PDA

View Full Version : Weather in Florida in June?

Hufty
18th Feb 2003, 12:49
I am planning to head out Florida in June or July for some hour building and a few long x-country trips. Having never been there at that time of year, could anybody advise me if I'm likely to be grounded by weather at any stage and what the chances of encountering big thunderstorms will be?

Many thanks.
Hufty

TR4A
18th Feb 2003, 18:00
I lived in South Florida for four years. The summer months are hot and moist. You might see afternoon thunderstorms. They are usually very isolated.

fdf
18th Feb 2003, 19:44
Was in Floriday last July for 3 weeks flying. Very hot and uncomfortable. Thunderstorms were frequent, both afternoons and evenings with alot of time wasted waiting for them to pass. Am going back next year - won't be in July. Good luck.

McD
19th Feb 2003, 01:14
Hi Hufty,

I live in Central Florida, and what fdf and Tr4A say are correct. It's hot and humid in June and July, and it's the "wet" season, so you will likely have some days when you will be forced to change your flying plans due to weather.

However, as TR4A says, many times these storms are isolated, and they don't tend to remain in one particular area too long (they either move or fall apart), so you can often conduct your flying at a safe distance from the storms.

If you must do your hour-building here in June or July, it can be done; just allow some extra time. (And drink lots of water!)