PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair Sponsorship

G-AMMY
21st Feb 2003, 17:59
Just wondering what everyone else thinks with regards to this. They are going to have a lot of new 737-800s over the next few years, don't know if they will get enough direct entry type rated pilots to fly them. Just a thought. I wonder if they are plotting a sponsorship scheme similar to Easyjets?

Artificial Horizon
21st Feb 2003, 19:24
Now that Ryanair has taken over BUZZ it has by default inherited around 15 sponsored pilots who will be joining over the next 18 months. Aside from these pilots I don't see Ryanair taking on the mantle of a big sponsorship scheme. There are PLENTY of unemployed pilots out there to man the new planes. They may in the future have to stop charging people for the type ratings!

AJ
21st Feb 2003, 23:39
My first thought was what I thought Ryanair's first thought might be (if that makes sense!) i.e. sponsorship = unecessary costs = NO.

We've all heard how ruthless they are at cost-cutting.

On the other hand, the CTC method doesn't appear to cost the relevant airlines a penny (reduced salary/7-year bond), so perhaps they might think about it. I understand there is some deal with the graduates of a Flying School in the Netherlands at the moment though, so I don't know how that affects things...

If they do offer such an opportunity, go for it (notwithstanding all the abuse they get on other pprune forums)....they seem to have a pretty solid future.

Fly_146
23rd Feb 2003, 03:59
Will they still be taking on these 15 sponsored pilots when they are about to chop 25% of the former buzz crews with plenty of jet time?!

Artificial Horizon
23rd Feb 2003, 09:50
As far as I know the Buzz people have indicated they will be honouring the sponsored pilots agreements, I hadn't heard that some buzz pilots are being made redundant. Knowing O'leary he will come in on the 1st of April and all promises and guarantees will go out of the window. As it stands though the buzz sponsored pilots are going to be taken on.

scroggs
23rd Feb 2003, 11:23
The effective dismantling of Buzz by Ryanair was announced yesterday, and was big news in my part of the world. The redundancies are extensive and include pilots. I would be surprised if any Buzz-specific sponsorship scheme survives this process. However, I would also be surprised if Ryanair didn't begin contracting some sort of pilot supply from the FTOs within the next couple of years - if the government refrain from taxing the low-cost airlines out of existence!

Scroggs
Virgin/Wannabes Moderator
[email protected]

A Very Civil Pilot
24th Feb 2003, 13:06
Even if Ryanair hadn't taken over Buzz, I don't think the cadets have any firm contract to join the airline until they start line training. (Happy to be corrected if this is not so).