View Full Version : FlyJet - Any one got a job yet?

facts please
24th Feb 2003, 15:03
A few topics about Flyjet but does anyone know of a pilot, engineer or member of cabin crew who has been offer a job yet?

No sign of the aircraft either, will it get off the ground??

From the web site all management positions are now filled or at least they aren't advertising them any more.

tailscrape
24th Feb 2003, 19:01
Facts please,

Went for interview.

Facts are:

F/O £36000
Capt £58000
Line Trainer £62000
TRI/TRE £66000

No leave this summer, only 8 days leave summer 2004. 28 days leave plus 8 days bank holiday.

Poor pension and no seniority list or annual pay increments. Flyjet are trying to be low cost and charter all in one.

Nice people, but I am afraid it did not make me want to leave my secure job. Hope they make a success of it for those interested though.

bigballs121
25th Feb 2003, 16:34
Bit on the light side!

Ella
25th Feb 2003, 21:31
I'm afraid that 58K will not tempt me to jump ship and leave my 70K command position with a major UK Charter operator.

Also the fact that once lease rates go up and cheap aircraft cease to exist then this airline will become uncompetitive. Of course that may take a while, but one day this airline will no longer be able to trade below the majors and that will see an end to it.

If you want a quick command and then seek a career in contract work (Cos' you won't get back onto a major again) then go for it, but otherwise stay well clear for a career.

Yet another opportunity to exploit the enthusiasm of wannabe's who oneday will wonder where all the 'good' employers have gone to? They will all have been made bankrupt by the efforts of 'fly by night' operations such as this.

:*

Firestorm
26th Feb 2003, 08:12
Got a PFO the other day. Don't know anyone who got a job.

B757RATED
26th Feb 2003, 08:26
Re the PFO don't forget that their are a lot of BA retirees (someone said 200 for this year) coming on the market.

Could explain why the salaries are on the low side?

Thunderball
26th Feb 2003, 23:46
Ella, if I had the odd hour or two to spare I'd construct a full rebuttal of your grossly misplaced and ill-founded remark about "fly by night" operators like the nascent "Flyjet". But I haven't.

Suffice, therefore, to say that you presumably favour a world in which there is only Tesco and Sainsbury's? No "delis", no convenience stores, no local markets? Niche operations, whether opportunistically inspired by low lease rates or not, airlines which are independent of the vertically-integrated players such as the organisation that presumably keeps you happy on £70k, do NOT have to be synonymous with poor pay, poor management and inevitable failure. Regeneration by new entrants is still a valid business process within this industry. And don't forget The Mighty can - and do - fall.

Messrs Hawkins and Dewey are good guys. Pilots like them - ask any pilot who'se flown in a company they've be involved in.:p

Ivan Taclue
27th Feb 2003, 08:44
Thunderball

Very well said!

I personally enjoy the young, energetic, start-up
operations. Usually good fun and often a nice lifestyle too.
I am prepared to accept a lower pay just for that!

Cheers :=

witchdoctor
27th Feb 2003, 10:25
Not sure exactly how many 'wannabees' will have a 757 rating with time on type, but if they recruit without it - well, I'd be happy with £58K. It sure beats the cr@p out of dole money;)

Multi-X
28th Feb 2003, 07:55
Many airlines start small. Shaun Dewey started Airworld with 2 summer only aircraft. Everyone said it would not last.

Airworld was bought by Thomas Cook UK who then bought Flying Colours & Caledonian becoming JMC & soon to be Thomas Cook Airlines.

Airline starts small & expand or merge. Reading some of the comments here one would beleive that they all start with a fleet of 30+ aircraft & high wages.

Konkordski
28th Feb 2003, 13:01
Just my opinion but if you're complaining about £58K in this world, when there are so many people working their fingers to the bone in far less glamorous professions, then you need a f**king slap to bring you back to reality.

JB007
28th Feb 2003, 21:35
Having worked for SD during Airworld and with Fly-jet's new Chief Pilot/Flight Ops Director, I would say this airline has one of the best management teams in the country....:ok:

citadel
28th Feb 2003, 23:34
.....JB007; who is the Chief Pilot and the rest of the management team? Have any non-757 type-rated pilots been employed? IMHO better to work for small professional outfit than big one with lots of Bulls**t....

B757RATED
9th Mar 2003, 16:19
Story I heard was that they have taken on six crews for the summer. All Skippers are BA retirees. Don't know about the Co Joe's.