PDA

View Full Version : JAR FROZEN ATPL 'THE ELITE PROGRAM'

CAT3C AUTOLAND
17th May 2000, 00:45
Greetings, fellow pilots and wannabes.

If anyone is interested, I have some information regarding the ‘elite program’ currently being promoted by PPSC, PAT and Pan Am flight training academy. If you are considering self-sponsorship for a frozen ATPL and have had the brochure for the elite program you may be interested in what I have to say.

I myself will be embarking on a professional pilot’s course next year and have been checking out a few schools. I came across PPSC, which, I am sure you all know as a very good ground school for all the TECH and NAV tuition for ATPL examinations. They have teamed up with Professional Air Training at Bournemouth and Pan Am in Florida to conduct a modular course for a frozen JAR ATPL for a very reasonable £35.5K! Please note, that things like accommodation in the UK and exam fees, flying and written, are not included but it should still work out less than £40K. Also note that an MCC course is included and is conducted at Southampton in a 6 axis all singing all dancing turbo-prop simulator, not sure on aircraft type yet!

Anyway, I have been to Bournemouth and checked things out down there and it seems to be good. The people there were very receptive and I had the chance to talk with an X student, who praised the school for their professionalism and quality. More importantly, I have recently been to the US and checked out the fair weather base at Pan Am Vero Beach Florida, who conduct all the single engine training. I thought this portion might be of interest to people who would not get the chance to visit the school in Florida (on saying that, it is highly recommended you check out a school who is going to take £35K off you!). I must admit I was most impressed with this establishment. Two English guys, who are very knowledgeable about JAR and the requirements, manage the course in Florida, which is encouraging. From my lengthy conversation with them, I got good vibes! Some places I have been to only seem to be interested in one thing, your money, but I did not get that impression off these guys. The complex is good with briefing rooms and visual aids. On saying that, as I speak, Pan Am are building a brand new complex in Fort Pierce, just south of Vero Beach to house their new school. This complex includes apartments with all the mod cons you would expect and it sounds great! What can I say about the aircraft? Well, they are fantastic! They are about a third of the way through replacing all their single engine trainers (Piper Warriors) with brand spanking new Piper Archer 3’s. I went on board one of their new aircraft and they are excellent. Not only do you get the smell of brand new interior and super clear polished instruments, but they all house 2 all singing, all dancing GPS units with full colour moving maps! At about this time next year, they will have replaced all their aircraft with brand new aircraft.

The overall picture of this program from my point of view is a good one! I would be interested in anyone else’s opinion if they have been to any of these places. Obviously my opinion is only one, and it will be open to criticism, but the vibes I got from these places were good and wanted to share it with all you guys and gals. Some of you may have been thinking about this program, I don’t know, but if you are then the above will be of interest to you.

Anyway I have waffled enough, happy flying all, any comments or opinions are welcome.

‘Decide’

‘Land’

CAT3C AUTOLAND.

Peeps,

I would like to add to this thread, as I have had a couple of e-mails regarding pricing. I posted this back in May of last year, and the price of the course has risen, I think it is now in the region of £39K, so please note that. Feed back from various individuals would also indicate good vibes and this is from people who have trained with these organisations, but there have been teething problems. Things to bare in mind I guess.

Thank you :)

[This message has been edited by CAT3C AUTOLAND (edited 03 January 2001).]

22nd Dec 2000, 03:16
Cat3c,

Hi, have you decided on a school yet?
Have you heard anything else about 'The Elite Program'? Or any other program for that matter.
I am also looking for a school to start my training towards the end of 2001.
I was looking at the ATA / South African route as well as this. Failing that I might "Build" my own program doing the seperate modules at schools that have the best rep. What do you think?
Happy Holidays!

D-Wolf
22nd Dec 2000, 12:26
Well in August next year, Im going to the states to get my education, only i havent completely decided on which school yet.
This Pan Am facility in Fort Pierce..do they teach from 0 hours up to JAR CPL / ATPL ? if they do, im definately going to that school.
Currently was thinking about "International Wings" in Myrna Beach Florida, but then i had to get my ATPL Theory back here in Europe, as well as do the reschooling from FAA PPL/CPL to JAR.
So let me know if this school does JAR CPL/ATPL, then im definately there.

VFE
22nd Dec 2000, 23:31
Thanks CAT,
Impeccable timing there mate. I am currently looking at the Elite Programme and your thoughts are really appreciated.

Keep 'em coming buddy.

Regards, VFE.

inyoni
23rd Dec 2000, 01:22
Cat3C Autoland is pretty accurate in his description of Pan Am. Been there, done that got the Tee-shirt etc. Comments about the CAA qualified guys are very accurate, so no problem there. Only adverse comment is that, and this is purely a personal view, that the Pan Am Deer Valley set up will eventually become the hub for Pan Am's Flight training . Not that there is anything wrong with the Fort Pierce set up it just that the geographic location of Arizona vs Florida becomes a no contest issue regarding primary flight training, Lufthansa are there, so are Sabena, Embry-Riddle, UND Aerospace (who co-incidentally are as big as Flight Safety in CPL FT) and I'm sure someone will point out more. The scenery and the flying challenges (desert, forest, mountains lakes, vast distances make VFR navigation interesting compared with - Ocean W/E, circumnavigating Okachobee and other various lakes, swamps and orange groves with a flatness that seems unending). This may appeal to some people, but as an instructor I cannot acclaim the environment of Arizona enough for the conduct of VFR flight training as well as the allure of seeing these attractions from the ground as well as from the air. It is something else to do a touch and go at Sedona - it's like landing on an aircraft carrier deck, surrounded by stunning scenery, taking off at Prescott at 5000 and leaning out the mixture to peak and still struggling with climb performance after take-off. This is a real learning environment for the VFR part of flight training.
The Pan Am Deer Valley set-up has pretty much all what the Fort Pierce arrange has and much more aircraft. Watch this space so they say and see where Pan Am's locus of focus is in a couple of years, if I'm wrong I'll be surprised.
Why do we Brits have this love affair with Florida for flying training? I'd say that Arizona has to be the place to learn to fly in in the future!

23rd Dec 2000, 02:42
D-Wolf,

The flying training is with Pan-Am, the ground school is with PPSC in Bournmouth and the professional flight tests are with PAT also in Bournmouth.
It seems like a very good course which is competetively priced.

Happy Holidays.

I'mGonnaBounce-BoingBoing
23rd Dec 2000, 04:33
D-Wolf - Answer to your question - yes Pan Am do start from 0, you do your PPL/night/imc/multi then build to 150 hrs, return to the UK for ATPL's return to Pan Am for CPL/IR training, return to UK for CPL/IR tests, then go to OATS for MCC

CAT3C AUTOLAND
23rd Dec 2000, 20:53
Bloody hell guys, I posted this one back in May! :)

Anyway, 152, I have pretty much decided that I will be following the 'Elite' route, which is due to start on the 5th of March 2001, I have my Class One medical booked for the 11th of January 2001, so all going well, I should be starting then. Mmmm......on saying that, I may be giving BA one more shot, so if that came home, I would be the happiest man on the planet, and I have already chosen the Bike I will be riding up to Oxford on, the Suzuki GSX 750, nice! :) Well I have the spend the money I have saved up some how! :)

VFE, no problems for the thoughts mate.

Well, I may see some of you guys next year? Has anyone else been interested in this program? Thoughts welcome. It would be nice to hear from people who are planning to start the same time as me.

Cheers guys and girls

CAT3C

VFE
23rd Dec 2000, 22:32
Hang in there Cat cause I may be coming with ya in March. Going to see them next week!

Regards, VFE.

CAT3C AUTOLAND
24th Dec 2000, 14:12
VFE, excellent news, drop us a mail if you like.

Cheers.

Albatross 7
25th Dec 2000, 06:59
CATC/VFE: Yep, class 1 complete & booking to start on 5th March. Visiting PAT,PPSC on the 8th Jan. Hope to see you all there! :) :) :)

25th Dec 2000, 07:10
VFE - Drop us a line mate - look forward to seeing u here in FPR - And anyone else who want's an inpartial view of out here in FPR PanAm feel free to drop me a line

[This message has been edited by I'mGonnaBounce-BoingBoing (edited 25 December 2000).]

D-Wolf
25th Dec 2000, 13:07
So there is not a school in the USA that does JAR CPL and PPL with all the time in the US ?

26th Dec 2000, 00:41
Hey CAT3C,

Not bad eh !
You had no replys back in May, now all of a sudden you have 13!!!!!!!

Merry Christmas.

26th Dec 2000, 02:15
D-Wolf there are currently only two schools licensed by the CAA to train JAR above the PPL level in the USA. Pan Am in Fort Pierce and Western Michigan University. WMU train the integrated course and Pan Am do the modular course. For a list of licensings see: http://www.srg.caa.co.uk/documents/srg_fcl_approvedftos.pdf .
Pan Am will train you for the flying stages of the PPL and CPL, however they are not licensed to train the theroetical (So you must return to the UK). You can self study the theory for the PPL (which IMO is not that hard to do) and take the exams in Fort Pierce. See http://www.panamacademy.com/ look under "Career Pilot" then click on the JAA star.
WMU will do absolutely everything in the USA, but it's an integrated course, so I think it's much more expensive, but why not check them out anyway: (no prices online, so get them to send you an info pack)http://www.aviation.wmich.edu/

D-Wolf
26th Dec 2000, 13:02
thank you very much...any ideas on how much difference there is in the price ?

CAT3C AUTOLAND
26th Dec 2000, 14:20
Albatross7, that is good news, I just hope to god that I pass my medical on Jan 11th! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif

152, yep no replies last May, perhaps I was a little premature in Hunting for schools, to start next year!? :)

Looking forward to putting some faces to all these names!

Cheers guys and Merry Christmas!

CAT 3C

27th Dec 2000, 01:32
I got an info pack from WMU last year and the price quoted for the full course was circa. £50,000.

cortilla
27th Dec 2000, 14:45
Not certain about how Wmich does it but..... The intergrated course does cost a snatch more, but you get many more instrument flying hours (about 115) and many more multi hours (50) as well, which leaves you much more desireable to the airlines.

28th Dec 2000, 05:12
I feel that we may be getting back into the classic modular vs integrated course arguments again. Just remember that an integrated course has a lot more diffences than just the amount of hours you receive. While I sure everyone would agree that quantity of hours are very important, if that were the only consideration, everyone would just do a modular course and build all the hours they could for the 15000pound difference (150hrs extra multi anyone?:-))

Sprawler
28th Dec 2000, 13:49
Guys, when you add up all those little extras, e.g. MCC course, Airline Prep course, flights to the US, accomodation in the UK etc. etc. it doesn't work out that much cheaper than some of the fully integrated courses. Your looking at approx £45,000.

jollygreengiant
28th Dec 2000, 14:07
D-Wolf

Don't hold your breath for WMU - I requested the info about two months ago haven't heard anything yet.

Sprawler
28th Dec 2000, 17:00
Jollygreen,

I have some info I received from WMU last May, but it may be a little out of date by now. I'll forward it to your email address. Also, have a look at their website: www.aviation.wmich.edu/sps/ (http://www.aviation.wmich.edu/sps/)

D-Wolf
28th Dec 2000, 19:30
chance i could get them send as well ?
thx

Sprawler
28th Dec 2000, 19:59
No prob D-Wolf. Anybody elso who wants a copy, just give me a mail.

29th Dec 2000, 14:03
Sprawler I think you've over estimated the PA cost. I planned 36000UK+4000UK accomadation (unfortunately the change from 1.6 to 1.4 dollar conversion rate has increased the price recently to closer 40000UK total) if I remember correctly WMU was around 80000US, which at todays rates is 56000UK. 16000UK is still a lot of money IMHO :-) (I know I missed accounting for 6 months uk accomadation!)
regards,
Bouncer

jollygreengiant
30th Dec 2000, 00:45
Cheers for the info Sprawler.

It's a bit expensive isn't it. The last info I got from OATS was about that sort of money, possibly a bit more. But do you get more hours in WMU than you do in OATS? At the moment I can't be bothered looking through the stuff again.

Lightning ace
31st May 2001, 16:40
Anyone actually out there on the 'elite' course.
Never heard of it before. Heard of ppsc of course.
What about mcc course, at oats ?
What about job support after course ?