PDA

View Full Version : Sierra Leone Airways

crewmeal
24th Feb 2003, 14:18
Have an interview coming up with the new airline - anyone know what its like to live out there - especally Freetown area? All comments greatfully received!!!

Gunship
25th Feb 2003, 21:40
Enigma you bailing out bru ? :D

Crewmail I (we) answered quite in detail enigma on the same topic here : http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80387

If I can be on the negative side ... sorry but I have been here long enough ...

Is it a SL set-up compnay with locals in charge ?

IF so - mate sorry SNA / SLA ... they have all started and failed due to pure greed, theft and corruption.

Sierra National Airlines (SNA) has been going very well (I think) with Monarch's aircraft and crws as I think Monarch do not take any sh1t from them.

f you need any more advice - more specific - ask I will be more regular online again !

Brgds and best wishes.

Gunnsss

manfromnorth
26th Feb 2003, 13:38
Been interviewed and was offered a job. When is your interview ? Capt or F/O ? Airbus or Boeing ?.

Cheers,

May see u there

crewmeal
26th Feb 2003, 16:18
Had a call from the agency the other day and will let me know in due course. The job is for cabin crew anyway!! I believe all the pilots positions have been taken for the airbus & 737.

Sounds a fun place to be in as described elsewhere in forum. Shame about the prices. Am still trying to work out if the airline will pay for your accomodation with in the new compound thats being built.

Is Sierra Leone a Muslim Country? Similar to Nigeria on culture?

UK gov advises that its still unsafe to visit there. (Me wonders when the info was last updated?

http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket%2FXcelerate%2FShowPage&c=Page&cid=1007029390590&a=KCountryAdvice&aid=1013618386406 (http://http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket%2FXcelerate%2FShowPage&c=Page&cid=1007029390590&a=KCountryAdvice&aid=1013618386406)

manfromnorth
26th Feb 2003, 17:02
I called the foreign ministry in my country and they advised there was no remarks on Sierra Leone. Certain places you were advised not to visit, but not different than any other place f.ex Johannesburg.

Cost of living would be in the area of 2-300 US$ pr month if company provided accomodation, transport etc which I was informed they would at the interview.

It is one of the most poor countries in the world, very beautifull beaches.

Apparently long lay-over's in London, Paris, Amsterdam (on the Airbus) with good pr diem.

Did they advise you of any startdate for operation ? Date of flying to Sierra Leone before operation commence ?

Cheers

Gunship
26th Feb 2003, 20:31
Crewmeal .. Freetown where you will spend 99% of your time (and Lungi) is 60% Christian and 40% Muslim.

In the Provinces vice versa ..

Christians and Muslims lives in harmoney together. In 4 years never heard of a problem.

Racial problems is with Nigerians - locals despise them. Lots stayed behind after ECOMOG / War days and runs taxi's / shops.

Lebanese outburst also now - and then but not too serious.

Lebanese "runs" the country ... although the President is "local" :D

Cst of living per person ... WRONG .. you will eat local food then . casava and rice ... I work on a budget $800 and make it just .. just .. ok Bert yes it includes Carlsberg ... :yuk:

So $600 to $800 ... Split busyour input ? You back yet ?

Cheers,

Gunsss

manfromnorth
26th Feb 2003, 21:46
600-800 US$ ok, assume u have company accommodation etc and the amount is for eat-drink only? guess i had some wrong info. Ok with Carlsberg, problably the best beer in the world.

How is the sports there, any tennis, golf etc or is it all fishing.

Cheers

finnman
27th Feb 2003, 09:05
interesting having done some work for sna in the past
is this a new carrier or sna renaming itself
sna were looking at operating a310 on the london route
would appreciate more details

The Claw
27th Feb 2003, 12:26
That UK Gov warning is current, can't say more unfortunately.

Guns please keep us posted as something is going on.

enigmajet
28th Feb 2003, 18:00
:cool: Hey Folks

Was interviewed and offered job also, as FO.
No start date or sim date yet, keeping fingers crossed.
Will be flying 737 am itching to get going.
looking forward to meeting some of you guys soon hopefully.
Anyone that has some more info on the company eg fleet and living arangments, would be greatly appreciated.:)

Keep the good side out.

manfromnorth
28th Feb 2003, 21:25
Was offered a position as Capt A310. My understanding was that it was a new National carrier (EcoAir) with 2 A310, 2 B737 and 2 copters. Startup (first flight) April 1st.
Accomodation should be very nice (nice compound) with 2 persons sharing 1 accomodation.
Flights to AMS-LHR and Paris, quite long lay-overs, 75US$ pr day in per diem.
The B737 crew should be advised of simulator soon followed by A310 crew. Position of crew to Sierra Leone sometime medio of March.
I hope this will work out, sounded exiting with a new start-up airline.
If anyone has more info, please advise

By the way, regarding the name EcoAir, don't really know if that is the name of the Airline:confused:

manfromnorth
1st Mar 2003, 09:00
Anyone who went for the interview, could you please tell something about it ? Did you go to london and what did they tell you, could be interesting to compare the info's.

enigmajet
1st Mar 2003, 10:43
:cool:

Hey manfromnorth

It does sound exciting, but I would be more excited if I had a sim date. I was told the same of start date ie April 1st.
Nice to hear they are going to have a 310, nice big gadget!
If I'm told more, will definatley post here.

Keep the good side out;)

manfromnorth
1st Mar 2003, 13:37
Hi Enigmajet

What kind of license do u have FAA, JAR ? I would think there would be oppertunities in Uk, easyjet or Ryan Air with your rating (if you have JAR FCL ATPL).

Cheers

enigmajet
1st Mar 2003, 14:34

Hey Manfromnorth

Have Jar Licence. But keeping the fingers crossed for this at the moment. If things dont materialise will check those guys out.
Cheers.
Hey Gunship if you are online, Have you noticed any new buildings
going up around your area ie new compound??
From what I understand from your posts I think you may be living around Freetown. Info greatly appreciated!!
Cheers Bru!:)

finnman
1st Mar 2003, 16:28
you say this will be the national airline
is sierra national not the national airline
they have been operating lgw/fna and bjl for the past two
years
will sierra leone airways be a sierra leone registered company
with sl aoc
sna saw off redair,is there enough business for two carriers
out of fna to lon.
it would be interesting to know who is funding this operation
or are sna renaming and re-equiping
i know gunship is regular traveller on sna after his short
transfer to redair custom when operating.
what does he have to say??

Gunship
2nd Mar 2003, 23:03
Sorry gentleman,

Gunns on his old day is getting busy .. tel line did not work and the lapdog went for a walk ... sorry will check more regular now and answer you immdediately.

Re the "compounds being errected" ... without being sarcastic .. there is roughly 300 to 500 new Big Houses in biggish compounds that is being built in the West of Freetown alone.:}

I have lived here 4 years and yes I do not think there is something that I do not know about, but must admit my friends are all in the travel agents / Airline business and I slapped them with a cold fish when I told them that SLA is opening up.

Guys soory call me negative (I actually am not at all ) but please do not resign out of a more steady job - if you could - I have just seen to many failures here.

As Finnman says .. Red Air / Africa One was the last b&stards to leave me with an unused return ticket in my pocket.

I have spoken to Monarch guys (SNA aircraft operators), the SN Brussles guys and the security guys that actually count the pax - the aircraft which was completely overbooked over XMass is running at between 50 and 60% capacity.

I AM NOT in the Airline business - so I am not trying to shaft you before you arrive - just there to help.

I see you guys are very eager and I really "feel" for you but please e-mail me who is in management or more details as I have seen to many damn 419 operators here and especially after hearing the seats are not full anymore (after Xmass drop).

I hope I sound realistic and not an like and a55. I will check my mail also from now on ;)

Cheers and good luck.

Gunns

Africanhope
3rd Mar 2003, 08:32
Guy's, talked with a buddy of mine and he gave me these info.
This new airline is named "EcoAir"- It is a private airline with goverment and private investors - startup March,April (May,June?) - Airbus 310 and Boeing 737 - They have been hiring through a UK company called Wynnwith - Chief pilot or Head of Ops is a man called Capt Pakkas or Pappas !

Another fluke or ?

Gunship
3rd Mar 2003, 09:47
Morning guys,

This is what SL CAA knows about SLA.

The only thing they have is that an aircraft named "Skytruck" are coming from Poland ? and that the CAA part here are going soon to inspect the aircraft in Poland. There is a rich guy involved that set this up called "Mr. Onu" - sorry tel message ....

Nothing yet under ECO Air.

Re the Security THE CLAW ... the Poms and Americans "play" these games regularly. Things are very steady here and personally I think sometimes they are trying to scratch things up - sorry personal feelings. 300 Gurka's arrived to "strenghten" Liberia border on behalf of 12 000 SLA soldiers and 21 000 UN troops ... politics ared irty my friend ... the Superpowers play the dirty game ... in the mena time 100's of Chinks re- creates our Defence HQ here ... :(

Liberia next dear .. well it needs a NUKE :}

Hope it helps in the mean time ...

Cheers

Gunnss

crewmeal
3rd Mar 2003, 15:03
Does anyone know if UK mobiles will work in SL? Do they have their own network that is compatable with a UK one. So far Orange say they dont, Vodaphone dont't know!! T-Mobile dont know and BT (O2) are working on it!!!

Shall I get my present nokia unlocked just in case???

The Claw
3rd Mar 2003, 17:23
Thanks Guns, sorry to say, more on the way!:eek:

Gunship
3rd Mar 2003, 21:04
Mobiles: 2 Networks presently ... and third the Gov / national "might" open soon.

Celtel by far the best. Presently coverage in the WHOLE of Freetown, down the Southern beaches half way and Lungi.

Just watched the *&^% cricket with the MD. :(

Bo en Kenema operational (2 largest Towns after Freetown). Kono and Makeni (diamond areas) end of March - Mid April. Southern Beaches to River # 2 (most popular place ) end of March it will be Operational.

Faxing and DATA started last Friday.

Calls $1.20 per minuteto the UK, but end March they will have their own gateway and call rates will drop a lot and International SMS will become a reality (eventually).

The other Network : Millicom is just ops in Freetown and Lungi.

NO - I say NO UK mobiles work here - open you mobile there - here they charge $50 up depending what type.

Little to NO Sport at school level - rather go for the NO part ;)

Golf course ok in Rainy season (green grass and oil / sand greens) - very picturistic - 100 m from the beach.

At the Golf club - 2 squash courts and another two / three in Freetown. 2 Tennis courts at Golf Club. Average condition
(playable). Remeber we come out of a 12 year civil war.

2 Nice swiming Pools at the 2 Hotels - especially the Buntemani (completely re-build by Chinks) has a beautiful pool. Pay about $3 if you have a white a55. ;) If you are local - not allowed - reverse apartheid ...

The Claw ? More ???

Cheers and brgds

Gunnss http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/aircraft/3flypigs.gif

PS: I need a few cases of CARLSBERG for these typing lessons :D

finnman
4th Mar 2003, 06:27
just found a web site re eco air
5% stakes held by
nigeria airways
ghana airways
air afrique
air guinea
liberian airways
60% held by private investors( if they get to that)
rest held by governments

eco air comes out of ecowas states

still dont understand how come in the village of freetown
nobody knows anything about it
it is difficult to hold a secret in fna

Africanhope
4th Mar 2003, 08:16
Hi Finnman

could u post the web address for the eco air inf !

Gunship
4th Mar 2003, 10:35
Guys,

I have made this thread with a little devil icon. Call it devil's prophet ... or whatever.

If I have a look at the "investors" I will not work for the airline unless that 60% "private investors" is a company called BA or whatever. Someby stable that has FULL control of the daily running and decision making process.

I do not need to go into details about Nigeria, Ghana, Air Afrique, and Liberian Airways. Air Guinea is the only one still flying. Unsure about Nigeria Airways. The rest of them is all bankcrupt and was drained from tp to bottomn by GREEDY, a55holes called politicians and their partners in crime who was put in charge of these airlines.

I have first hand experience what happened with Ghana Airways and SNA (Sierra National Airways). What these guys do : They get a company like Monarch to invest their aircraft under their name. They wil operate and operate and then eventually there starts a back log in payment and it get's bigger and bigger and the next moment Monarch for instance will stop flying for them. Monarch will pull out and that will be that - courtcases and stuff.

In the mean time - SNA will just approach another company ... you getting the drift ?

If they do start with their own aircraft / own crews like Ghana Airways you guys are guaranteed a longer job prospect as the Gov / company should keep on bailing them out untill they can not go anyfurther (ie Ghana Airways and Air Afrique).

Yes, I am negative - but I will be the first one to congraulate the company on making money and NOT STEALING it like the ALL the previous airlines that is under Gov control has done.

The longest serving Airlines in the area are both PRIVATELY owned - West Coast Airlines and Paramount Airlines .. small .. efficient and surely making money as NO politicians have their filthy dirty hands in their Airlines. http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/mica/Miscgopher.gif

I will open a thread about ECO AIR.

PS: I am actually a very positive person - but I would hate to see you coming and going and you said : WHY DID YOU NOT TELL US Gunsss :}

Gunship
4th Mar 2003, 10:48
I spoke to a local guy that knows the inside of SL 's CAA.

ECO AIR has asked for an AOC (Airline Operators Certificate) but not officially yet - just an enquiry. And obvioulsy one was not issued yet (as of today 's date)

Here is the link and short message on the web that I could find about them : dd 3 April 2000 ..

Air Afrique a du plomb dans l'aile... ...et du souci à se faire !

BAMAKO, April 3 (Reuters) - The member states of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) plan to create a regional airline in the near future, a senior official said.

The new company would be called Eco Air, ECOWAS Executive Secretary Lassana Kouyate told Reuters on Sunday after meeting Malian President Alpha Oumar Konare, the current president of the economic bloc.

News of the new airline follows Mali's decision, announced last week, to break up Air Mali's monopoly on domestic flights, which the country's civil aviation authority (DNAC) said would allow any airline to fly domestic routes in Mali provided they could meet operating standards. [...]

[...] Many of the countries in ECOWAS hold stakes in Air Afrique. It was not immediately clear what impact the planned airline would have on the Francophone multinational carrier.{ PS: In the mean time they have been bailed out more than once and was finally closed down a few months ago as far as I know } http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/aircraft/Plane1.gif

publié par Antoine H. 18:59

http://www.radiocockpit.com/2000_04_02_arc.htm

Gunship
4th Mar 2003, 13:46
Thanks Guns, sorry to say, more on the way!

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/new/dan.gif ???

Explain pse Claw ?

Gunship
5th Mar 2003, 06:34
On the UK Gov's web site their is a travel warning : "We advise against all non-essential travel to Sierra Leone."

I e-mailed the British High Commission and here is the answer back from the British High Commisioner, Mr Alan Jones.

" Thank you for your e mail. Travel Advice is reviewed on a regular basis by me personally. We take advice to the communities for whom we have consular responsibility very seriosly indeed.
I beleive the advice against non essential travel remains perfectly valid. It is also closely in line with advice given to the US community by their Embassy, with whom we liaise closely.

You are aware of recent events in Freetown including the raid on Wellington Barracks, treason charges against 7 individuals, border incursions and the ongoing work of the Special Court. All of these events lead me to beleive caution still needs to be exercised and that the travel advice remains valid
Regards
Alan Jones "

Africanhope
5th Mar 2003, 08:18
Hi Gunship

How long would it take for Eco Air to get an AOC if they officially applied ??:confused:

Gunship
5th Mar 2003, 11:58
How long would it take for Eco Air to get an AOC if they officially applied ??

Lo AH,

Ok officially Nothing of ECO - AIR as of today but ... ECO - Travel applied for an AOC and received it - quite a while ago.

Just this week ECO - AIR asked that ECO - TRAVEL AOC must be changed to ECO - AIR. This was refused.

But do not dispear ... a few dollar bills between the sheets of papers sorts these paperwork out very quickly ! http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung/engel/angel-smiley-027.gif

ENIGMA ? CREWMEAL ... r u there guys ? http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung/engel/angel-smiley-007.gif

Africanhope
5th Mar 2003, 21:27
Sounds like EcoAir or what ever it's called is starting up (soon)??:confused:

Anyone offered a job there yet

Gunship
6th Mar 2003, 09:04
Lo AH,

It seems more and more that ECO - AIR / ECO - Travel and SLA is all the same thing ?

Enigma :confused: Crewmeal :confused:

They should know - they where interviewed. Sounds like a nice op - as long as they stay out of the Gov's claws.

Africanhope
6th Mar 2003, 11:38
Crewmeal and Enigma, any news from the "New" company or is silence since interview the only sound:confused:

rentaghost
6th Mar 2003, 17:00
Where's the $20+ million investment for the A310 going to come from?

enigmajet
7th Mar 2003, 15:17

Hey Folks

Sorry to say I havent much news on the operations side of things.
i.e. who's behind them or how much money they have, or need to be invested. I'm practically geting all my info from this thread!
Sorry. But its good to see some people out there know whats going on! :)

Keep the good side out.

Africanhope
10th Mar 2003, 01:32
Talked with a few guys who was promised the contract on Airbus with Eco Air but they have had no Feed-back at all other than LATER THIS MONTH ??? for simulator etc ???
They advised that if you have any other job lined up, go for that because it maybe another african scam (promise is cheap) full of corruption as usual and bla. bla bla Just a mather of time before that will go down the drain (as usual).
They off course would hope the best, but the communication between the "new" airline and (hopefull) crew is nil !!!
Anyone who has better info than this (nothing) is welcome !!

crewmeal
10th Mar 2003, 06:56
From what I know things will start moving this month. It is anticipated that the 737 flying programme will commence towards the end of april to various destinations in West Africa. The Airbus programme will follow after that. LGW & ORY look favourites to start with. Other destinations to follow.

I think in all fairness to Eco Air they should be given a chance to get things going. Like everything in aviation speculation is always rife and I'm sure when there is something to say then those at the top will let everyone know. I believe that the Company have been let down badly by simulator timings - hence further delays in training.

Cabin Crew recruitment will be commencing shortly to tie in with the operation.

Lets leave the legal boys to cross the 'T's and dot the 'i's

digna
13th Mar 2003, 20:38
nice to hear all those comments offerd a job with them recently I am waiting for my intervew with my fingers crossed looking 4ward to see all of you guys . will appriciate it if you can help wiz this is there any chance to bring a family there ? my job is CSD

crewmeal
13th Mar 2003, 22:31
This is having the final touches put to it as I type. Can't say whether it will be suitable for 'family' occupation at this stage, but I guess it will be on a shared basis anyway.

The 737 operation will commence by the end of april and the 310 will be phased in by June.

Cabin Crew interviews will start next week and training during the first part of april. Final Crew training will commence when the aircraft arrives.

Some interesting times ahead me thinks!!

any questions fire ahead at

[email protected]

homesick rae
19th Mar 2003, 18:34
As far as Cabin Crew are concerned:"not interviewing for a few weeks yet!"

$30-$40 per diem for cabin crew.

Any more info?

crewmeal
22nd Mar 2003, 07:01
Wrong homesick - Cabin Crew Management is now in place and working away at training courses.

Main Cabin Crew interviews will hopefully commence at the end of the month, followed by immediate training. These Crews will be selected from experienced people. They will also be salaried and allowances paid accordingly

Further interviewing will take place through Wynnwith during April/May so there are enough crews ready intime for the A310 operation.

[email protected]

if you need anymore info please email me

Bye for now!!

homesick rae
22nd Mar 2003, 14:09
crewmeal...this is from a conversation with wynnwith...therefore i am not wrong...don't shoot the messenger!

Africanhope
23rd Mar 2003, 09:56
Has anyone got ACTUAL CONFIRMED DATES from company for starting the ops ??

crewmeal
24th Mar 2003, 07:58
Hopefully the 737 operation will commence April 27th SL's independance day.

homesick rae
25th Mar 2003, 14:30
No interview dates confirmed as yet.

Keep the info coming please!
Crewmeal you seem well informed! Thanks for the updates!

Africanhope
29th Mar 2003, 15:56
Sounds good with start up in April, but again. Has anybody actually SIGNED a contract and got some FIRM - CONFIRMED info.

Ciao

Gunship
31st Mar 2003, 20:27
Well after a bit of negativity re the amounts of pax on SNA and SN Brussels I am glad to tell you the seat occupancy rates has increased from a 50 to max 60% last week to FULL this week.

Most probably Easter has to do with it ?

rentaghost
1st Apr 2003, 23:46
SNA flights from / to LGW were NOT full!

Gunship
2nd Apr 2003, 22:07
Rentaghost ... I pressume you sit in the front of the Monarch plane.http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/smildeck.gif

Sad news as we had to leave an urgent pax there as the local SNA ticket offices said : " Sorry FULLY BOOKED"

For interest sake (and to ^%$ up the travel agent) how many pax was on the flight Rentaghost ?

Cheers,

Gunns

PS: Nightstop for a change - the beers are very cold this time of the year :) and you are invited

---
4th Apr 2003, 22:59
The company are experiencing delays regarding the A310 and B737 purchase.
it will takes approximately 3 or 4 weeks......:eek:

Gunship
5th Apr 2003, 07:07
Now if I have ever seen a good logger name / username _ _ _ !

Well done you are hiding mate :)

Heard tonight ECO AIR is still trying to start up on SL Independance day ... will try and get the latest "gaf" on Monday...

Africanhope
15th Apr 2003, 15:47
Again, are there any crews who have actually signed a contract, got a confirmed date of operation other than "sorry, we are delaying again" ???

crewmeal
16th Apr 2003, 18:12
I know that the negociations with the brokers concerning the A310 & B737 are almost completed. When that is all sorted then the offers will go out in writing and the key people will be in position.

The compound has been completed and is ready for occupation.

Wish I could say more, but I am short on info as well. Keep hanging on in there!!

Africanhope
17th Apr 2003, 15:50
Crewmeal, you seem to have some kind of information regarding accomodation and B737/A310. Where/who did you get those info from ??

homesick rae
17th Apr 2003, 23:13
Crewmeal...notice that the CC training positions were advertised until VERY recently, yet the agency told me they had gone about 3 weeks ago!

All I will say to the start up is Inshalla!

Good luck!

crewmeal
18th Apr 2003, 02:56
homesick - recruitment is on hold until the aircraft details are finalised. No point in promising positions until a timetable is put in place.

Africanhope - I work for the Company and am in regular contact with whats going on.

Any more comments and queries I will only be to glad to answer.

Africanhope
18th Apr 2003, 04:34
Crewmeal

Regular contact with whom ? Winworth who handles the contract or Capt Pappas who is supposed to be the head of operation ? And what have they actually informed you regarding the operation ?

Regards

Crewmeal

You work already for the company ? What is your position ? Are you paid for your job or being promised pay ? If you work for the company you would (should) have more info (firm)??

Regards

Crewmeal

You are working (as you mentioned) for "Eco Air" ? Is it with Winworth (Julia) or direct with Eco Air (Capt Pappas) ?

Regards

Thunderball
18th Apr 2003, 19:56
Good to see that the empowering concept of healthy anonymity is alive and well in this forum!:D

crewmeal
20th Apr 2003, 00:27
Africanhope - as this is a forum I will not be mentioning names or positions that people have got in the Company.

Suffice to say that the hic-cups have been down to finding the right aircraft without being shafted by some of the brokers that are around. Believe me for the same type of aircraft the quotes, terms and contracts vary considerably. Also some of the 737's that have been seen have been below standard and not what we are looking for.

If you really need to know whose who of the Company at this stage call Wynnwith. I am not at liberty to reveal who has what job on this forum. I am trying to give a positive update on what's happening regarding the start up. I'll continue to update when I get more positive news.

Africanhope
20th Apr 2003, 17:38
Crewmeal

Appreciate that you try to come with positive news.

Regarding brokers, you are problably correct in that some are worse than others, could be though that the brokers want to see some cash on the table before leasing out the aircraft's considering previous history of this area !!

About who (mention of names) is arranging the upstart of this new airline, I can't see that is a problem, it is a straight forward question ! This is not a CIA or FBI operation :cool:

Regards

Gunship
20th Apr 2003, 18:02
SNA was NOT full

What about an answer mate ?

Crewmeal et al

Latest from here : No ECO Air - No Operations on / before SL Independance Day (next week) - things this side sounds very quite ... very ...

Send me the details of the "finished compound" and I will send you details and pics if close to me.

PS: There are about a 100 "finished compounds" so as close as possible.

Anything else I can assist?

Weather : best of the year now. Very hot but clear days - Harmattan is basically gone. We had one storm on Monday (first of the season) and BEER is ICE Cold (as ever) ;)

Africanhope
21st Apr 2003, 03:46
Crewmeal and Gunship

Are you going to share the info regarding "finished accomodation" here ?
:hmm:

Regards

Gunship
21st Apr 2003, 03:58
... I had it I would have given it to you baby .... sorry song playing in the background :suspect:

crewmeal
21st Apr 2003, 20:21
Gunship - not too sure where the location is but suspect its the old Swiss complex that has been done up. Hopefully will be able to come out and have a reccky sooner rather than later.

Fraid the boat has been missed regarding 27th April. Am still waiting for more news but am busy working from home.

Africanhope - Nope no names til I get the ok from those concerned.

To be honest I feel its a case of 'when' - not 'if' as to when it all happens.

enigmajet
23rd Apr 2003, 17:53

Hello folks.

Have been told that the company is still waiting for the correct a/c.
And the delays will continue until the correct craft is found.
I have not been given a time scale which is very frustrating.
Has anyone got more definate news or updates?

BTW. Gunship

Did you get a chance to get a few pic's of the compound that Crewmeal was talking about?
If you can it would be greatly appreciated. And when we get down there, I'll bring some carlsberg for ya.

Gunship
23rd Apr 2003, 19:46
Ok boys and girls looks like you will have wings soon ....

I must phone my contact in an hour and he will give me FULL details but he definately said they are inspecting the aircraft soon ...

Re the "OLD SWISS COMPLEX" .. there are many , many old complexes so I phoned my very dear friend the Swiss consolute. He also ows a lot of properties here and he knew nothing about it. So a bit more info and I can take 100 pics for you guys but I need more info. :{

So in an hour or two I might come up with some better news ... what I could hear was good anyway ! :ok:

Cheers and brgds,

Gunnss

PS: I drink crates of those stuff called Carlsberg :}

and PS: I fly out Fri night for 2 weeks back to SA so make it snappy boys .. :E

rentaghost
24th Apr 2003, 01:15
Can anyone please confirm...

1. This is a NEW 'start-up' operation?
2. It is not linked with Sierra National Airlines / SNA?
3. What the actual routes are that they are planning to fly?

Thanks.

crewmeal
24th Apr 2003, 16:57
Guns - as far as i am aware its a Swiss engineering complex set in 28 acres with 2 - 3 swimming pools. Thats all the info I have apart from its nearly ready

Gunship
24th Apr 2003, 19:47
Ok guys ... more good news.

ECO Air's AOC was approved.
They also have ECO Travel and ECO Marine under their controle.
Main investor is the Harding's .. not the Minister it was clearly told to me ... :suspect:

They are sending up a team to the UK to inspect 2 x B737's.
Rumour has it from "FAST AEROSPACE" :confused:

Latest : start - up date .. June 03.

I hope the best for you guys but look at my other thread re the SNA / Monarch rumour !

Never heard of a 28 Acre Swiss Complex / Compound like this guys ... my Swiss friend is not available now but I have phoned friend and foe and nobody knows about it. PM me an address please - I will help where I can but I am at the end of the road with that one ;)

Where the Swiss consulate lives is a 4 Acre complex with 3/4 houses and ONE Pool ! :8

Will keep you updated as I leave on SNA tomorrow night.

Cheers

Gunnsss ..

Gunship
25th Apr 2003, 20:07
Sorry boys and girls - can not wait any longer. I have a suitcase to pack, beers to drink and board my flight to UK - then SA.

The Swiss dos not know about the Swiss compound?

The rest sounds all good.

I will be back in 2 weeks (but will follow the thread) and if you have more info - will take the pics for you guys and get all the info.

Best regards,

Gunns

PS: My number in UK on Sat / Sunday +44 77 32 84 77 51 and / or +44 780 360 9221

Cheers .... hik ..

enigmajet
27th Apr 2003, 07:00

Hey gunns.
Hope you enjoy the two week break.

Crewmeal:

Is there any chance that you have any more information about start dates or any other information relating to the start up of Ecoair. Or at least info that you can share with the rest of us?
Best regards.

crewmeal
27th Apr 2003, 19:03
enigma - nope I have no more news - friad I do not know anymore than guns has posted atm.

As soon as I hear anything I will post asap!!

Still remaining confident though

digna
28th Apr 2003, 18:20
crewmeal thanks for the updates we are so hungry for news that we can eat any thing .thanks once more gunns looking forward to try the beer there but tell me guys is it time to think of the intervews what kind of people they are looking for? and are they planing a well recognized airline that will gain the customer and keep them for long or is it just another carrier that give you a seat and a meal thanks again and bless you both.

Africanhope
2nd May 2003, 05:39
Is no news good news ?????

digna
2nd May 2003, 07:08
better than some !!!!!!

crewmeal
2nd May 2003, 17:05
As I see it - a lot of cash has been invested so far. Rather than rush into things like a bull at a gate, let the money be spent wisely instead of loosing like some carriers do.

The main obstickle is out of the way and that's gaining the AOC. Lets all be patient and hope there is some news soon

If anyone wants to message me about anything please feel free to do so.

---
11th May 2003, 01:05
no news= bad news?:(

Gunship
11th May 2003, 12:51
I had a mail from my friend in SL.

He said all is still online. Apparantly the "Harding" boss / investor is right now in Europe busy with the acceptance checks on the aircraft.

Sorry delayed in SA .. should be back in SL by next weekend and can inform you guys better then.

Good luck and best wishes .. :ok:

homesick rae
11th May 2003, 14:15
ta for update sir!!:D

Africanhope
11th May 2003, 18:34
Heard they are searching for a/c but get denied because they don't put the money up front (want credit) but no one in their right mind would lease a/c to that part of the world only with promises of payment ?

Gunship
12th May 2003, 05:28
Africanhope that is sad news indeed.

When I left it seems like that was the last thing on their worry list.

But if you can remember I had my doubts to why they want to lease it straight instead of going through a deal that (for instance) SNA and the Egyptians (previously Monarch did) ? A package deal ...?

I personally think to have your "own" Aircraft on start up and to manage crew / pax / freight / and all the rest is a big tester if you are a small start - up airline ... or what you guys think ? :*

Africanhope
17th May 2003, 05:32
Suddenly it went very quit here ?

Gunship
17th May 2003, 09:37
Very quite indeed African Hope.

Maybe Crewmeal is already practising circiuts and bumps ;)

If all goes well with KLM to Amsterdam - London on Sunday evening from Cape Town and then SNA / Egyptians Monday from London to Freetown I should give you guys all the insider news on Monday night / Tuesday morning.

Cheers and best wishes for a scam - free Africa Airline :ok:

crewmeal
20th May 2003, 16:47
Sorry guys - have been away on my travels so am waiting for more news myself.

It does seem that the bottom line is cash, and and when it comes everyone will want a bite of the cherry!

Have been assured the cash is on its way and when it does guess things will start to move pretty quickly

enigmajet
20th May 2003, 17:09

Crewmael: Is there any news on aircraft?? Why has all the money dried up so early on in the start up phase, surely some genious has budgeted for slight hickups.
I usually have an optimistic outlook on things but that optimism is starting to fade rapidly with each month that passes!!
realistically is this opp still on the cards? O ris it dead in the water:zzz:

Regards Enigmajet.

crewmeal
21st May 2003, 16:46
enigma - appreciate your concerns and I am in the same boat - still waiting for news. But still feel pretty confident about it all as do Wynnwith the agency. Itsa matter of 'when' and not 'if'

Maybe guns has more info as he is on the doorstep!!

Africanhope
25th May 2003, 23:37
Enigmajet and Crewmeal, are you Flight Crew or Cabin Crew ?? I ask because i know that an african operation is starting up within the next couple of weeks. I in fact have the details for this operation.

enigmajet
27th May 2003, 08:05

Well my good man dont be shy!! Are you willing to spill the beans?

BTW: I am flight crew.

---
27th May 2003, 20:26
in AFRICAN HOPE we trust:D

Gunship
28th May 2003, 06:14
Promise you guys feedback tomorrow .. my contact came back from a trip to Guinea tonight.

Hope it is good news ... :ok:

Africanhope
28th May 2003, 14:53
It is a A310 wetlease, so for the hopefull Flight Deck Crew, sorry. Cabin Crew ? Will know during the week ?

Will post more details shortly when I am sure they are correct. But for the wetlease, that is a fact.

Gunship
28th May 2003, 18:37
According to my contact the A310 wet lease is correct AND two x 737's.

He will be at DCA mid - day and give full feedback.

Going for luch with him and give you guys feedback afterwards. No drinking (Muslim) so will give sober feedback after lunch .. :E

homesick rae
28th May 2003, 22:02
Anyone know what Wynnwith are saying about it? Crewmeal, can you shed any light from our side of the cockpit door?

enigmajet
28th May 2003, 22:44

Gunship

Hope lunch was good!
Are the 737's a wet lease deal as well according to your sources,or is it just the A310??
Appreciate the updates thanks a lot.
:ok:

African hope

I have heard nothing from Wynnwith in a long long time!
I dont know if they read this or not but an occasional phone call wouldnt go astray. I take it that you are Cabin Crew, I'm afraid that I have no news on that front. Or on the flight deck front for that matter.
Still trying to keep the good side out!!:bored:

Africanhope
29th May 2003, 01:59
I am flight deck crew.

Regarding the B737 I have no info !

As it is a wetlease Wynnwith (A310) they will have no say in that matter but maybe for the Cabin crew/flight deck B737 depending what kind of contract it is ?

Gunship
29th May 2003, 04:39
Sorry ... lunch was F A N T A S T IC .. sorry no news .. he did not go to DCA .. only tomorrow.

Feedback coming .. vasbyt ... ;)

---
31st May 2003, 01:25
Wynnwith is not interrested any more in this projet :\

Gunship
31st May 2003, 02:33
Sorry guys .. I also do not have much other that they are still trying ... sorry my contact is really "high - up" and he is running into closed doors which is not good news I am afraid ... :mad:

Good news normally goes with Fanfare here ! :E

Gunship
31st May 2003, 17:08
I hope I have a bit of better news today ...

"Bumped" into a guy last night over a few pints.

He mentioned that "all is on track" .. he mentioned the A310 but he spoke a lot about two 737's coming from America via the UK for inspection.

Hopefully Monday less speculation and something very positive for you guys !

Cheers

Gunsss ...

Africanhope
2nd Jun 2003, 02:51
Seemed that the A310 deal was on track and signed, but suddenly the company had no cash. Deal off again. Know for certain in a weeks time.

Africanhope
5th Jun 2003, 15:49
Winnwyth out of the deal now. Interesting to see what happens now ??

enigmajet
6th Jun 2003, 00:51

Hey Folks.

Has anybody heard anything back from capt Pappas yet??
Does anyone know anything about the 200's??

Crewmeal do you have any updates. Or is it still all quite on the western front!!.

crewmeal
6th Jun 2003, 21:47
Have been out of the UK for the past 2 weeks so wıll get down to busıness on monday. So far I have left messages for people at ECO to call me but nothıng yet. That was 2 weeks ago.

As far as I am aware Wynnwıth have put the project on hold untıl such tımes as ECO decıde what they are doıng.

AQs promısed I wıll let the forum know (good or bad news) when I get ıt. Belıeve me I am just a mushroom as well!!!

Africanhope
6th Jun 2003, 23:04
The news is that there "maybe" be some news in a few weeks time ?

Hope the best but fear the worst !

Gunship
6th Jun 2003, 23:14
Sorry guys - after I saw the post I phoned all my contacts - not ONE answers (Fri Muslim Prayer day) and 5h1t next door In Liberia has everyone on the hind legs !

I will see my contact over a dop tonight or somewhere over rugby tomorrow !

B O K K E ! ! !

Gunship
14th Jun 2003, 06:21
Latest .. I was there again this morning ... sorry guys there are not much hope now.

The one guy said .. ECO Air ... eischh (that is a Efikan form of saying ... sorry man but not going to be .. sorry)

Sad - really "feel" for you guys that has been held - up by these guys !

Maybe their 737's work out ?

Cheers and brgds,

Gunns

Africanhope
18th Jun 2003, 07:02
Believe this chapter is closed now !

Gunship
18th Jun 2003, 07:06
NO !!! Do not give up ...

this is Africa bru ...

you never know when a plan comes together. I will go and visit again on Thursday. Fridays I have seen is useless (and it costs me money) as the question get's asked ... where is our Friday .. where is our Weekend ...

White = Money (so is the though here anyway)

Will still do my best to keep you guys updated !

Cheers,

Gunsss

Pervy Pilot
28th Jun 2003, 20:00
I hear through the african aviation grapevine that Mr olu harding has done the disappearing trick owing thousands to employees, lawyers agencies etc. i also hear that he has had his ship impounded due to unpaid 'fees'.

So what of the airline now? was this all a big hoax to get people interested? Pilots conned in to sim rides at their own expense? Building up hopes of a career?

Mr harding certainly hasn't inspired any confidences in african aviation.

So will there ever be an airline to serve the people of SL or is it a pipe dream?

Comments please..........on a post card

Gunship
29th Jun 2003, 13:00
To answer one of your questions.

Yes, Sierra Leone can definately do with another flight / airline.

I booked on an SNA flight 3 weeks ago and bought the last ticket.

Friday's flight was 20% over - booked. Monday with SNA is full. So I can just expect that SN Brussels should be the same.

Harding ... that is the name I mentioned quite a while back but he has NO relation to Prince Harding the Transport Minister :p !!! Or so they say but we know .... :E

Yip a big shame if it does not come off. :ouch:

clipboard
2nd Jul 2003, 18:28
Guns my man, seeing that you are right there in the hub of it all, are you aware of the fact Sierra National Airlines has begun operating a wet-leased Airbus A310-304 from Egypt's Midwest Airlines on its London - Freetown scheduled service?

This replaces the agreement with Monarch Airlines which had been operating the service with a Boeing 757. So maybe you will be able to get a seat to Europe more often, golf bag and all, seeing that you can't play golf in Zim anymore!!!!!! Mmmmmm???

Forgot to add GUNS, that ECO AIR, a SL start up carrier has secured an AOC, and will begin operations soon. They will be using B737's initially, but will change to an Airbus A310 later.

Do you think there will be jobs for us in SL with all this civial aviation development? You should become a "recruiter" bru!

finnman
3rd Jul 2003, 03:25
clipboard
you are way behind the times the last flt on the a310 for sna was monday/tuesday
this friday i understand is a titan airways (uk operator 757)
dont know what happens after that
just keep your eyes peeled

enigmajet
3rd Jul 2003, 06:39

Hey Crewmeal

Hows life? anything on the horizon??
Any news or signs of life, or are we hoping invain??

Cheers Enigma.:D

crewmeal
3rd Jul 2003, 15:44
Sorry guys I have no more news for anyone. Everything is on hold and after chatting to various people it looks like its going to be a non starter for now.

Shame really as there has been so much effort and work put in by a lot of people.

As to pervy pilots input - I cannot comment - I hope its not true though!!!

enigmajet
18th Jul 2003, 18:56

What happened to rule this start up out?
Why no response or news from Papas or Wynnwith?
Has anyone heard anything lately?:zzz:

---
19th Jul 2003, 00:57
no news for the moment
but A310 sim instructors requiered in london ????:\

Gunship
28th Jul 2003, 14:32
Hope to bring you better news on my return.. 8 Aug. :ok:

---
8th Aug 2003, 23:39
gunship any news ????????

enigmajet
12th Oct 2003, 18:07
crewmeal, Gunship, Anyone

Is there any movement on this one??
I have not been told anything by agency or anyone.
Any news at all????
Cheers.

Enigma.:bored:

crewmeal
13th Oct 2003, 16:17
Sadly the whole thing has been one big con from start to finish. The agencies, lawyers, employees etc have been left owed thousands with no chance of getting their money back.

homesick rae
13th Oct 2003, 18:19
Yes, I was a little suspicious. Sad though, as it was an interesting prospect.

What are you up to now then?

Cheers

HR