PDA

View Full Version : Converting JAA ATPL theory to non-JAA theory.

Island Hopper
19th Feb 2003, 10:33
Hi,

I’m thinking of doing much of my training in Canada or S.Africa, and coming back here to convert it to a JAA licence.

Basically, to convert a non-JAA CPL/IR to a JAA CPL/IR I would have to pass the JAA CPL skills test and complete a minimum of 15 hours instrument flying instruction and pass the JAA IR skills test.

The dilemma I can see though, is in getting a non-JAA CPL/IR without re-taking all the theoretical exams I am doing now.

Is it possible to convert JAA ATPL theory into non-JAA theory for the purposes of getting a non-JAA CPL/IR ?

Otherwise I can’t see a way of getting a JAA CPL/IR (by converting a non-jaa licence) without having to study, pass and pay for the ATPL theory of BOTH countries.

I hope you follow that! (No, I don’t draft documents for the CAA!)

IH

pittss2b
20th Feb 2003, 01:20
If I get your question, you want to use your JAA ATPL ground school for a non JAA country?

If so we'll give you credit for your JAA ground school toward your Canadian CPL and IFR written exams provided you can get a reasonable mark on our practice exams.

We can also conduct some one to one ground school to familarize yourself with the differences between the JAA system and the Canadian system.

Adam
www.harvsair.com

Island Hopper
20th Feb 2003, 10:02
Thanks Pitts.

So would the Canadian aviation authority require me to take all the theoretical exams for the issue of a CPL/IR ?

Or would I only need to sit certain subjects, such as Air Law ?

IH

pittss2b
20th Feb 2003, 21:06
If you want the CPL and IR in Canada then yes you have to sit the exams.

Which are FAR simpler then the oppressive JAA system! There is ONE exam for the CPL (100 questions multiple guess, pass mark 60%), and ONE exam for the IFR (50 question multiple guess, pass mark 70%).

Adam
www.harvsair.com