View Full Version : FLYER Professional Flight Training Show

Happy Landings
25th Feb 2003, 13:24
As advertised on the pprune website:-

The FLYER Professional Flight Training Show

Saturday April 12 2003
Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel
9.30 to 5.30

I went to this show in Nov 2001 and to be honest didn't get much from it other than what I already knew from flight schools own websites, and after travelling all the way to london I wasn't expecting to have to pay to get in! However, things have changed since then, ie the name because it was 'careers in aviation' but also the Seminar Program.

First up is a BA speaker from BA Flight Crew Reqruitment, is this a sign of good things to come????? At least BA still has a flight crew recruitment section!! - this must be a good sign surely?!?

Anyway I think I might go again this time if only for the excellent seminars, would be interested to know about other wannabes who have been to previous shows!!

andyg
25th Feb 2003, 13:51
Happy Landings-

I too was thinking about going to this, mainly for the seminars. I didn't read on the website about payment to get in. How much was it the last time you went?

buzzc152
25th Feb 2003, 14:22
I went to the one last november (??) I have to say that I too gained little from it. I thought it was aimed very much at those who are totally new to the world of aviation and don't know their CPL from their PPL. THe seminars were brief and covered only the basics which most will already have known.

For those who are just getting into the game then I'm certain it's a £15ish well spent.

rocafellascunk
25th Feb 2003, 15:09
I think it costs £8 in advance and £10 on the door

Scuzi
27th Feb 2003, 20:31
I shall be attending, just booked my flights over.
Is it really regurgitating the information that is available on the companies websites? I hope it is worthwhile, it's costing me enough to get over!

TubularBells
28th Feb 2003, 14:47
I’ve actually been to the last four of these!:eek:

For people who know nothing about flying training it's a great chance to meet some of the people involved in the industry and to talk to them, something which really can't be substituted by a web-site.

For those who have already been (such as me! :p ), then it is really more about the seminars. Each time I've met someone new there and had a chance to grill them on the ins and outs of what is going on (it's a show where pilots have taken the time out of their own schedules to help wannabes).

You get a view on the current industry climate from the professionals (plus you get a chance to meet and listen to Mr Fyne, the founder of this wonderful chat forum!).

It's also a good way to see if there are any new players or pricing changes in the training arena, which if you are choosing to go modular, is always a good thing.

Scuzi, it’s difficult to be able to comment on whether it’s worth you going or not (I live in London, so it's easy for me), I would suggest one visit and then decide or whether or not to go ever again! Perhaps you should fit in a trip to the London Eye etc on the way!

Finally, I would say that even if I was to come out with no new info, I’ve always come out of it with renewed enthusiasm for training, which is always good value!:D

Best regards,

TB.

PeterThePilot
1st Mar 2003, 05:02
I was considering going, as it seems like a wonderfull opportunity.

What would appropriate dress be? Would I need my shirt and tie?

TubularBells
1st Mar 2003, 09:22
Smart Casual is usually the order of the day, I wouldn't worry too much about wearing a Tie or a suit. Then again, each to his or her own!

cfb
8th Mar 2003, 12:21
Of course the show is good for any individuals right at the beginning - if only to make them aware of the real cost in effort, time and money to become a pro pilot.
However, if you are still needing flight training (CPL / ME / IR etc) then you should make the effort and go, and really get face to face with the FTO's and find out what makes their organisation different. Plan your questions in advance, and make sure you get behind the bullxxxx.
Too many students still complain bitterly about the FTO they chose to train with - after the event. Maybe attending this show with the real purpose of meeting the FTO principals and grilling them (not just picking up their glossy brochures) - before making your shortlist as to who to follow up and actually visit, and ultimately spend big money with is a good investment.