PDA

View Full Version : Connecting Dissimilar Network Products

fobotcso
24th Feb 2003, 21:42
Are there any ideas out there about how to connect new Network products, that are almost all UTP/RJ45 based, with an established Ethernet/COAX/BNC Network?

I have this established COAX-based LAN built into the fabric of my building. Up to ten workstations can be connected to wall sockets using the usual "make before break" BNC connectors and it is an ideal way to connect a laptop or a desktop on the fly. No other boxes are required and no power supplies are necessary. This is just a "peer-to-peer" workgroup without a server.

Desktop "combo" NICs that incorporate a BNC connector are still commonly available, but they are getting harder to find for laptop PCMCIA NICs. And other peripherals are increasingly likely to be "LAN ready" using RJ45 cable.

Having gone to a lot of trouble building the COAX into the building, I'm anxious to avoid running new UTP cable all over the place.

So, what's the best way of interfacing a network product that has an RJ45 socket with a 10-base2 LAN using COAX?

ck4707
24th Feb 2003, 22:44
fobotcso

you could try a bnc to rj45 nedia converter. You would need one for each machine _ not cheap at about £16 each.

www.misco.co.uk (http://) sell them via mail order.

hope this helps

CK

ORAC
24th Feb 2003, 23:49
ck4707, I couldn't get your link to work.

Here's another (http://www.misco.co.uk/?sn=2084984203) link to Misco. I couldn't find the unit you refer to either, but here's one they do for £37.99:

DYNAMODE RJ45 - BNC MEDIA CONVERTER Link (http://www.misco.co.uk/shop/productinfo.asp?sku=41503&prod_id=DMOTT-T2&strPricebookCode=w&mits=UNHCFX72424J8PU62K6A1J4BAPVWCLQ2)
Misco No.: 41503

This 10Mbps RJ45 to BNC converter is a media converter that converts 10BaseT Ethernet UTP medium to the thin Ethernet coaxial medium, and vice versa. The 10Mbps RJ45 to BNC converter provides one UTP/STP port for connection to a UTP/STP cable segment. This media converter provides a low-cost and extremely easy to install solution to a mixed media environment.

It is especially useful in connecting a small departmental workgroup to main 10BaseT network.

General
Height 1.8 cm
Depth 8 cm
Width 4.4 cm
Enclosure Color Grey
Enclosure Type External
Device Type Repeater
Weight 85 g

Networking
Max Transfer Distance 185 m
Status Indicators Link activity, collision status, power
Data Link Protocol Ethernet
Connectivity Technology Cable - 10Base-T, 10Base-2 (coax)
Data Transfer Rate 10 Mbps
Compliant Standards IEEE 802.3-LAN

ck4707
25th Feb 2003, 09:16
ORAC

The one you quote is the one I was refering to (where did I get £16 from?????).

The link was miss typed - well it was after the pub had closed!!

CK

fobotcso
25th Feb 2003, 09:37
Thanks to you both, CK and ORAC. I had looked all over the place, honest, but not well enough obviously.

That is pricey at £38 odd per station but fits in with the usual cost of a simple bridge. I'll certainly follow your lead up.

RomeoTangoFoxtrotMike
25th Feb 2003, 10:54
If you have a number of systems in "roughly the same location", then it might work out cheaper per-port to by a mini-hub. You should still be able to find these with a BNC output and 4/8/16 UTP ports (don't have a link to hand.)

Mac the Knife
25th Feb 2003, 18:57
Fobs, as RTFM says "it might work out cheaper per-port to by a mini-hub. You should still be able to find these with a BNC output and 4/8/16 UTP ports".

I've got a 16 port one sitting in a cupboard doing nothing and it isn't likely to ever be used again (I converted to a 100mbps switch).

You're welcome to it if you want. E-mail me & we'll see if it's possible to get it from Cape Town to wherever you are.

fobotcso
28th Feb 2003, 20:07
Thanks for that generous offer Mac t K, but I've ordered a couple of these adapters to see how they go.

But I did open a can of worms with my query. The Misco link to the D-Link DE-855 didn't work or, to be more precise, took me eventually to the exact product but now marketed by Dynamode as the TT-T2. I've ordered two of these at £33.99 +VAT from Insight (ex Action). Other suppliers would charge up to £45 odd +VAT.

There is one other product made by Allied Telesyn at a similar price but an entirely different item.

That's it. These 10Base2 to UNC Media Converters are as rare as hen's teeth.

Thanks to tho others who contributed to this. My building has 12 connection points in 5 rooms on two levels. AEsthetics takes priority over saving a penny here and a penny there. I can have no exposed wires or trunking. So extended UTP to a hub can't be a contender. So these Media Converters are the best compromise. I'll try the Allied Telesyn items eventually and report back in case anyone is intrested.

Lost_luggage34
28th Feb 2003, 23:14
The Allied Telesyn devices should work fine - they've been in the Ethernet market with coax and TP for many, many years. Also, Action/Insight kit is always a winner - good support in the unlikely event of any problems.

Quite surprised you managed to find said devices ! Good Luck !

Trust you are not bridging (in the true sense) in the Network - remember the 5-4-3 rule if you are !