PDA

View Full Version : Britannia - Aircraft Controllers

VIKING9
22nd Feb 2003, 15:44
I see that Britannia are looking for Aircraft Controllers and Assistant Aircraft Controllers to be based at LTN. I thought Ops had moved to Germany:confused: What's the deal here then, they are also looking for Crewing Assistants.........

Frosty Hoar
23rd Feb 2003, 05:57
Britannia UK Ops now scheduled to move to Hannover in November, having been delayed from a March cutover, Britannia Nordic ops are been run from Hannover along with Hapag Lloyd, Neos and Hapag Lloyd Express, the eventual goal being to create a group ops centre for TUI airlines. Britannia crewing will remain in LTN as far as I know.

rgds FH.

VIKING9
23rd Feb 2003, 08:41
So is the Aircraft Controller role just another name for Ops Controller !!! Will it all end then in November making this a temporary job ??

Frosty Hoar
23rd Feb 2003, 10:16
Yes aircraft controller means ops controller, and you would be wise to check with BY HR LTN to establish the exact terms and duration of the position.

VIKING9
23rd Feb 2003, 12:26
Well the job ad does say "fixed term".......could be fixed until November, in other words it's a temporary slot. Still, I'll apply and see what happens. :eek:

Captain Slogg
1st Mar 2003, 22:33
Morale is very poor at the moment and many staff are close to leaving. The company has also stated that it may soon renogiate the redundancy package planned for November.
Unless you are currently unemployed or about to be -you might be better off staying where you are.
A once proud company has lost its shine since "Johnny Foreigner" took over.
Coming 5th in the latest charter airline on time tables has not gone down too well either in the upper floors.

VIKING9
2nd Mar 2003, 08:10
But for someone who might just be looking for 6 months work, is it still worth it or should one avoid it? I remember many years ago it was dire at times........:confused:

Penguin124
2nd Mar 2003, 08:40
As an ex Ops Officer at "Brits" disturbing to hear things are not well, we were always proud to be "numero uno".

Personal circumstances dictated my leaving, otherwise I would have stayed. A great team down there in Ops and crewing, a shame things have progressed the way they have.

rgds
P124

Captain Slogg
2nd Mar 2003, 15:51
Viking 9

If 6 months is all you are looking for then you might enjoy it.

As previously stated by Penguin 124 they are a great team-its just that they are all pretty dissilusioned with managements attitude and indecision "will we/ wont we/when will we" move to Germany.
Once ops moves to Germany there will probably be a need for at least some kind of operational support to remain in the UK-but despite knowing the move was coming for nearly two years-still no details have been advised to staff. Possibly because whats likely to be on offer would be purely administrative and on reduced salaries.
The MD, Kevin Hatton has recently stated that if there is a further downturn in the business as a result of a war with Iraq, various action will need to be taken to remain profitable-one of which is to renogtiate redundancy payments. A reasonable redundancy package is all that is keeping some of the longer serving staff there anyway. Those with only a few years service
(and little expected in the way of redundancy) are now leaving-hence the need to recruit.
A downturn in business could still change things-also the German economy is in a poor state at the moment-so who knows what might yet happen.

Fareastman
7th Mar 2003, 23:25
Hey Viking9, did you apply in the end and what was the result?
Brits still picking up business (French long haul ex Paris) I heard.

VIKING9
8th Mar 2003, 07:15
Fareastman Had a letter to say they'd be writing to me in due course :confused:

The Highlander
8th Mar 2003, 20:50
It is a shame that the figures publised put BAL down in 5th place as it was a good summer from my recollections.And as the Captain says unfortunately the short timers at BAL ops are leaving,I know I was one of them who despite working with a winning team could notaccept the terms and conditions offer by my new german employers. obviously they were right for some people Frosty knows to whom I refer but TUI/Hapag refused to negotiate to anything near my experience level and as a result when I was offered something a bit more suitable I took it.
It is as I said a shame as Britannia were a Great company to work for and the team is now I fear so badly affected by the whole mismanagement by the new parent company that if the redundancy terms are renegotiated then I fear that there will be a mass exodus to pastures new. As I said to some of my at the time collegues there are plenty of jobs out there and some may decide to move on before the reference to Britannia on there CV comes a disadvantage to their prospects for further employment.
A great shame for a great company.

Bobby Z
9th Mar 2003, 12:48
I received a call last Monday inviting me to an all day selection thingy in a few weeks time (as did another of my collegues about to be made redundant also).
The girl that called was clearly not in the loop when asked if the job was permanent or temp, but give her some credit she did get a more senior HR bod to call me back.
It was not a great deal of help as she could not give any details as to length of contract etc, and got a bit tetchy when I sugested that I had heard that it was only a short term contract. 'What gives you that impression' she asked 'Are you attending the day or not' she asked. Well beggars cant be choosers so I am going, so we will just have to wait and see !!!

SEAGULLS AIN'T GOIN DOWN !!!

VIKING9
9th Mar 2003, 13:16
What's the real point in them being so selective and fussy, all day interviewing etc when the job is only for 6 months ? If the job was "permanent", then yes I could understand the logic, but if they are going to boot everyone out in November, why put so much effort into the HR side ? Just curious that's all :confused:

FormerFlyer
9th Mar 2003, 15:26
Funny - nowhere in the ad in the paper did it suggest that it was fixed term or temp. Then again neither did it say it was perm.

cheers ;)

FF

Bobby Z
9th Mar 2003, 19:29
Former Flyer
I had two reasons for asking the question when I got the call.

1. I had heard speculation about BY ops not only in here, but from a BY Captain who is a family friend and someone I trust.
I don't see the point of going along for a whole day interview for a 6 month contract and then be told in November adios, that is the situation I am in now, so I don't want to be looking for a job twice in a year, and it is waste of their time interviewing me.
2. I have to take the day off unpaid, so when staring redundancy in the face a days pay can feel like a big loss, plus I would rather spend my little time off within the next month seeking a permanent job.

But hey I didn't get a straight answer so I guess I will go along anyway.
I'm with Viking 9, who I assume is going along also (?) that it is not really cricket if you are trying to recruit the right type of person if you cannot tell them how long the job is going to be for.
If it were permanent, it is the type of job that I would move from my home towm of 29 yrs for, but, how would you feel if you took a 7 yr old and a 5 yr old out of a School they love to be told in 6 months that it thanks and goodbye ???? Me ?? I think I would rather stay put and drive a white van round Brighton till something else came up, and thats a real shame because how can BY possibly attract experienced staff ???

Bobby

-------------------------------------------------------------------

And yes, seagulls STILL ain't goin' down !!!!

FormerFlyer
9th Mar 2003, 22:49
Oh I don't doubt you, or your sources.

I just wonder why if it is so they didn't bother to mention in the ad - then they would get the appropriate people to interview, like you say.

cheers ;)

FF

Bobby Z
9th Mar 2003, 23:35
FF
By the tone of my post I am sure that you can detect that I have made no opinion either way.
My frustration at the moment is probably a direct result of years of stability and gradual progression with the same employer, and the the now numb sense of security that comes with working for a vast organisation.
Most of the jobs that are going at the moment seem to be unstable or for short term contracts, I read with interest the Gold Air thread on another forum that would scare even the most desperate job hunter, so if I seem to want some kind of basic assurance (I know that is almost impossible with the impending Gulf Crisis) I apologise !!

Bobby

VIKING9
10th Mar 2003, 07:05
FormerFlyer the ad on the UKOMA website did say "for a fixed term", and that fixed term is until November 2003.

Bobby Z I haven't actually been invited along, just a letter to say they will be in touch. I'm very sceptical about the whole thing. In this day and age, stability is the name of the game for any one. I'm afraid spending a whole day being tested on this and tested on that, how to build teams, how to build confidence etc is something I would attend if the job were FULL time with clear career prospects. I'm afraid though for a 6 month posting, it all seems way over the top. I never thought I'd say this but I think BY are losing the plot a little here.

FormerFlyer
10th Mar 2003, 07:38
VIKING9 - oh I only saw the ad in the local rag.

cheers ;)
FF

VIKING9
10th Mar 2003, 08:37
But now the ad on UKOMA's website doesn't state whether it's fixed term, long term, short term or anything. What's occuring here ?:confused: