PDA

View Full Version : Mas & Cal

BritishGuy
24th Feb 2003, 13:20
Hi, I was wondering if MAS and CAL accept FAA licences. I'm thinking of applying but have only got an FAA Commercial/Multi/Inst. Would it be worth my time? I don't have any ratings, but want to give them a shot regardless. Fingers crossed and see how they go. Can someone tell me how to apply to MAS?? They don't seem to have any info on thier website. CAL do. Thanks all in advance.

marlin
28th Feb 2003, 10:33
What is a Londoner doing with a FAA lic,sorry,just wondering cos u won't be able to get a job in UK.

BritishGuy
28th Feb 2003, 17:51
Yeah good question I guess. I'm a US Green Card holder and pre sept 11th I wanted to fly and work out there. But now, I'm not sure if I'd be welcome. Just a personal feeling, not sure where I stand with FAA licence and a Green Card-hence I'm trying to convert my licence to a UK one and who knows, I know the far eastern airlines accept FAA and JAA licence. So I'd give them a try too.

cochise
28th Feb 2003, 18:42
just my opinion....I grew up in Singapore, my old man was a Capt. for SIA, but he went there with thousands of hours wide body experience. I have since got all my ratings and have had negative feedback from most of the regional Asian carriers. You have to understand that they, like most countries want to protect the rights of their national pilots, hence giving them the jobs first.
To get a foot in the door you'd have to be able to give them a service that none of their nationals could provide, ie have thousands of hours....which are hard to come by these days!!!

sorry but I hope it was an eye opener.
anymore q's dont hesitate to ask

The Rage
1st Mar 2003, 15:02
Well gentlemen, the thing is, both singapore and malaysian licences are modelled after the CAA's, meaning they wont except FAA unless u do the local paper's which are the same as the CAA one's and maybe a flying test too, that im not too sure. But MAS would not take in expats unless there is a requirement, and with the current shortage off FO's in the airline and if the are smart enough they might just hire a few on contract for a few years untill their local numbers return to normal. They probably would pay local rates since so many people are without a job these days, but it would be a good place to build on hours till the job markets open up again. I believe Air Asia (low cost airline based in Malaysia) would be hiring expats in a few months time, they have the planes but not the crew. Malaysia is all dried up off pilots. They advertised recently in the local dailys, but this is more of the goverments requirement that u advertise for locals before u employ expats, which should be in about 2 months time. SIA has expat FO's, but not too many, but then u might not see command for a long time, but a very good place to get wide body hours, then again its all on local terms.

Cross Check
5th Mar 2003, 10:49
LoL ...

Malaysia - "Truly Asia" ... nice to see someone was paying attention to the new tourism ads ... :p

kwaiyai
6th Mar 2003, 12:51
Hi British Guy,
You will need a local licence as thet dont recognise FAA one, Were I am working that has been the problem with hiring guys with FAA licences, I have been given a validation which allows me to fly for company only and with restrictions too. However the UK licence conversion proper is not hard and you will need to do IR test, No probs for a IR holder from UK or US for example. Next problem is what the Rage said, Locals first which is fair enough but I hope I will get a look in later maybe. Good Luck, Its a great country if you like it. :cool:

BritishGuy
6th Mar 2003, 17:31
So Kwaiyai, do you hold an FAA licence so to say?? If so would you mind sharing what kinda of experience you hold. Some sources say that a few airlines in the region are VERY short for f/o's and after trying to hire locally, if none are found then expats may be given a chance. To be honest, I wouldn't mind flying with restrictions and I wouldn't mind being tied to one company only. I hope this doesn't sound too desperate.

kwaiyai
7th Mar 2003, 10:58
Hi British Guy check your PM Cheers:cool: