PDA

View Full Version : Safety award to Hapag-Lloyd

N380UA
31st Jul 2001, 11:52
A rumour has it that Airbus has awarded Hapag-Lloyd the aviation safety award for the A310.
Does that imply that every airline has one glider approach per year good? Did anyone hear about that as well?
Cheers

E. MORSE
31st Jul 2001, 12:04
What a joke .

Crash-your-alu-and-get-a-price.

:confused:

Send Clowns
31st Jul 2001, 22:22
Does anyone else feel they should have lost their AOC? Their Captain, in discussion with his company, opted not to land at the nearest useable runway after a problem for purely commercial reasons. This decision endangers everyone on the aircraft. What is the AOC for, if not to restrict air transport operations to those responsible enough to operate safely?

Rammstein
1st Aug 2001, 01:40
Well, quite everybody is greening about this when first looking at it.

But on the other hand, are you really talking about a safety award or rather a dispatch reliability award? The difference might not seem to be obvious at first, but one is looking at the accident rate , while the other is looking at the technical state.

I think no company can protect itself from individuals who make wrong decisions. With HLF and Vienna it looks like there was a wellpaid Captain, having a wrong understanding about what his airplane (or rather the airplanes computers) is telling him. And there was a quite wellpaid F/O trying to convince his Captain that there was not enough fuel.

I think, Send Clowns, before discussing the removal of an AOC, we should rather talk generally about the role of the First Officer and the meening and the use of CRM. I have the impression, that there are quite some elderly pilots spread all over the companies, not only with HLF, but also with BA, LH, AF, Britannia, and so on, who might have their own understanding of the contents of CRM. And thats not a companies fault, but a fault of individuals to realize the importance of making a decision as a crew.

BoarderDude
1st Aug 2001, 04:22
.... Maybe we can give 'em an award for "the most silent noise abatement approach ever flown"...

Oh, wait, they just lost that award due to excessive noise on touchdown...

MWUHAHAHAHA... :D :D :D

Max Blow
3rd Aug 2001, 17:28
They're still the best paying charter company in squarehead country. I never fly with them 'cause they never hired me...
I've seen a bilboard in one of the German airports showing a HLF310 with the slogan:

THE BEST WAY TO GET AWAY !!!

somebody wrote below, if there's enough fuel in it!