PDA

View Full Version : Fussy modem

Cool_Hand
19th Feb 2003, 21:21
Basically, when I turn my machine on and go to either Outlook express or IE, the dial up dialog doesn't appear and either OE hangs or IE just says the page cannot be displayed. If I restart the machine all is fine. It just happens when I turn the computer on. The duration of it being turned off is irrelevant as far as 5 mins to 24 hours the problem remains.

System:

MB - L7VTA
Proc- XP2100
Mem- 256Mb
Mod- Intel V.92 56k Internal Modem
OS- Windows ME

History: I built the machine about 4 weeks ago, and didn't have a problem* recently I decided to get folders sorted out so the mail for each addresse goes into its own folder, so basically I can ignore anything not addressed directly to me, this didn't work and the problem now exists. Once I've done the restart it all works as expected though.

*All except, for some reason, when the machine is switched off the num lock light remains on :confused: I thought all power to the motherboard was supposed to be isolated when the machine is off.

I hope all that is necessary is here otherwise let me know, thanking all who help in advance.

CH.

Cool_Hand
22nd Feb 2003, 09:58
Thanks for your response, it's amazing how sometimes the simplest things can be overlooked.
I reinstalled the modem and it changed the problem to never wanting to log on. So played around a lot for about three hours worth and it seems to work now, no idea what I did, but saying that it's only had one switch off since and it seems to work.
Thanks for the link to try and sort out the num lock.

:ok: