PDA

View Full Version : *Any RAFpilots*- Is the age limit at all flexible

Steven JC
18th Oct 2001, 01:25
The topic heading says it all. Do any of you know if the RAF intake age limit is flexible. I am 25 and have missed out - is this for definite given current crises/lack of qualified personnel applying?

Tonkenna
18th Oct 2001, 01:45
Hi Tom Ahawk

When I went through flying training there was a 27 year old on the course who had joined as a direct entry. That was in 1987, but, you can only ask. Sugest you get round to your local RAF Careers Office and ask. Thay can only say no. Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

Tonks :)

lagonda
18th Oct 2001, 02:34
In the past the answer has been no. (The voice of experience).

However, times and needs change and the most solid of government rules ad bodies flex at times - although it may be luck in being there at that time.

Go and ask - you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Good luck!

PS - I think that the age limit for Army aviation may be older - as a fall back if that is what you want to do.

[ 17 October 2001: Message edited by: Navig8r ]

RVR800
18th Oct 2001, 11:53
Tom Ahawk

Fly Navy (26)

and if you fail you could try the BE scheme -you're loaded right?!

Al Titude
18th Oct 2001, 18:46
The RAF age limit is pretty inflexible, although the Navy and AAC recruit pilots up to a later age. Despite the current situation, the RAF has never had a problem with numbers applying for jobs as aircrew.

As suggested already, your local careers office is the best route and will give you all the latest information. Good luck!

Steven JC
19th Oct 2001, 00:50
Hi Gents

I shall go down ASAP and report bacnk to the forum for the benefit of any 25+ budding fighter pilots.

If you don't shoot you will never score! I don't even play football so I probably don't represent that little moral very well.

Cheers

HalesAndPace
19th Oct 2001, 12:12
Concur with previous posts; RAF seems to be particularly inflexible about age, but RN/Army not so bad! Best of luck though.

King Kenny
19th Oct 2001, 14:06
When I inquired about RN recruitment age limits, you had to start training before your 25th birthday.

Good luck with your inquiry, and I would be very interested as to the result, being another 25 yr old.

Carew
20th Oct 2001, 11:24
With regard to your thread I have just dug out the conditions of entry for Pilot into the RAF.
before 24th birthday.
Qualifications: Min requirement is 5 GCSE/SCE
passes, including English Language and
Maths, plus 2-A levels/3Highers.
Qualified and professional entrants may
receive enhanced rank and pay.
Equivalent quals can be considered.
I hope this helps. On a more positive note somebody did post this year that they had been accepted after the deadline, but I believe this is the exception to the rule and it was only just after their 24th. Best of luck. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: null

WAIF-er
22nd Oct 2001, 02:42
for the navy, you have to be under 26 at time of course start. So if youre still 25, give em a ring asap! I am 26 tomorrow. When I phoned them about 3 weeks ago, they said the next course started AFTER my 26th birthday, so I was too old.

I will look at the army now.

Steven JC
23rd Oct 2001, 02:32
Affirmative- RAF age limits not open to debate. Probably take something major (like a war!) for them to reconsider I guess.

I have looked into the Navy and went to an informal interview. When the officer pointed at a picture of a carrier surrounded by nothing but water He asked me if I could stand 9 months on ship in the middle of the Gulf. I had to be honest to myself. I want to fly badly but not enough to radically change my whole lifestyle / way of living.

He also seemed to be actually discouraging me as soon as he found out I was engaged. Divorce rates are exceptionally high in the Navy. It's normally OK if you meet somebody when you're in as they must then accept it as part of you etc.. Anyway, I have a counsellor for that stuff ! Point being that I don't think the Navy would be for me in my circumstances.

Everyone is different however and I'm sure that it would be a very rewarding career for somebody in the right circumstances.

Cheers

Steven

flying Dr
25th Oct 2001, 18:17
I think youre stuck mate.
i spent two years in the University air squadron arguing with the RAF to let me do a year as a doctor after uni to get my full qualification, so that in the event i was ever chopped i could go back to it. i wanted to start IOT when i was 24 and 2 months old-( 2 months over the limit) and ultimately they wouldnt let me. However, i then agreed to do only half a year after uni, and they set my IOT entry date for 2wks after my 24th birthday. Moral being that the age limit is inflexible for you but inflexible for them.
I do recall however that if you were already in the RAF, the age limit was 25. Also the age limit for Navs was 26. In 1999, they were short of pilots and a whole lot of navs at initial officer training got told they were going over to OASC for pilot aptititude tests that day.i believe some number like 25 navs then became 24 pilots!
I think though if youre a civvie, youll have to forget it.
Note aswell that the age limit is 24 STARTING IOT and not elementary flying training and that being in the UAS and doing any flying training there will not be taken account of when trying to delay IOT entry.

Ultimately i ended up as a BA cadet. (I may be cabin crew in a year though! )

Al Titude
25th Oct 2001, 20:35
flying dr

I had loads of mates at IOT in 99 and am pretty sure that your 24 pilot x-over slots from 25 navs is a load of bollox! No offence but a typical rumour of the sort you find around the IOT anals!
Cheers

flying Dr
26th Oct 2001, 17:23
Altitude,

i may be 12 months out on the year, but as you were there and i wasnt, i stand corrected. Having said that i sure there was a number that transferred over, but 25 does i admit sound excessive.