PDA

View Full Version : UK CPL verse SA CPL

VirginStudent
21st Feb 2003, 09:18
Can anyone tell me the difference, if any there is between a UK CPL and a SA CPL when it comes to job prospects ??

In addition, I’ve just been told that as of 14/2 all US flying schools have to be inspected before they are able to issue a visa. Any views on that would be handy too

FlyingForFun
21st Feb 2003, 09:46
Virgin,

The simple answer is to get a license from the country you intend to fly in.

There is no such thing as a new UK CPL any more. If you get a CPL (or any license, for that matter) in the UK, you will get a JAR license. This license can, in theory, be used in any of the European countries which are members of JAA.

Broadly speaking, to fly an aircraft that is registered in a particular country, you need a license that's recognised by that country. So to fly a British aircraft, you need a JAR license (or an older UK license, which you can't get any more).

This is a huge over-simplification. Countries can validate licenses from other countries (under JAR, there is a time-limit on how long this validation can last in a JAA country such as the UK). The US will issue foreign pilots an American FAA license which allows you to exercise whatever privileges your foreign license give you. Basically, each country has slightly different rules.

A South African license would enable you to fly South African aircraft. It might be valid in other coutries, depending on the coutries' rules. In Europe, it could be validated for a short period only, but you'd be unlikely to be able to get a job in Europe without a JAR license. I don't know what South Africa's rules are about accepting foreign licenses - if you hope to get a job there, and are considering getting a JAR license, you will want to find out first.

Hope that answers the questions! It's a little bit vague in places, mainly because I don't know all the details....

FFF
-----------