PDA

View Full Version : Loss of Class 1 Medical

MJR
26th Feb 2003, 09:29
I grim topic I Know, but for a person maturing in years I was wondering what percentage of pilots lose there Class 1 medical status and when? how? and does it come as a big surprise or do they have an inckling that there is a problem

cheers

MJR

Doodlebug
26th Feb 2003, 09:57
Hello MJR

I've known 3 guys that lost their medicals. One was 32, eyes went out of limits. 4 years and 2 laser operations later he is now able to fly again, but has since made a name for himself in computers and has opted to stay there. Another had heart problems at 36, had a valve worked on and is now ok again but quit flying, also for computers! The third was also in his early 30's, had a blood clot in his leg and has had to give up on a very promising career. Flies a desk now, poor fellow! These 3 have sent me on a wild chase to find adequate insurance, still no joy, though. Any tips would be appreciated, by the way!

Hufty
28th Feb 2003, 10:13
I asked my AME this recently and he argued that alcoholism and alcohol related diseases are the biggest causes of people losing their class 1!

He said this was predominantly among older pilots when a career of layover drinking eventually damages liver, heart etc.

He mentioned psychiatric problems too so all in all this seems like a fairly hazardous career!