PDA

View Full Version : What happens in a sim ride/check?

16th Oct 2001, 20:15
Just curious. To the ignorant (like me) can't see how you can be thrown in at the deep end on a strange a/c and expected to peform. Or isn't it like that? Any info (particularly humerous) appreciated.

SKYYACHT
17th Oct 2001, 19:50
Cron,

There are effectively two philosophies on a sim check. Some companies use the sim ride as a gauge for the candidates latent flying ability, and will be interested in seeing how you cope with an unfamiliar aeroplane with more energy than usual GA tyes. (I am assuming here that the candidate is a low hours Flight Instructor going for first airline job....Before anyone bites me!) The other type of sim ride could be to enable the hiring comapny to see what CRM skills the candidate has, and, lets say, crisis management skills....Normally the company requiring the check will provide the candidate in advance, with a pack giving details of the flight profile to be flown. The candidate will then be briefed, and will then be put into the required flight mode., ie., on an approach, On the Threshold about to take off etc. The profile will then be flown, with the check captain operating ancilliary controls flaps etc as and where needed. A typical profile could be to depart LHR 27L, and fly a Dover SID out as far as DET as an example, and then an approach to land on 27R......

Hope that helps.

Tailwinds

cln 7r
17th Oct 2001, 22:44
Had a sim ride with a large turbo-prop operator and it was pretty simple.

SID, HOLD, STAR,

standard departure over the beacon along the airway for about 10 nm then a precedure turn ( apparrently to see if i knew what one was) enter the hold A VOR HOLD ( nice and easy) Follow the step hights into the star, then fly the ILS to land.

Usaul questions during sim ride where, who, how, when, flying done? Just to see if could fly and talk.

The ride was all within limits but by no means perfect, but it got me into there hold pool.Seemed to be looking for gradual improvement as ride went on.

Some sim rides are more testing i believe but others pretty simular to this.

Asked a few questions after about
significance of trans alt etc...

I would say that if you have only been use to flying seminole/ aztec speeds and your going for a simride on a sim at 250kts then try to find a sim to practice in at these speeds because the difference nearly caught me out!!

power speed settings all sent to me two weeks before sim ride LEARN THEM!!!!!!!!!!

hope this helps.