PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on Thruxton?

skysoarer
17th Oct 2001, 03:14
Y'all;

Ideally I would like to start some PPL training shortly. I had suggestion from a friend at my gliding club that Thruxton is a good facility for learning. How does this comment stand with you guys? And please not too many of the "Go here it's better messages".

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Regards;

Sky

Polar_stereographic
17th Oct 2001, 09:58
I used to teach there years ago briefly, but know the CFI well. Top bloke, all the right qualities in as far as teaching you to learn to fly is concerned. Anyone ask me where to fly, I always send them there because I know they will be taught to fly somewhere where the objective is NOT to extract as much cash as possible.

Not had any complaints either.

Also, IMHO, Thuxton is far enough away from London to benefit from lower charges, less controlled airspace, and is not too busy.

Enjoy it.

PS

Charlie Foxtrot India
17th Oct 2001, 12:12
Lovely spot, I grew up near there. Went there to try and go for a fly on my last trip to "the old country" and was very well looked after . Unfortunately it was too hazy to go flying... Us aussie VFR pilots worry if the vis goes below 20kms.

Memories of Thruxton are happy but noisy, with the sky filled with helicopters from Middle Wallop, the boom boom of the Royal Artillery on Salisbury Plain, the neeeeee-ooooooom neeeeeeeee-oooooom of the cars racing round the Thruxton circuit and the trains going over the viaduct on the way to Salisbury...happy days.

Island Hopper
25th Oct 2001, 15:20
Great restaurant too.

A comfortable place to learn.

Good prices by comparison to other schools in the south. :)

skysoarer
27th Oct 2001, 03:05
Thanks for the replies! Much appreciated. I'll collar my mate in Swindon, who is a regular there, and take a trip. A good restaurant is most important!

This weekend I shall be taking a trip to Black Mountains gliding club to have a try at ridge flying ... if the wind strength is up to it... 'cause I got paid today! Woohoo!

Thanks again ... don't hesitate to email me if there is anything else I should know.

Graeme Scott
[email protected]