PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a total beginner.Please!

aoife
25th Feb 2003, 23:12
I'm a flying virgin, so to speak, about to take that leap into taking lessons for a PPL. I've been shopping around in dublin, Ireland re schools, though God knows there's not much choice , and would be interested to hear if anyone out there has any experience with any here and what you think of them... In fact any thoughts from anyone from here who's learnt to fly, in this country or aboard, would be Grr-eat.

it costs about €6k here to get PPL. Does anyone else know of anywhere cheaper? I've checked a couple of places in the States and one in Spain and you're looking at €48k - €55k to go the whole hog and study for CPL for two years, not inc living expenses. I realise it's an expensive game but I think the best thing may be to do PPL here and then see. How do you feel about that?

Also, I'm 29, I assume it's not to late to consider the possibility of making a career out of this...or is it?? and is there much private charter work out there? And of course, is it true you could be waiting for years for your first paid job flying any plane? Thanks in advance for replies. And enjoy your flight.

TR4A
25th Feb 2003, 23:49
Try the wannabes forum

slugman
26th Feb 2003, 00:14
Ahh TR4A constructive and helpful as ever...

Aoife,

Information is the key, check out this part of the forum (do a search !! ) - there are nuggets of wisdom in some places ! But seriously find out as much as you can - I don’t think you are too old to begin and a PPL sounds like a good place to start !

Good luck
Slug
:=

ArcherII
26th Feb 2003, 00:37
I'm looking at two schools in Florida, which seem to train you for all JAA and FAA licences for less than 30,000 bucks.

If you can get to Florida...

parris50
26th Feb 2003, 04:21
I don't think it's too late and I do think getting a PPL is your best first move. I agree that it's best to get as much information as you can before you part with any cash.

Get your class 1 medical before you start and if you can, visit a few flying schools that provide professional training so that you can get a feel for what you are letting yourself in for. Most have weekend seminars and in my experience, you ca always arrange a visit at other times.

I'm in the middle of my IR training right now but started in exactly the same way that you are considering. The most important advice I was given is NOT to hand over large sums of money in advance for training. Students have lost vast amounts of money when their flying school went out of business. It may cast a bit more but it is safest to pay as you go.

Be prepared for a lot of work but above all, enjoy yourself!

AP

Vin Diesel
26th Feb 2003, 09:50
I think you should be aware that a PPL in Ireland will cost more than €6000. You should budget to fly about 55-60hours for a ppl. At a cost of €145per hour in a C150, it will cost closer to €8000 for flying alone. Add in a medical, class two for a ppl, mine cost €140 in july 2001, money for books, exam tuition and a headset and some other gear and a figure of €9000 is probably the amount you'll need.
I started my PPL last year in the Dublin area, and i must say the school i went to was very busy in the summer but the instructors were top class, and a great bunch of people. My instructor even phoned me at home to ask me to come in a little early for a lesson, to make sure I got it, as they were closing the airfield early that evening.
I would advise you to do a PPL before commiting to an integrated course as it will give you an idea of what flying is like, and give you a sound footing on which to build.
What ever you decide, do as much research as you can before committing to anything, and speak to current and past students of the school. Visiting a school unannounced will give you a great idea of what the set up is like.
You can do a search on integrated-v-modular and you will receive a vast amount of information if you are going to commit to a commercial course.
Whatever you decide, happy flying.

EIDW_PILOT
26th Feb 2003, 10:17
Hi Aoife,

I have done about 10 hrs in one of the more well know flying schools in dublin, but decided to give up because i was tired at being messed around all the time. As well as that it was just too expensive. Instead I'm heading out to South Africa in May to do my PPL, it's much much cheaper!! total cost €3500, which is almost a 1/3 less than what you have to pay in this country. I have heard good reports about the school I'm going too, and the good thing is that you can fly in Ireland on a South Africa PPL, no conversion need on your return.
Good Luck with what ever you decide to do! :-)

soloboy
26th Feb 2003, 13:27
HI Aoife

i've sent u a personal msg

Cheers

Soloboy

piperindian
26th Feb 2003, 18:21
get your PPL with the yanks. much cheaper. 2000K should suffice.
An airplane flies the same everywhere in the world even if JAA bureaucrats decided otherwise. Yanks are much more general aviation friendly (changed post 9/11 ?) and there are no landing taxes, airports and carports everywhere.
forget about a career in Europe at the moment.

Tee
26th Feb 2003, 19:25
Have you had a look at the forums at www.irishaviation.net ?

Dozza2k
26th Feb 2003, 19:28
Hey,
like yourself i am a beginner, sure i've flown solo with the air cadets but when you consider the amount of hours you need to break into this business i am the same as you mate.

I am hoping to get a place on a course at the Royal Aero Club of Western Australia. Its everything up to fATPL i believe, spread over about 18 months. I looked at costs here in the UK, and then abroad and especially at this school in WA. The price difference is amazing. Almost shocking, but in a good way. Also the intoduction of a NAS in Aus may mean it gets cheaper (current flight international issue).
I don't know about visa requirements as i have dual nationality, so no help there :O .
But if you are not sure then perhaps a PPL in Ireland is a good idea followed by a career decision after that.
Hope this has helped a bit, PPrune always comes up trumps for me evry single time :D .
Dozza:cool:

aoife
26th Feb 2003, 21:08
Cripes! Thanks for the replies guys, I've taken it all 'on board' (hee hee!) and I'll consider those options. Good luck to you!