View Full Version : RAF AT Crews forced to starve!

DummyRun
21st Feb 2003, 23:20
Heard on gnd freq at a secret airbase in Wilts on thurs:

RAF 3-eng jet has diverted in due to people on runway at homebase, calls for start clearance which gnd give and then pass message from Ops ' in-flight are a bit busy at the moment and won't be able to deliver your rations', yes, they were made to endure the long transit back to a secret airbase in Oxon with no pies!!!, OUTRAGEOUS, INHUMAN, no wonder we have a retention problem!

Anyone know what the pie-eating record is from DL to VN?

opso
21st Feb 2003, 23:23
Used to be fairly easy to get in an AB on the transit for PTS if it was an early start (ie before 10 ish!).

DummyRun
21st Feb 2003, 23:40
opso, including the fruit polos?, no way!.
p.s. have you heard that PTS is now done using a twin INS/GPS solution instead of a nav lying on the flight-deck floor trying to peer out of the window and a bloke down the back whose only qualification is being good at games at school going 'left 5, right 5, steady', oooh smash the spinning jenny!

highveldtdrifter
25th Feb 2003, 18:41
VN to DL middle of the night a 5 man crew curry used to be possible. Even easier now we have the micro wave. I also heard the Tri motors ration conversation, they did sound a bit ashamed, mainly because there was a C17 nextdoor.

And yes, *** are very pleased with the reduction in the number of markers they have to lay out.

Interestingly, the accepted abreviation for Weston On the Green seems to have been sensored.

opso
25th Feb 2003, 19:28
DummyRun, I suspect that that's just for aiming for the sandpit - the traditional method for SL probably still prevails: turn over the prison, line up over the roundabout heading towards the sandpit, run in and drop them when it feels right to land somewhere near the IP. All done without the aid of anything except the Mk1 eyeball and, if you are soft, the raw doppler! (Unless of course, you happen to be a certain female nav, at which point, with sucking winds, the meatbombs stand a greater chance of landing on the pig farm to the south than on DZ!).

PS. What's this INS/GPS spawn of satan malarky - do you mean to say that the gerbil finally died in the along/across? I knew things were going bad when they turned off the Loran chains and removed the sextant!

Good Mickey
25th Feb 2003, 21:00
DummyRun,

you can't possibly be referring to the C-130J because that aircraft will never do PTS...or 250' NVG...or strips...or PW sim 45 with door bundles!!?

Biggus
25th Feb 2003, 21:10
Oh no! You Herc boys aren't about to turn another thread into a "J vs K slanging match" are you? Too late!

P.S Whatever happened to that "certain female nav"? Last I heard she was instructing youngsters at Cranditz. Probably an Air Commodore by now as well I expect.

LunchMonitor
26th Feb 2003, 10:56
Certain female nav now has a scraper and probably doesn't like to be reminded of the days of pjis hitchhiking home along the m40.

opso
26th Feb 2003, 20:15
It was downright insulting that even after that, she was declared 'instructor material' and sent to Nav School - I suppose it supports the old adage that those that can, do and those that can't, teach! I don't give a rats whether she appreciates being reminded about it, I had the displeasure of doing PTS the day after one of her cock-ups when she placed them 2 fields south and caught in trees - the PJIs were most pissed off and our only defence was that we weren't even from the same sqn as the useless so-and-so!

DummyRun
27th Feb 2003, 18:48
Biggus,
Never the intention to start a 'Jamiroquoi', p@ss me off when it happens, the 2 types will have to learn to live side by side, just like the Bucc and the Tornado or the F3 and the F4 or the........
as for the the other comments, the twin INS/GPS does let you get a word in sideways and is totally reliable 31 days a month,
...incoming!!