PDA

View Full Version : cathay cadet

qsp888
24th Feb 2003, 16:28
correct me if i'm wrong, is it true that local cathay pilots can easily get the sack?
what are the success rates of local pilots?

jtr
25th Feb 2003, 02:54
Any pilot at Cathay can "easily get the sack". 3 months pay and you are on your way, no explanation required, as history has shown.

The success rates of local pilots is quite high, and I would say on a par with expats. This may lead to a discussion of double standards, but I won't be the one starting it :}

shortly
25th Feb 2003, 08:24
jtr, what a racist little stirrer you are. There have been several 'local' pilots who sadly have fallen by the wayside over the years. Just as there have been several expat pilots likewise. Your ethnic origins won't help if you don't meet the required standards. But, the company is very generous in its provision of remedial training for all aircrew that might need it. For this thread we must differentiate between the 49ers and any others dismissed for whatever reason. Given that then, whilst the provision of 3 months notice, or payment in lieu, is applicable to both the company and the employees; it begs the question, what has the company to gain by summarily dismissing those whom it has invested great amounts of capital in training? There is always a good reason even if the folk involved won't 'fess up.

qsp888
25th Feb 2003, 15:42
what i want to know is after passing the one year flying exercises and become a second officer, are you pretty 'safe'? or you will be sacked for a bad report, or simply you don't fit in the picture?

jtr
25th Feb 2003, 19:35
qs, yes, once you are checked to line as a second officer, it is safe to say your position is as secure as the next chap. (secure being a lose term these days)

Shortly,what has the company to gain by summarily dismissing those whom it has invested great amounts of capital in training?

My guess is that it is a management level intimidatory tactic, just like kkken's threats over signing the AoA letter (which Nick doesn't think was a threat), just like the sickness management scheme, just like Cat B'ing guys for 'no particular reason', just like the sign or be fired letter, just like etc, etc

smallwing
25th Feb 2003, 22:47
According to the grapevine, some have been dismissed recently, one during probation end and the other while he was a JFO.

So there is not guarantee from my personal opinion.

Some people do see the job as a sit and relax occupation but the company is starting to crackdown on these slackers. If you can't hack it, you may be terminated.

Due to this as the termination, what is the required payout? Would it be one month pay as norm?

Cheers

BusyB
26th Feb 2003, 18:05
Shortly, I suppose the reason you discriminate between the cadets and the r49'ers is the same reason you discriminate in favour of the management cockups, (Richard Gear Pins + The UFO Doors for a start). Your credibility is starting to flag!!!

BlueEagle
26th Feb 2003, 20:47
BusyB - I can't say much on this subject as I am not within the hallowed halls of CX but aren't you being a bit harsh on Shortly?

Many on these forums, (yourself as well perhaps?), have stated that the 49ers departure was politically motivated. The possibility that some cadets/SOs have been terminated is surely far more likely to be because they have failed to perform?

Instead of just blasting Shortly maybe you would like to contribute to the debate and show your reasoning if you believe that the departure of the 49ers and the alleged departure of some cadets/SOs are somehow connected?

BlueEagle - Moderator.