PDA

View Full Version : CTC Aviation Group?

Commander
17th Jan 2002, 17:57
Hi. Looking for some feedback from customers of CTC Aviation Group. They offer Airline Qualification Course wich includes JAR-MCC. Please let me know how they are...

DeeTee
17th Jan 2002, 18:25
Hi Commander.

I went through the CTC training a while ago when they were called ATP. In them days you went through a free selection course, and if you passed all stages were put through a LOFT/MCC thing over two weeks at their expense. After that, having paid nothing but your petrol to get you there and back they placed you with an airline. Some of the placements involved you taking a minimum wage (£600 a month plus flying pay) and some were straight in on full salary. Having managed to get through their selection process I thought the course was excellent. Well thought out and the sim training exceptional. I thoroughly enjoyed it, although it was hard work. they ahd a number of really good speakers in. Very experienced captains, who were there to tell you about their experiences and open to questions.

Not sure what the deal now-a-days is but I understand it is somewhat different, with you having to buy the course, and not get it free. However I thought the whole package was very good.

Not sure if this helps or not.

Cheers and good luck

DeeTee

Tosh McCaber
18th Jan 2002, 11:26
Does anyone have an update on the differences now, in terms of course structure and cost?

Constant Speed DU
18th Jan 2002, 23:05
I am currently on the AQC Course which is the final stage. They are training 20 people on 757's in hindsight for the market turning around.

I have just completed the first week of the course and I think it is great! Fine ,it cost six thousand pounds but at the end of the day you have a type rating, the best training money can buy and people dedicated in getting you a job. they also know everyone in every airline! If they can't get you a job who can?

The whole set up is second to none! You just have to see how good they are by going down there and seeing a hallway approximately 120 ft long plastered with pilots who are now placed in airlines.

Commander
19th Jan 2002, 03:10
Let me get this straight Constant Speed; you end up with a TR on a 757 for 6K? To me, it's a good deal. What's the catch? According to the CTC home page (www.ctcaviation.com) they offer the AQC for around 6.000 but that's on a 737 sim. Explain the difference between there... please.

Sir_Fly-a-Lot
19th Jan 2002, 03:53
Not exactly, if I was told correctly, once you've passed all the selection stuff, they put you on a type rating course (e.g. 757). After completion of the groundschool you start training on the simulator. They use the sylabus of the airline most likely to hire you. (e.g. JMC) The only thing you're not doing is your checkride on the simulator and circuits on the aircraft. If you complete the course succesfully, they place you in a pool. If they are then approached by an airline in need of pilots, and the airline is willing to take you, you just have to pass the checkride and circuits with the airline. All for around 6K. They are an excellent outfit, but stay away from the food. I believe it's terrible. I got this info from a pilot who went through the EPST-scheme. I have no idea who or what EPST are, but maybe somebody else knows.
Hope this helps, SF.

Nightstop
19th Jan 2002, 13:18
I did my B733 conversion at ATP some time back. A very good course especially the CBT (Air Malta program I think). My ground instructor (Ian W.) was excellent (how R U?). The simulator was intensive as expected, our company suffered a 20% chop rate unfortunately. I've since flown the 733 with several graduates of the CTC scheme to which you refer, they are all without exception excellent pilots/team workers and certainly know their stuff. Not sure though if the 757 is the right type to go for at the moment. Good luck.

[ 19 January 2002: Message edited by: Nightstop ]</p>

pjdj777
19th Jan 2002, 22:16
Just to clear up a few points - the £6k is for the AQC course - NOT a type rating. To get to that stage you need to go through two days worth of exams and interviews.

At the end of the AQC course you have to go through a sim assessment - if you fail the assessment you are out of the scheme - with no feedback!! Paying the money over is not a guarantee of a type rating.

A friend of mine just failed the sim assessment and has therefore lost £6k, if you get through the sim assessment you get a type rating and then go into the holding pool, which in itself is not a guarantee of employment. If it is the 757 they're pushing at the moment I think it's the wrong type to have, though they do have big contacts at EZY.

Ivan Ivanovich
19th Jan 2002, 22:42
Constant Speed DU

Did you attend the ATP selection scheme or have you dediced to purchase the AQC independently? I'm interested to hear how many of the 20 pilots they have attracted to the AQC so far and how many have passed. Like pjdj says, if you fail the sim ride you have nothing to show for your £6k but an enjoyable experience.

Hope it goes well for you!

Yeah, the 757 seems the wrong choice unless they know for sure that a charter company is expecting to recruit through them soon. The 737 would be the obvious choice?

[ 19 January 2002: Message edited by: Ivan Ivanovich ]</p>