the press myself..thats certainly usefull background info.

I may send in a cv now but if your experience is anything to go by will not hold out much hope.

Whatever, I hope they do get up and running successfully...and using British Flight Deck!!!!

Mister Geezer
2nd Mar 2003, 17:17
Glad the info was of some use. The only thing I am worried about is that they will expand too fast for their own good! I hope they do succeed and do well!

XSBaggage
3rd Mar 2003, 02:43
Cloud 999,

I would not pin too many hopes on employment. In addition to all the posts about Electra jobs already on this thread, the ABZ problem suggests they may unfortunately not quite have their target markets right.

What nobody has yet suggested, is that Air Scotland's perceived instability may be the reason for the low sales on the ABZ routes. The confusion after their launch regarding CAA status was widely reported, and perhaps this is putting pax off.

Perhaps the GLA and EDI routes are selling well because they are being filled by Viva / Discount holidays package pax? They are owned by the same people as Air Scotland. I can't imagine the TV adverts would fill lots of people with a burning desire to book. Those in the Scottish TV area who have seen them would agree I am sure.

If they get their act together and their sums right they could do wonders for Scottish air travel, but I fear they may miss their chance.

Eff Oh
3rd Mar 2003, 17:37
Well guys, interviews at very short notice. Trying to recruit as many Scottish or Scottish based Flight Crew as possible. All cabin crew are Scottish I believe. market seems there, just keep your fingers crossed. :O
2 ex LTU B757s (SX-BVN c/n 24497 and SX-BVM c/n 24451) operated by Electra Airlines for Air Scotland. November 1 x B767 to arrive too. I know they have an office in Brussels, but they are not operating B757s there at the moment. Lots of questions need answered, but I am sure it will work.

Gypsy
3rd Mar 2003, 20:09
Right then - that does it

CLOUD999
3rd Mar 2003, 20:41
I ve still to hear from someone who has actualy been interviewed! As for the actual terms of employment, thats a mystery also!
I ve got to admit that the advertising policy seems to be just as vague. I would love to think that this operation will succeed, and hopefully it will, but as yet I am as unconvinced as the potential passengers in the NE.
Perhaps more information to the public will get more bookings, and more information to potential employees will get good UK crew, including the odd Scot, to apply.
:confused:

Eff Oh
4th Mar 2003, 09:26
CLOUD999 check your "Private Messages".
Eff Oh.

GEENY
4th Mar 2003, 10:41
Why not use a search engine (like Google..) and type in Electra Airlines?Might discover they were refused to operate into Canada and few other details,too.

B767300ER
5th Mar 2003, 19:20
A Scottish airline run by Greeks?

My, what a novelty.

Wonder if crew meals will have black pudding or moussaka?:D

Meeb
6th Mar 2003, 09:55
A yank showing his ignorance again... black pudding is Scottish..? Suggest you do a little research before posting such drivel.

I have said before and will say again, this outfit is BAD for Scotland, period. :*

Air Mike 957
7th Mar 2003, 00:36
meeb don't dispair check ont most of B767-300's posts,the guy is a ****!

CLOUD999
7th Mar 2003, 08:51
Meeb, can you substantiate your argument that Air Scotland is BAD for Scotland ..period! or is this just your assumption based on prejudice!

If you have some actual information to suggest they are so bad I d love to know. Fact rather than opinion however.:confused:

B767300ER
8th Mar 2003, 04:15
Whats the matter 'Air Mike'? Been out on Guam too long? Miss the old USA? Tired of your hair frizzing or the snakes crawling up your arse?

Cheers!
(I've had black pudding on many Glasgow-Prestwick layovers, thank you)

justforfun
9th Mar 2003, 18:00
Dunno if its any help for you guys, BUT, my girlfriend has just accpeted a job as Cabin crew with Air Scotland... definately looking very much for Scots, first flight ex GLA to BCN around 25th March (may have been 27th, but there or thereabouts) Cabin crew training starts on Monday 10th!!!

Oh, they're fone no is 0141 222 2363...

Best of luck!!!;)

Meeb
9th Mar 2003, 18:05
Well I would not let anyone I knew, let alone a loved one, anywhere near them...

Cloud999 (why shout?), do a little digging, its all there...

EGPFlyer
9th Mar 2003, 19:15
Well I would not let anyone I knew, let alone a loved one, anywhere near them...

Meeb,

If you know any facts pointing towards a safety issue with regards to Air Scotland then surely it is the responsible thing to tell us about it?

CLOUD999
10th Mar 2003, 09:28
Meeb, Did nt mean to shout, I was just repeating what you had said (without the bold).

As for the digging I have and I am, and have seen nothing to suggest that this outfit is bad for Scotland. I am still not convinced one way or the other whether it will work...but I really hope it does the more job options up here the better.

As has already been said if you have some real info then pass it on.;)

B767300ER
26th Apr 2003, 07:53
World Airline Fleet News reports in this months' issue (April '03) that:

"Air Scotland was set to operate its first revenue flight from Glasgow to Palma on March 29th. The carrier has leased (wet) two B-757-200s, (SX-BVM and SX-BVN) from Electra Airlines of Greece for start-up. Both arrived in full Air Scotland markings with one being names 'BraveHeart' ."

freightdoggy dog
1st May 2003, 17:07
all pie in the skye! Where are all the Meep ( or is that neep ) bashers now. Good news for FlyGlobespan.com.