PDA

View Full Version : jaa ppl do u need RT licence for issue?

pipergirl
14th Oct 2001, 11:23
hi all
just a little confused...
do i need a rt licence for issue of my jaa ppl?
i believe in the old system, you could get ur ppl issued without rt and get issued with a ppl with a RT licence afterwards(not too sure about this info?)
also, between ur flight test and application for issue, do u need to have a minimum amount of hours(as in 3 take-offs and 3landings in previous three months)

OH, WHAT A TANGLED WEB WE WEAVE!

BEagle
14th Oct 2001, 11:35
I understand that wish to know whether a Flight Radio Telephony Operator's Licence is required for JAR/FCL PPL issue.

A communications (theory) examination pass is required in the UK and has to be completed before licence application; however, I understand that the RT practical is viewed as a national requirement, not a JAR one, so may be completed after the PPL Skill Test (but I may well be wrong on this).

All theoretical and training requirements must be completed before the JAR/FCL PPL Skill Test is attempted; I recommend that you complete the RTF practical before you do the Skill Test and then when you apply for the licence, you will not be charged the extra you would be if you applied for a FRTOL on its own.

After you haver received your licence, you may only fly passengers if, in addition to holding a valid licence, you have also carried out 3 take-offs and landings as sole manipulator of the controls within the previous 90 days. Which you certainly would have if you had sent off your application right after you'd passed the PPL Skill Test.

[ 14 October 2001: Message edited by: BEagle ]

rigidity
14th Oct 2001, 14:54
You can apply for the PPL without the RT licence, but obviously you cannot fly in the UK without them both.
I got my PPL in the states a few years ago but never got around to getting the RT prac done. You can fly anywhere apart from the UK without it, providing you get the local equivilent.
When you do get it done, the CAA let you add it to your licence for FREE!!! Not a word that the CAA use often I know, but its true.

:p :p

Noggin
14th Oct 2001, 21:46
The FRTOL is a separate licence and is not a pre-requisite for the issue of a JAA PPL.

The JAA PPL can be issued without RT privileges however, as you have to pass the Communications written examination before you take the PPL Skill Test, and have to demonstrate that you can use the radio in order to pass the PPL Skill test leaving it out doesn't make a lot of sense.

If you take the FRTOL at a later date you will have to pass the practical test and the written test again if it was taken more than 12 months earlier.

If you do not have a FRTOL you cannot operate the radio in any State that requires such a licence. i.e. all except ITU Region 1 the Americas.

pipergirl
16th Oct 2001, 20:58
thanks for all that info
called the caa and don't need to get the frtol if i am not going to fly in the uk...but if in the future i want to get an frtol i do not have to pay for it after my ppl has been issued.
(but if get an frtol b4 ppl issue i must pay!?)
thank u for ur advice lads!!