PDA

View Full Version : Downloading music... mp3u.com?

Binoculars
22nd Feb 2003, 11:50
I'm sick of trying to keep one step ahead of the lawyers; I want a site that will let me download music legally and without being number 132 in the queue. Does anybody have any experience, good or bad, of www.mp3u.com ? I'd be more than happy to pay $24 for two years if it works, even if it is real dollars and not the Pacific peso.

All opinions gratefully received.

Dutchman
22nd Feb 2003, 12:40
Binoculars,

Have you tried Kazaa www.kazaa.com or Morpheus www.morpheus.com Have downloaded mp3's from them in the past no prob's, works like a charm. Probalbly illegal but not felling guilty, as the music industry has screwed us over for years with absurd prices. Same file sharing systems as Napster have to download their software first.

Binoculars
22nd Feb 2003, 12:48
Dutchman, if you want your system loaded with the amount of spyware that Kazaa puts on there, it's all yours. Not for me thanks. Morpheus and Winmx used to work well for me, but even with an ADSL connection it's not worth the effort these days.

Yeah, I never felt the need to justify screwing people who had screwed us over the years, this isn't about guilt, just getting a system that works. If that means paying a small sum, I'm quite happy to do it.

Edit: Hmm, looking one level further down, it seems mp3u.com support or recommend Kazaa, Morpheus, Grokster and BearShare. I give up. What's going on, and what's the best way to get music?

Ausatco
22nd Feb 2003, 13:45
Binos,

Try www.k-lite.tk

K-lite or Kazaa Lite or K++, call it what you will, is Kazaa with the adware stripped from it. I have used version 2.0.2 for some time and it's fine.

You'll be redirected from the above link. Go to downloads. Latest English version is 2.1.0. Get the latest codecs as well, version 1.6.

Good luck, don't despair.

AA

Binoculars
23rd Feb 2003, 12:50
Whale oil beef hooked, it works! Thanks to those who contacted me by various means; maybe this month I'll get my money's worth in downloads from my ADSL connection. :)

Is it really safe letting people into my music folder, even with Zone Alarm fitted? I want to pull my weight in this partnership, but can I be exposing myself to any harm? I've only got two files selected as being share-able.

timmcat
24th Feb 2003, 11:22
I've used Kazaalite for while now and have never been aware of any untoward security breach - currently using Norton Internet Security 2003 - nothing detected.

Being a paranoid soul myself, I'm a regular user of Adaware. It sometimes reports spyware in the Kazaalite folder - a file called cd_clint. Don't do what I did and delete it. It's a dummy file placed there by Kazaalite develpors to fool the Kazaa system into thinking the Spyware is there.

Tim

trolleydollylover
25th Feb 2003, 22:18
I think the lawyers have got to Morpheous

Try NeoNapster very easy to use

Does anybody have a pop up killer - GATOR that comes free with Morp.. is a real pain in the ass

BDiONU
26th Feb 2003, 07:09
Used to use Morpheus but its pretty much dead now. However Kazaa is VERY good (have even downloaded whole movies from it), apart from the ad stuff. One way around it is to use spybot S&D which removes all spyware etc. Its an excellent (and free) programme.
http://spybot.eon.net.au

Always Moving
26th Feb 2003, 23:02
if you want complete cd, that is the place to go, and at the same time everything else, and I mean EVERYTHING.
It works with e-donkey and others share programs.
But it is not good for a single song.
It is very good for DiVx, if you are looking for a program, record colections.
the web is www.emule-project.net