View Full Version : British Airways launch Trainee Engineer Scheme

flying doc
24th Feb 2003, 12:36
Want to get your hands dirty??

Follow this link for the newly opened BA Trainee Engineer Scheme, leading to professional educational and JAR qualifications!

http://www.britishairwaysjobs.com/roledescription.jsp?ID=1143197&MODE=2

Happy Landings
24th Feb 2003, 14:24
I worked alongside the trainee engineers at BA Heathrow and this is a great scheme if you are just about to leave school or haven't got a degree yet. I've just finished my degree so I can't apply but would have done if I could turn back the clock 4 years!!!!

Plus at BA once your in your in, a great company to work for!!

WenWe
24th Feb 2003, 14:54
Plus at BA once your in your in, a great company to work for!!

LOL! Have a look at the BA forum on Airmech to see just how good (Engineering) morale is.

mrcabbage
24th Feb 2003, 17:09
I'm extremely sorry to disappoint you BUT it just aint true!!!BA Engineering management are currently decimating the morale of the engineers it has left with threats of closure to all regional bases bar LHR (currently!) by handing over many, if not all routes to CitiExpress. And also continued shift changes. People are been forced to COMMUTE between MAN and LHR and also LGW and LHR.Does this sound like a good company? It is a case of 3 weeks wages for every year worked for 'voluntary severance' (yes it is STILL ongoing) or the government minimum of 1 week per each year worked if you will not agree to LHR or voluntary severance.Which is of course 'REDUNDANCY'...The company is an excellent one to work for if you are cabin or aircrew.Engineering on the other hand appear to be little more than 'whipping' boys to reduce the airlines cost base...My apologies once again if i have ruined your image of the engineering side of the company but the truth needs to be told...Incidentaly PEP or Professional Engineering Program-these guys and gals have spent MONTHS stocktaking in LHR stores.Training??I'll leave you to decide.........

GE 90
24th Feb 2003, 19:47
At the risk of sounding bitter I feel that Happy Landings and Flying Doc are about 5 years out of date. Yes it used to be the case that "once you are in you are in for life" but those days are over.
As mrcabbage writes we are currently watching vertually all the regional engineering being disbanded, dismantled, and those unlucky enough to be outside Heathrow being forced out of work. I can't see an end to it until we stop looking at the cost of Engineering and instead focus on the value. At the moment all the thoughts are about saving money in the short term.
So not a good move if you plan to stay. Not forgeting that the final salary pension scheme is closing to new members in April.
However I can recommend the course to anyone who wants to be sponsered through college for an engineering qualification as the last batch to graduate handed in their notices as soon as they were presented with their diplomas. (They may have closed that loophole now!)

A and C
24th Feb 2003, 19:54
It was four years of the very best engineering training that money could buy.

Followed by ten years of being dicked about the very worst of british managment , the money for a licenced engineer with CRS approval on three types was about the same as for a cabin crew member with six weeks training and your status in the company was slightly below that of the guy who drives the honeycart.

My advice to take the training and p1ss off.

Happy Landings
24th Feb 2003, 20:39
Sorry Guys, I understand how you feel out in the regions, as I said I use to work for BA but was one of the first to go and that was LHR.

Even still if your 18 and you want to be a licenced engineer and you want to get paid to get a BEng in aerospace engineering and you dont wont leave uni with a £15k student loan with no chance of a job because you aren't licenced - (sounds like me, your not the only ones haveing a hard time Im still trying to find work) - then I still rekon this is a good scheme.

I had a great time down at LHR, got to use the simulators free of charge, took loads of courier flights to the U.S not to mention hotline tickets, all in all not a bad life style for an 18 year old. Id say Im about 18 months out of date but you got to look to the future - this is a four year course!

Happy Landings Boys and Girls!

jar66_b2
25th Feb 2003, 09:38
Posted the job ad two weeks ago about this.

Am currently on the scheme. Not bad going. Had a few problems with it at the start but quite enjoying it now. It did Have teething troubles like every new start up course but things are improving with the new manager that came in after xmas. Have to agree with the people that are disgruntled with BA management and their attitudes to BA, we've had experience of it too! But from what I've read from other airline forums, BA isn't the only airline that treats engineers this way.

At the end of the day, take what you can out of the course, they're paying you to get your licence which, if you look about ain't cheap to get. At the end of the day, when the little CAA book pops through your letter box at the end of the 4 years, you can hand your notice in and go elsewhere if you wish.

Good luck to all those who apply. Hopefully might see some of you at the interviews (I'll be there for the free food if they still have it!)