PDA

View Full Version : Latest facts re CPL at FTC, please

FlyingForFun
18th Feb 2003, 20:19
First of all, I'm pleased to say that I've passed all of my Module 2 exams. Happy doesn't even come close to describing how I feel about that! From the other threads that are running, and e-mails from other people who were at Bristol with me, it seems that a huge number of people were successful this month - so congratulations to everyone!

Fantastic! But, onto the next bit. It's time to start researching schools where I can do the CPL. So I downloaded the list off the CAA's website (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/srg_fcl_ApprovedFTOs.pdf), and I was quite surprised by what I saw. Flight Training College of Africa are listed as providing JAR FCL 1 CPL(A) Module Flying training!

Now, I know that FTC have a mixed reputation. If you're a current or ex-student, then I might be interested to hear from you privately if you've got advice for me. But can we keep this thread for facts only please. What's the score here? Last August, FTC stopped offering the CPL course (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65450). Their name was removed from the CAA's list. But the list I have is up to date - version 30, dated 3 Feb 2003. So are FTC offering the CPL again? When did they re-start? Have they had many (any) students through since they re-started? Are they using the same instructors they used before they stopped? And (I know I asked for facts, but I'll make an exception for this question) are they still likely to be offering the course in September/October, which is when I'll most likely be able to get time off work to do it? You get the idea.

I am about to e-mail FTC (along with all the other schools I've short-listed) and I shall report back when I get a reply from them. But input from PPRuNe is always valuable!

FFF
-------------

GonvilleBromhead
19th Feb 2003, 07:51
Sorry FFF, not related to your question, but well done on the passes.

:D

FlyingForFun
19th Feb 2003, 13:40
Gonville - thanks mate!

FFF
------------

Andy_R
19th Feb 2003, 16:54
Well done on your passes!!!

I too have struggled to find a definitive answer on the FTC question of JAR approval.

I have struggled to get any concrete answers as yet, and South Africa would be my favourite option for initial flight training owing to cost / weather factors.

To FFF or anyone else out there, I have also looked into Progress Flight Academy in Port Elizabeth with regard to CPL module and how relevant it would be to JAR and the eyes of any potential future employer.

I find the whole relationship between South African flying schools and JAR relevancy a little bewildering. None of us want to spend tens of thousands of £££ to find that the "qualifications" don,t count.

FlyingForFun
21st Feb 2003, 07:57
Thanks Cloud.

I've heard back from FTC, they say that they never stopped offering the CPL it was just a nasty rumour someone started about them.

I have to say that, in all the time I've been reading PPRuNe, any un-truths are usually weeded out fairly quickly by the broad range of people we have here. But at the time, I don't believe anyone was suggesting that FTC were still offering the course, including some who were training there at the time. So I don't know if I believe this. If it's true, fine. But if it's not - well, I don't want to pay that kind of money to a school who is going to lie to me from the start.

I'd really like to know the truth about this. Anyone got any ideas where I can get some reliable information from?

The idea of getting a South African license instead is not completely impossible, but it's not a route I want to take. Besides, there are enough other places to do the CPL - I just like the idea of flying in a country I've never been to before, that's all!

FFF
--------------

Andy_R
21st Feb 2003, 08:11
It is certainly a country worth a visit FFF. Just ignore the politics.
If I manage to get any concrete information re FTC will let you know.

Peter Nielsen
3rd Mar 2003, 21:18
Hey Everybody
Since it is my first time on this page - was actually looking for feedback questions but without any luck - I am a little amazed over the reputation FTC has achieved here in Europe. I was a student there for a year via Atlantic Flight Training. SA is really a country where you have to considder the + against the - and so is FTC indeed. I know for a fact that atlantic - thorogh whom FTC had groundschool approval - has taken all their activies out of FTC. But I also know for a fact that their JAA CPL approval is in the name of FCT/miss Buxton. I have seen it with my own eyes and once I have my lase five exams out of the way i'm on the next jumbo to joburg.
good luck, I bette hit the books!
Nielsen

African Drunk
3rd Mar 2003, 21:31
FTC did not lose CPL approval as they where piggy backing Atlantics and when they went their seperate ways had to get there own.

a/c are good and so are most of their instructors and prices are cheap. you might have one or two problems with them but i would still recommend doing the CPL there.

clearthedecks
4th Mar 2003, 21:10
I was at FTC last August, only doing a PPL though, but it was however a JAR PPL, and they were also running JAR CPL courses. I believe they used to operate under Atlantic's licence for CPL, but now have their own approval, with Vicki Buxton as the chief flying instructor.
In terms of the aircraft and instruction, the aircraft were of a high standard (4 new Warriors), and the instructors also taught to a high standard, although many of the instructors were quite young.
The only criticism I had when I was there was that of the apparent disorganisation of the company, as there seemed to be a lot of people who did not know what they were doing. I was there for nearly a month before they found the deposit i has paid them prior to joining.
The standard of accomodation was sub-standard when I was there, however this may have improved since.
As with any organisation, always exercise caution when parting with large sums of money in advance, and pay with credit cards where possible.

Dakota Queen
4th Mar 2003, 21:41
FFF - hows it going? , well done on the exams.

I guess for about a year now I've been posting on info in SA, I've seen several comments about FTC - 35% good, the rest, unfortunately not great. It seems that while the hardware is good and instructors are good I've read several comments about the accomadation and facilities not being great - ok, I'm not stating this as fact so take this with a pinch...

Have you considered Algoa in PE? Talk to Glynis, excellent at coming back to you on email, very helpful. I called her before xmas and spoke to a Air2000 767 captain who was there with the wife (Easyjet captain!) taking a C172 for a spin around - he said it was a well run gaff. His FO had been there previously and had taken the C172 up to Namibia with some mates.

Good luck with it!