PDA

View Full Version : Problem landing a DIFFERENT aircratt - help!!!

bamboo
17th Oct 2001, 20:09
Help!

I've previously been flying for my PPL in a Cessna 150, with no problems. Now however, I've had to change schools and instructors, (I've moved area).

The aircraft that I now use is the PA-38, and I've developed a strange problem: - I CAN'T land it!! The problem is either flaring too early, ballooning, or drifting - can't seem to get the runway into perspective.
I can't understand this, because I've never had a problem with landing before, (after learning how), and now I'm not allowed to complete my solo time because of this problem

I'd be very grateful for anybody's help or input on this one, because it's driving me insane - the more I try, the WORSE I'm becoming
Thanks in advance

PS also posted this in Flyer Forum, but would love to get some advice here.

no sponsor
17th Oct 2001, 20:54
I learn't on a PA-38, and found it easy to land - eaiser than the Warrior.

The aircraft tail configuration may be the root of your problems, since it is out of the prop wash. Therefore, reducing power does not make a notable difference to the airflow of over the tail. This can often lead to ballooning etc. If you do balloon, hold it in the position, don't slam the nose back towards the deck.

Your other problem may be the underuse of rudder. I was very agressive with the rudder, keep the wings level, and just use rudder to get you on the centerline. Keep the thing in balance, and crab to the threshold. When I mean aggressive, I mean really take control.

So, when you know you'll make the runway, pull off all the power, keep the attitude in level flight, wings level - you will descend. Use rudder. Slowly bring the nose back 10 ft from the deck, and keep bringing it back until touchdown. If you balloon, hold the position, you will sink again.

Hope that helps.

crackerjack
17th Oct 2001, 21:15
Have you done any slow flight & stalling in the new a/c?

If you haven't, find a new instructor.

Ivan Ivanovich
18th Oct 2001, 01:54
I agree with Crackerjack (Crakerjack!)problems like this shouldn't be solved on the internet; your instructor, if he or she is worth their salt, should sort it for you.

There are dozens of rules of thumb for landing techniques, but they all differ slightly from aircraft to aircraf. Remember, you are trying to convert an aircraft in a nose down attitude at 70Kts to an aircraft in a nose up attitude at 50Kts. How you achieve this is determined by the conditions in which you find yourself each time you make an approach. If you raise the nose too early you will have excessive energy(speed)and probably fly away from the ground (balloon). Similarly if you are to vigorous with the control column you will achieve the same result. The idea is to always make sure you have sufficient elevator authority remaining to cushion that final sink to the ground. It is difficult to explain here, however try to understand what is happening to the aircraft during the approach, flare and touchdown phase and you will be able to cope with any aircraft and situation in which you find yourself. This is very much a task for your instructor.

Good Luck

Ivan

PA38
18th Oct 2001, 02:06
I also had trouble with the flare with the PA38 when I was learning, I know it will come as no comfort but it's like riding a bike one day.....one day you will think WHAT problem.
Practice, practice and practice...But don't give up (trust me!!) :cool:

angrycat
18th Oct 2001, 12:57
Look towards the end of the runway , not close to Aircraft. RELAX, and if you have spare capacity try to keep eyes moving from end of runway out to the side. Any you walk away from are good ones. It is usually a tiny problem that becomes the mountain. Dont Worry all been there. ;)

Whirlybird
18th Oct 2001, 14:31
I had the same problem in reverse - I learned on a PA38, moved to a different airfield and a C152 about a year after I got my PPL, and couldn't land it. What made it seem even worse was everyone told me the C152 was the easiest aircraft in the world to fly and it would land itself!!! :eek: :confused:

Eventually I managed landings, but recently I did a biannual check in a C152, and the instructor pointed out to me - after I'd nearly got us into a spin during a stall! - that I was still trying to fly it as though it was a PA38. She made the point that high and low wing aircraft are very different and that you fly them differently. No-one else had ever told me that; I thought it was just me having a problem.

So get a good instructor, and learn to fly the PA38. It's not a problem; it's just that you need to be TAUGHT what to do and it may take a bit of PRACTICE to get it right.